The Future is Bright

BYU Cougars on the court.
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Future is Bright

Post by Wolverine »

This is the kind of moxie you love to see from a future Cougar (even if he currently dons red and white). " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are a lot of good players in the pipeline. I am excited for the future of BYU basketball.

nuk13
All-American

Re: The Future is Bright

Post by nuk13 »

He hits them when it counts.

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

Future so bright, I gotta wear sunglasses.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I wish it was as simple as a guy making one clutch shot. The future is good, but I'm looking for a glimmer of greatness once again.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Gotta get The Frank!!

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

EM_Puma wrote:I wish it was as simple as a guy making one clutch shot. The future is good, but I'm looking for a glimmer of greatness once again.
Who said anything about it being as simple as a guy making one clutch shot? The kid is averaging 26.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, 48% FG, 41% 3pt, and 80% FT. With recruits like this and others that are in the pipeline I think the future is very bright. As far as the return to greatness....outside of a couple of NIT championships from over 50 years ago and one Elite 8 run (Ainge's Senior Year) and one Sweet 16 run (Jimmer's Senior Year) there isn't a whole lot of historical greatness to return to. I would be happy with a return to winning a conference championship, top 25 rankings, and making some noise in the NCAA tournament as opposed to perennial bubble status this time of year.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Wolverine wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:I wish it was as simple as a guy making one clutch shot. The future is good, but I'm looking for a glimmer of greatness once again.
Who said anything about it being as simple as a guy making one clutch shot? The kid is averaging 26.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 4.1 apg, 48% FG, 41% 3pt, and 80% FT. With recruits like this and others that are in the pipeline I think the future is very bright. As far as the return to greatness....outside of a couple of NIT championships from over 50 years ago and one Elite 8 run (Ainge's Senior Year) and one Sweet 16 run (Jimmer's Senior Year) there isn't a whole lot of historical greatness to return to. I would be happy with a return to winning a conference championship, top 25 rankings, and making some noise in the NCAA tournament as opposed to perennial bubble status this time of year.
Too many BYU fans suffer from delusions of grandeur. Jimmer was an anomaly as far as BYU hoops goes. Doesn't mean it won't happen again or such seasons can't become more regular, but they are not the norm if you look back at BYU hoops. In the last 10 years BYU has enjoyed more success than it typically did in the 100 years preceding.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Gunk wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Too many BYU fans suffer from delusions of grandeur. Jimmer was an anomaly as far as BYU hoops goes. Doesn't mean it won't happen again or such seasons can't become more regular, but they are not the norm if you look back at BYU hoops. In the last 10 years BYU has enjoyed more success than it typically did in the 100 years preceding.

I agree Jimmer was anomaly mostly because he developed to much higher level than anyone expected. Our new recruits are at a level for us to have a reasonable expectation of very good college players. Mika showed us as a true freshman a very talented big guy looked like. I am hoping to see similar good showing from the rest of our guys.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Oh I agree that Elite 8 and Sweet 16 runs have been few and far between, but isn't that what we want as a fan? That was more what my point was to returning to the more glorious seasons. I can even handle seasons when you get beat by legitimate good/great teams, but seasons like this year where we lose twice to Pepperdine or to San Diego? Come on, that's just doesn't cut it.

I grew up a Cleveland Indians fan. The 60's, then the 70's, then the 80's and nothing (2nd or 3rd place finish at best), but I was still a fan. Yet there was always the hope in a new season and I don't know that people follow sports much (unless their kids are playing) for teams that don't ever excel. There will always be loyal and true fans of every program, but I've learned a lot over these last couple of years that maybe allowing some sport to affect my enjoyment of life is taking it too far. For me that's been a hard lesson learned, because that is where I was. There's just too much quality stuff to do to waste time if someone is not going to give you their best.

I attended BYU for three years, but I actually graduated from the University of Akron. Talk about sports teams that never seem to excel and yet you care about them. Akron has been to one bowl game and a few times into the NCAA tournament, but every years it's watching them chase their own tails and that's why, beyond the Acme-Zip game (Akron vs. Kent State), if they get a thousand fans, they're feeling good about themselves. That's when sport teams are hard to follow--but that hope never diminishes.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

Cosic (sp), Ainge, Fredette and a few others could all be called anomalies. Were their high school days better than those on current team or the recruits? I don't know, I haven't been back to look. You take a chance on every recruit. Kyle's brother was 6' 9" and had his leg go out if I remember. This not to rank on you Puma, I'm just saying that you do the best you can with what is shown by these kids and hope they come and pan out. I agree with Wolverine, the Seljaas kid not only hit a clutch shot he has very good season stats. I look forward to seeing him change from red to blue and hope he is the next anomaly.