Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is BYU basketball getting worse?

Post by Schmoe »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:Let's not forget the over the next 2 years we got a lot of talent coming off missions.
When don't we say this? What year hasn't this seemed true?
This year. We knew that this year we didn't have any tallent coming off of a mission, and that much of our front court depth is at the freshman level. It's been a tough year, but still fun to watch
But isn't there talent coming back for next year? Wouldn't that put this year within "over the next 2 years"?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Schmoe wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:Let's not forget the over the next 2 years we got a lot of talent coming off missions.
This year. We knew that this year we didn't have any tallent coming off of a mission, and that much of our front court depth is at the freshman level. It's been a tough year, but still fun to watch
But isn't there talent coming back for next year? Wouldn't that put this year within "over the next 2 years"?
That's a good point. We did have Collinsworth coming off his mission last year, and so that covers last year and this, and next year we have some talent returning too, so "over the next two years" is going to include a bunch of players. That doesn't change the fact that we didn't get much in the way of talent off of a mission this year.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We're certainly not getting better. Few thoughts:

1) IMO the WCC is a bit underrated. As a whole, the WCC is rising, which is a good thing.
2) BYU was often a bubble team in the MWC. We're still a bubble team. No question BYU peaked during Jimmer's Junior and Senior years. We've dropped back down. If you recall, prior to 2010 and 2011 we often lost 9 games in a season. In 2007 when we won the MWC, our record was 25 - 9 with 3 in-conference losses (two of those against UNLV). We were all really excited about reaching 25 wins and at the time that season was an apex. We were convinced Lee Cummard and Trent Plaisted would take us as far as the Sweet 16. We can still do better than 25 - 9 this season.
3) While we have some superb athletes on the team right now (KC, Haws, Winder, Fischer) but they are all guards. We're an extremely one dimensional team. If we had Chris Miles at center we'd be 2nd in the WCC. Unfortunately, no matter how talented our guards are the void created by our bigs is just too big.
4) My biggest gripe with Rose is his lack of down-low scheming. You don't have to have an Araujo or Davies to have an inside game. You can cut, create back doors, etc. down low. We do none of these. But the ball has to go there first.
5) In all of our conference losses we started out slow. Our strength is our guards, so unless we come out of the gates hard and fast we don't win. We have to have opponents playing on their heels. This team does not win coming from behind.
5) Rose has a huge problem with the front court to fix this off season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I would say there are several issues that have hurt BYU.

1. The way the game is played in the WCC is different than it was in the MWC, and we haven't made the proper adjustments yet. Whether because we're stuck with personnel recruited for the MWC or coaches haven't adjusted, I'm unsure. I actually believe this is a bigger problem on the defensive side than offensive.

2. The mission age change has hurt hoops more than football, and that's unquestionable (although I believe it's an under reported issue in football too). It starts to turn next year.

3. Utah actually caring about instate recruiting for the first time since Majerus was there has been bad for BYU. In Boylen's last year, none of the players on their roster were from Utah. (I actually think this is becoming a problem for BYU's football team...not focusing on in state kids and trying to find out of staters too much).

4. The WCC officials are worse than the MWC. They are so inconsistent. BYU relies on rhythm, and if they don't get into it because the other team is allowed to physically take them out of it, then BYU is hosed.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Schmoe wrote:
Lone peak kids got some serious talent when they all get together. Espn says it a lot in the next 2-3 years don't be surprised to see BYU in the final four.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Let's be realistic here we all should have know this my be a down year for us. We lost a very talented center to a mission with nobody to replace him. The big r awful this year. It could have been a diff season if ayers and Austin would be healthy. We get killed in the post it's easy pickins down there. Then the 3 not falling we r in trouble.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

The BBall team is FB team version 2 of the injury bug. We haven't had a complete team with the absence of Austin and Aytes which was supposed to help shore up the inside game. Note how competitive we were for the games in which Austin was able to compete/play. This year we don't have the depth to step up for the injured players. On he other hand, this year has forced the younger players to play in difficult circumstances which will likely hasten the development process down the road.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

To me you have to look at it in context. In just the last couple years the :utard: up north have gone from a terrible team that was bleeding players to a liget top ten team. Meanwhile we have sunk to a midlevel WCC team.

No matter how you analyze it and justify it...That sucks! :sick: .

I've always thought we should have been searching the world for quality bigs..and since when has Austin become a quality big. The guy couldn't find the hole if he fell into it.

Anyway just the opinion of a life long Cougar fan.

L Hatton
Louisville, KY
Last edited by KYCoug on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

KYCoug wrote:To me you have to look at it in context. In just the last couple years the :utard: up north have gone from a terrible team that was bleeding players to a liget top ten team. Meanwhile we have sunk to a midlevel WCC team.

No matter how you analyze it and justify it...That sucks! :sick: .

I've always thought we should have been searching the world for quality bigs..and since when has Austin become a quality big. The guy couldn't hole if he fell into it.

Anyway just the opinion of a life long Cougar fan.

L Hatton
Louisville, KY
Austin can play def and hit the boards and any points he adds is gravy he does little things aka the BYU Rodman

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

When Nate Austin is the answer to what a team is missing, your team isn't very good. Above average? Maybe.