How did the Post cupboard get so bare?

BYU Cougars on the court.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: How did the Post cupboard get so bare?

Post by BoiseBYU »

Totally speculative, but I wonder if Rose thought Mika was going on a mission? I'm really glad he did and admire the decision, but if you thought Mika was staying and you assume Austin will be around, and you think Ayetes (S&P?) will be around and none work out, well, how many coaches have a viable fourth option? And you can be John Wooden, but if you lose that number of players, you're not going to do as well....

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I thought it was known from the get go that Mika would go on a mission after his freshman year. I thought he came in with that understanding. And, didn't Aytes transfer to BYU in the middle of last season?

I think Rose thought Neilson and Austin would turn out better than they have. It's hard to tell how good a big will be as they are essentially men among boys in High School.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BoiseBYU wrote:Totally speculative, but I wonder if Rose thought Mika was going on a mission? I'm really glad he did and admire the decision, but if you thought Mika was staying and you assume Austin will be around, and you think Ayetes (S&P?) will be around and none work out, well, how many coaches have a viable fourth option? And you can be John Wooden, but if you lose that number of players, you're not going to do as well....
So much all of this (other than Mika mission thing, as it was known).

Austin is a better player than any of the big men we have playing. Aytes would provide the scoring punch. Worthington doesn't look nearly as bad as a 3rd or 4th big. He can come in and bang on defense, screen on offense, and rebound.

As we've seen in football, when you're starting your 3rd and 4th guys instead of your 1st and 2nd, it's a big deal.