Rice on his way back?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rice on his way back?

Post by Brayden Green »

UNLV having a relatively disappointing year after just getting trounced by Utah State. Is it possible he gets let go and we swoop in to get him? Loved him during his time here, and I think that he would be a shoe in for next in line after a few more years under Rose. I can't see him coaching for much longer than his 5 year extension, with all his health concerns etc.

Like #23 and KG, is it time to come back home?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Re: Rice on his way back?

Post by BYULV »

Rice is definitely in the hotseat here in LV. He is not a current fan favorite. Depending how the season finishes out, he might get one more year to try to prove himself, but public opinion is not on his side. I wouldn't be surprised to see him let go by UNLV, but I don't see him coming back to BYU. Also, I don't think he is LDS which makes it unlikely he would be in the running for the head coaching spot.

I think Coach Pope has positioned himself as a likely candidate to replace Rose when the time comes. Maybe Austin Ainge would throw his hat into the ring if the timings right; he has assistant and head coaching experience as well as experience with recruiting and player development. Who else is out there positioning themselves to replace Coach Rose?

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

I guess I could be convinced to throw my hat into the ring. I've coached four championship young men's teams in six years. Maybe that would get me a five year million dollar contract. Also, since I have not had the opportunity to go to any games and sit by Rose, can the coach use swear words like (and please pardon my French a) h$ck and d@rn?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think Terry Nashif is the heir-apparent right now.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

Coach Rice just received a contract extension last year. I am sure he has at least one more year to go at UNLV. His team is very, very young this year. If he can keep his current players in the program, along with his current recruits, the win-loss record will be better and he might survive in Vegas. Regardless, I don't think we will ever see him on BYU's sideline again.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I've heard that there are some hard feelings between Rice and BYU. From people who claim to know some things they don't expect Rice to ever be back at BYU even if he leaves UNLV and there were a spot at BYU available.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

If Bronco left BYU, would he return to New Mexico as defensive coordinator?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

If (possibly when) Bronco gets released, he'll be done. Anything you could send my way Hawk, or can anyone pm me regarding bad feelings about Rice here. I haven't heard anything. I think an opportunity sprang up and he took it. Most don't like Nashif, I must admit I don't know much about the assistants, but I'm not impressed about the coaching since Rice left. There has been a big drop off in coaching since he left, in my opinion. We are dropping silly games that we used to not, and other clock related and matchup related things. Plus, that zone is terrible, and they can't play man. Which of the blame lies where as far as the coaching tree?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think the local Lewis would be a good choice. I know he is a big part of our pipeline but the guy can coach. Maybe they should make him an assistant a couple of years before Rose leaves.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BlueIsBetter wrote:If (possibly when) Bronco gets released, he'll be done. Anything you could send my way Hawk, or can anyone pm me regarding bad feelings about Rice here. I haven't heard anything. I think an opportunity sprang up and he took it. Most don't like Nashif, I must admit I don't know much about the assistants, but I'm not impressed about the coaching since Rice left. There has been a big drop off in coaching since he left, in my opinion. We are dropping silly games that we used to not, and other clock related and matchup related things. Plus, that zone is terrible, and they can't play man. Which of the blame lies where as far as the coaching tree?

Actually, these arguments might have worked early this season, but fall flat now that we are seeing the defense, especially the zone, becoming effective. And coaching has also been good down the stretch. They have had to make a lot of adjustments and be creative with personnel because of injuries. The big men are actually starting to show enough promise that worthington has been losing minutes. This BYU team has been a mess for a good portion of this season and the coaches have started to right the ship. We are back in NCAA Tournament discussions which is a huge accomplishment with the team we have.. Overall not perfect, but making progress.