BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lunardi likes the Cougs

Post by EM_Puma »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESPN's Joe Lunardi, in his bracket, picks BYU over Ole Miss and Xavier and believes we have a chance to make Sweet 16 (which would require beating Baylor). It's nice to hear, but I only hope it comes out as he believes.

tmoney35
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Lunardi likes the Cougs

Post by tmoney35 »

and this guy has us going to the sweet 16!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... dictions-2

Wouldn't that be something! I'd be ecstatic just to get the round a 32. Heck, even getting out of the "first four" would put a huge smile on my face.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

tmoney35 wrote:and this guy has us going to the sweet 16!

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... dictions-2

Wouldn't that be something! I'd be ecstatic just to get the round a 32. Heck, even getting out of the "first four" would put a huge smile on my face.
In total honesty, I agree. We have a team, if all the eternal tumblers align correctly on a given night, can blast anyone off the court--something like I win at Stanford last season where we were an offensive machine that simply could not be stopped. But if they don't, without a more defined inside game and even better defense (which has improved from when we began the season), we're not going far, so at least winning one game would make me content--this season.

McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

The team this year is weird to me. Sort of a tale of two teams. The injuries and following ebb of any bigs stepping up after Austin went out caused angst for many of us and there are many games when you never quite know which team will show up. But the last 8-10 games or so, the team's play seems quite different to me compared to the early season team. Kaufusi has developed much more than it looked like would when Austin first went out and has been a positive asset for the team. I can't help but think WHAT IF (and I realize this is all speculation) the team that beat Gonzaga and SMC later in the season were around for those early season OT losses to SDSU and Purdue, not to mention the four point loss to Utah. Woulda have been nice to post those as Ws this year. Makes you think where it could have placed seeding.

But we are and that's what I am excited about. This team has legitimate potential to get some more Ws before the year is up.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Or, the team that shows up is the one that barely beat Santa Clara (14-18) with 2.5 seconds left on the clock just 10 days ago.

It's not just a tale of two teams that can be separated by a date on the calendar. It's the two teams where either one could realistically show up on any given night, including tomorrow, Thursday, or Saturday.

If Haws and Fischer are hitting shots and KC is doing his thing, we won't even need Kaufusi, Halford, or Winder to step up their games. But if Haws or Fischer is off, we absolutely will need Kaufusi to play some great defense and Halford or Winder to come off the bench for 15+ points.

The good news is that Ole Miss and Xavier are very beatable. The Rebels' last two games were losses to non-tourney teams South Carolina (17-16) and Vanderbilt (19-13). Xavier has losses to UTEP, Long Beach St. (who we beat), and Creighton.

However, Ole Miss also boasts solid wins over 8-seeds Oregon and Cincinnati and near losses AT #1 Kentucky (in OT) and to 5-seed Arkansas (by 1 point). In the Big East tournament, Xavier knocked off 6-seed Butler, and 4-seed Georgetown.

So, unless Ole Miss and Xavier have off nights, BYU will need to play well to win.

Which BYU team will show up on Tuesday night?

McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

Point well taken about Santa Clara game (and others).
YNot wrote: Which BYU team will show up on Tuesday night?
Hopefully, the one where KC locks in his 7th triple double, Kaufusi throws it down on multiple occasions, Bartley blocks some shots into the bleachers, Fischer hits his 3s, and so and so forth.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Fischer is due for some threes. So, we have a good chance of beating Ole Miss. If we make it to the round of 32, I will be absolutely thrilled.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Gunk wrote:Fischer is due for some threes. So, we have a good chance of beating Ole Miss. If we make it to the round of 32, I will be absolutely thrilled.

Nah at that point we would all get greedy and want more.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

Just hope Fischer doesn't pull a Maui......get all his 3's in one game again. But if he is going to pull another Chaminade/Portland it might as well be tonight vs Ole Miss

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Cougar Board individual recorded this response:

"Gotta love all of the "BYU on the Bubble" "BYU last 4 in" "BYU lucky X didn't 3 win" stories and now it is all about "BYU is underseeded" and "BYU is going to beat Ole Miss, Xavier and maybe even #3 Baylor"....

Is it just me or is BYU always in a weird place?"

This is exactly how I feel. Every time we get built up with high expectations, we seem to fall smack on our face.