BYU vs Ole Miss in Dayton

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs Ole Miss in Dayton

Post by snoscythe »

I'd be content if the team manages to "forget" Bartley at the arena tonight.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Virtually every one of the 16 offensive boards led to points. That was the difference in my book. That and a second half defense that made a sieve look tough

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Qman wrote:
Gunk wrote:I swear, Bartley single handedly lost that game for us. Unbelievable.

Defense was atrocious in the second half. Oh well...next season.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
So the offensive fouls Sharp made count differently? Or the terrible turnovers KC made? You are just seeing what you want to see.

Also did you notice the Ole Miss put Halford out of the game by going at him on every possession for a several minutes. It was during their big run. They would set it up so they could beat Halford, the help would come and then dunk. Bartley could compete defensively and on the boards and he made some bad decisions. The problem was we didn't really have anyone else to go to. Maybe Andrus at 4.

If we had healthy Winder we could have countered more effectively.
I am not seeing what I want to see.

Other than a couple rebounds, what did Bartley contribute? No points, 4 fouls, and several turnovers.

KC turned the ball over like crazy in this game but he also scored, drew fouls, rebounded and handed out assists. Better passing by KC would have gone a long ways but there was no question as to whether KC belonged on the court.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BoiseBYU wrote:Virtually every one of the 16 offensive boards led to points. That was the difference in my book. That and a second half defense that made a sieve look tough
Don't forget that byu was outscored 25-0 on points off turnovers. That, in my book, is the worst misdeed of the evening.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BoiseBYU wrote:Virtually every one of the 16 offensive boards led to points. That was the difference in my book. That and a second half defense that made a sieve look tough
The turnover numbers are sickening too. Ole Miss feasted on turnover points and 2nd chances. Really lazy work on BYU's part.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Gunk wrote:
Qman wrote:
Gunk wrote:I swear, Bartley single handedly lost that game for us. Unbelievable.

Defense was atrocious in the second half. Oh well...next season.

So the offensive fouls Sharp made count differently? Or the terrible turnovers KC made? You are just seeing what you want to see.

Also did you notice the Ole Miss put Halford out of the game by going at him on every possession for a several minutes. It was during their big run. They would set it up so they could beat Halford, the help would come and then dunk. Bartley could compete defensively and on the boards and he made some bad decisions. The problem was we didn't really have anyone else to go to. Maybe Andrus at 4.

If we had healthy Winder we could have countered more effectively.
I am not seeing what I want to see.

Other than a couple rebounds, what did Bartley contribute? No points, 4 fouls, and several turnovers.

KC turned the ball over like crazy in this game but he also scored, drew fouls, rebounded and handed out assists. Better passing by KC would have gone a long ways but there was no question as to whether KC belonged on the court.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-men ... u-ole-miss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ahem

Bartley's line

4 pts, 5 rebs, 2 tos, 3 fouls

I think we just see things differently. I agree Bartley failed a lot. But in my opinion several of the turnovers happening when Frank was trying to make the right play. Last year he was just a heat seeking missile going to the rim. Maybe with another offseason he can start to complete more of the right plays.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

If only everyone could have 2:1 point to turnover ratio! :roll:

Anyone who watched that game that wants to argue that Bartley wasn't anything other than a massive offensive liability has zero credibility. ZERO credibility.

I'd rather have this guy handling the ball than to re-watch what Bartley did tonight:

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BroncoBot wrote:
Don't forget that byu was outscored 25-0 on points off turnovers. That, in my book, is the worst misdeed of the evening.
I think you're right. That's sickening.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Difference in second half that led to MS scoring 62 second half points, is attributed to the 3 guards from MS beating our guards off the dribble, creating pressure resulting in subsequent turnovers, and breaking down the D to feed Rhett for easy dunks. Once their inside game was established, they then were able to swing the ball outside for some 3s as well. When MS tied the game, you could feel the momentum change in their favor. KC and Winder also playing hurt limited our depth and it showed. If the big 3 were all scoring (Haws, Fisher and KC with ample support from Halford and Winder), we win this game readily. We really missed Winder as another good defender and shooter. FB is not at Winder's level yet and he couldn't make up the difference.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byucougar1 wrote:When MS tied the game, you could feel the momentum change in their favor.
That's the problem--BYU didn't get serious until AFTER they blew a 17 point lead. They let Ole Miss build that momentum, and then went into panic mode. The momentum changed from the start of the second half. It just took BYU 10 minutes to realize it.