From Greg Wrubell prior to tip-off today:
Tonight's loss = 16 point margin of defeat, bringing the average gap to 13.6

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rose's Inexplicable Slump Continues

Post by BroncoBot »

And yet, this is probably the first time I was satisfied with the effort I saw from start to finish by BYU. They played a great game and I credit Rose. They were playing arguably one of the top 10 teams in the country who had a lot of things go right for them. This loss didn't bother me.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote:This loss didn't bother me.
Lots of things about this loss bothered me.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:
Let's discuss.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Defense wins championships. Is there really some surprise about this? I was more bummed we lost last year. This year, not so much. Austin and winder out vs a top ten team.
Inexplicable? Maybe a little dramatic?

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Defense wins championships. Is there really some surprise about this? I was more bummed we lost last year. This year, not so much. Austin and winder out vs a top ten team.
Inexplicable? Maybe a little dramatic?

Defense wins championships is just a silly way of saying the more athletic, bigger, stronger and deeper team can usually play better defense for the entire game. They also tend to be the more talented team. So you could just say the team with more talented players win championships.

Or as we saw with the Spurs last year and the Mavericks a few years before that, you can have a okay defense if your offense is all-world.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Last night's loss isn't "inexplicable" whatsoever. Played the #7 team in the country who will be a #2 seed out west. Played the #7 team in the country who has dominating big men going up against three freshman and a would be offensive lineman. Played the #7 team in the country who has a senior experienced guard line and the WCC's defensive player of the year. Played the #7 team in the country who is coached by arguably one of the finest and classiest coaches in the country. Played the #7 team in the country in a hard-fought, down and dirty contest and got beat by the better team. Seems to me that this is pretty easy to explain.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Wolverine wrote:Last night's loss isn't "inexplicable" whatsoever. Played the #7 team in the country who will be a #2 seed out west. Played the #7 team in the country who has dominating big men going up against three freshman and a would be offensive lineman. Played the #7 team in the country who has a senior experienced guard line and the WCC's defensive player of the year. Played the #7 team in the country who is coached by arguably one of the finest and classiest coaches in the country. Played the #7 team in the country in a hard-fought, down and dirty contest and got beat by the better team. Seems to me that this is pretty easy to explain.
That's all fine and dandy, but not on point. Thread title refers to the slump as inexplicable, not last night's loss.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Let's discuss.
1) Fischer and Haws continuing to play Jimmer-esque defense without Jimmer-esque offense to compensate
2) Frank Bartley's complete and utter inability to put the ball in the hoop from within 10 feet of the rim
3) Tyler Haw's penchant for disappearing in big games
4) Andrus more concerned about trying to hold Karnowski's hand than play any semblance of defense
5) Andrus continuing to come off the bench before Nielson
6) Stupid/desperate shots when the game is already out of hand that led to what should have been a 9 point loss instead being a 16 point loss

And so on.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

snoscythe wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Last night's loss isn't "inexplicable" whatsoever. Played the #7 team in the country who will be a #2 seed out west. Played the #7 team in the country who has dominating big men going up against three freshman and a would be offensive lineman. Played the #7 team in the country who has a senior experienced guard line and the WCC's defensive player of the year. Played the #7 team in the country who is coached by arguably one of the finest and classiest coaches in the country. Played the #7 team in the country in a hard-fought, down and dirty contest and got beat by the better team. Seems to me that this is pretty easy to explain.
That's all fine and dandy, but not on point. Thread title refers to the slump as inexplicable, not last night's loss.
My bad. I thought the thread title was referring as to why the "inexplicable" slump continued as of last night.