Lunardi's latest bracket has us playing...

BYU Cougars on the court.
kjjson
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lunardi's latest bracket has us playing...

Post by kjjson »

:utard:
I still don't understand how he has us as "moved down", but we are no longer in the last 4 in.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Lunardi's latest bracket has us playing...

Post by snoscythe »

As of this morning, we are no longer in the play-in....we are the last "bye" team and rewarded with a #12 seed playing #5....... Utah in....... Portland, which would be a FUN game.

Then we'd have to knock off Louisville to get a crack at Kentucky in the Sweet 16:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Wow, that would be awesome to play the Utes. That's a must win game. Louisville is one of my sleeper picks to go to the Final 4 or beyond so I think that would be very tough second match-up. And Kentucky? Man, in my books Kentucky and Louisville are two of the best teams and I'd like to see both in the Final 4.

BTW, what was Louisville ranked when we beat them a few years back? The Gonzaga win was the greatest since 81, but wasn't Louisville ranked pretty high when we beat them?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

byufan4ever wrote: BTW, what was Louisville ranked when we beat them a few years back? The Gonzaga win was the greatest since 81, but wasn't Louisville ranked pretty high when we beat them?
2007. They were ranked #6.

http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/post ... louisville" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Sorry, we can't be the 12th seed if all of the "last 4 in" are 11's. The lowest seed we could have in this scenario is 11.

The first 4 are the final four AT-LARGE teams.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Sorry, we can't be the 12th seed if all of the "last 4 in" are 11's. The lowest seed we could have in this scenario is 11.

The first 4 are the final four AT-LARGE teams.
Seeding doesn't always follow the order of teams in/out of the tourney. It all depends on how the at-larges fit in.

The NCAA selection committee first decides who the 36 at large teams are. This is based on a season-long overall assessment of the teams' resumes.

Then they throw them all in a pot with the 32 auto bids and sort from #1 to #68 and then slap the brackets together and do some finessing with the seeds for matchups etc. The seeding is based on how well the team is playing lately, or how likely the committee feels you are to win in the tournament.

Seeding is not set by how close you make the cut on the overall resume assessment getting in, it's set on your likelihood of winning out.

....at least that's how I've always understood it.