Impact of SD Loss

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Impact of SD Loss

Post by Qman »

BlueIsBetter wrote:When your best point guard is coming off the bench in a reserve role (and no, I'm not talking about Winder, he is a 2 guard), you are going to have ball security problems. And I've said as much all season. BYU doesn't have a point guard, and should give a serious look to starting Halford in the 4 guard lineup, especially with Fischers down play (He could rotate in as a three headed monster with WInder, he and Halford splitting minutes at the one and two positions). KC can have the ball all he wants on the wings in the 3 point stance, but the days of him bringing the ball down the court should be gone. Get the ball to him on the wing and watch the defense worry about where he is all of the time. WHen he has the ball it's much easier to worry about him. Have him post and make back cuts and come off screens, the same way Haws does. He can't shoot from mid-range on, but he can get the ball in space, take a dribble and draw attention and dish or get to the line.
Are you seriously implying that Halford is a point guard? What is the first, most important part of being a point guard? Ball-handling/ball security. Halford is terrible at that.

I think we are going to need to matchup specific for bring the ball up the court. When KC is playing the 4 he will have an advantage but if opponent's 4 is guarding Winder or Fischer they should bring the ball up.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BlueIsBetter wrote:When your best point guard is coming off the bench in a reserve role (and no, I'm not talking about Winder, he is a 2 guard), you are going to have ball security problems. And I've said as much all season. BYU doesn't have a point guard, and should give a serious look to starting Halford in the 4 guard lineup, especially with Fischers down play (He could rotate in as a three headed monster with WInder, he and Halford splitting minutes at the one and two positions). KC can have the ball all he wants on the wings in the 3 point stance, but the days of him bringing the ball down the court should be gone. Get the ball to him on the wing and watch the defense worry about where he is all of the time. WHen he has the ball it's much easier to worry about him. Have him post and make back cuts and come off screens, the same way Haws does. He can't shoot from mid-range on, but he can get the ball in space, take a dribble and draw attention and dish or get to the line.
I agree we do not have a PG. I agree KC is playing out of position.

I wholeheartedly disagree that Halford should start. He's a turnover machine, gets pushed around defense, has less length, and can't get to the rim. I'd take Winder bringing up the ball over Halford any day. In fact, I'd prefer Winder at PG over KC.

Winder ran point for the first half of the season his freshman year and did it against some solid opponents. He was then Carlino's backup.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I think KC is our best PG. I have no problem with him bringing it up the floor. I honestly prefer him to Carlino because KC looks to get others involved and Carlino has only ever cared about getting his own.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

hawkwing wrote: I honestly prefer him to Carlino because KC looks to get others involved and Carlino has only ever cared about getting his own.
I think this may be a little harsh, although Carlino was a shoot-first kind of player (not usually what you want at the point).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Schmoe wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I honestly prefer him to Carlino because KC looks to get others involved and Carlino has only ever cared about getting his own.
I think this may be a little harsh, although Carlino was a shoot-first kind of player (not usually what you want at the point).
I think there is a lot of projecting that goes on with the criticisms of Carlino. He gave no indication that he wasn't anything less than a team player while at BYU. He came off the bench when "demoted" and took it like a champ.

And unless KC keeps up his current assist average, Carlino currently holds the single season record for highest assist average. A guy "looking to get his own" doesn't dole out nearly 5 assists a game. Had we had more shooters last year other than Haws, Carlino would have averaged 6+ assists a game.

Jimmer on the other hand hardly passed the ball...

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I think there is a lot of projecting that goes on with the criticisms of Carlino. He gave no indication that he wasn't anything less than a team player while at BYU. He came off the bench when "demoted" and took it like a champ.

And unless KC keeps up his current assist average, Carlino currently holds the single season record for highest assist average. A guy "looking to get his own" doesn't dole out nearly 5 assists a game. Had we had more shooters last year other than Haws, Carlino would have averaged 6+ assists a game.

Jimmer on the other hand hardly passed the ball...
Jimmer took much smarter shots.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:
He is BYU's all time leader in assists per game! ALL TIME LEADER!!! And that was coming off the bench for last year.

SHEESH!!! Get it together, Hawk.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Assists per game

2014-15 Season:
KC: 5.8
Carlino: 3.3

2013-14 Season:
KC: 4.6
Carlino: 4.3

2012-13 Season:
KC: NA
Carlino: 4.8

2011-12 Season:
Carlino: 4.6

Looks to me as if KC may be the better assist guy, if nothing else, it's a tie. KC has gotten better, Carlino has gotten worse. KC, if he keeps this pace up will average nearly 6 assists per game for the whole season, significantly better than any year Carlino has had.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:Assists per game

2014-15 Season:

2013-14 Season:

2012-13 Season:

2011-12 Season:

Looks to me as if KC may be the better assist guy, if nothing else, it's a tie. KC has gotten better, Carlino has gotten worse. KC, if he keeps this pace up will average nearly 6 assists per game for the whole season, significantly better than any year Carlino has had.
I hope that KC does keep it up! You understand you are comparing apples to oranges with respect to this year's numbers, Carlino is on a team where not everyone shoots (imagine that, some guys actually recruited to rebound and block and thats it... Zoinks!!!). Marquette doesn't play the same kind of basketball. Carlino is asked to score more (his scoring avg is up considerably) and the actual quality of teams isn't even CLOSE to being the same thing. Carlino is going up against guys that are NBA bound on a weekly basis in the WCC. The WCC? Not so much...

I wish we had both... Could you imagine KColl cutting to the hoop with someone that actually keeps their head up when they dribble? It would have been great...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

hawkwing wrote:Assists per game

2014-15 Season:

2013-14 Season:

2012-13 Season:

2011-12 Season:

Imagine how many more assists that Collinsworth would have had last year if Carlino would have made more of his shots... ;)