Rose and the post season

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rose and the post season

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Fans like Rose better Bc he is more real with the fans and hasnt belittled them. I think Bronco has learned this the hard way several times. Yes, the stakes are higher and the money and entitlement by donors is considerably higher; and the media are more unrelenting. But that comes with the 100% higher salary and the mantle.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I think any time you lose a 17 point lead, 100% of the momentum, and use up all of your timeouts before the final few plays when you may need to set up a play for a game tying or winning shot, and also give up 6 dunks on the same baseline pass play, that's being out coached.
I'm asking you honestly here: you don't think in one of those timeouts he talked to his players about that play?
The team never adjusted to it nor changed the way they countered it, so either he didn't or he didn't do it effectively.
Because, as sno pointed out, all he needs to do is say it (dribble, make shots, do this do that) and it will happen. Right sno? ;)

NebraskaCoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by NebraskaCoug »

I don't have a dog in this Rose vs Bronco fight, so I'll just focus on my issues with coaching last night.

I knew within the first two possessions of the second half that we were in for a close fight and probable loss. The body language of players coming right out of the locker room was very different than the first half. My biggest coaching complaint is that BYU players don't have enough of a killer instinct. They didn't come out of the half looking to push the lead or warm up their shooters like they did at the start of the game. They looked from the very beginning of the half like they were trying to milk clock and preserve the lead. That mentality is almost entirely on coaching in my opinion. It has been an issue for years. BYU doesn't put teams away. For balance in the argument it doesn't happen in football either.

NebraskaCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by NebraskaCoug »

That last line means football coaches struggle with the same issue.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Haha I went to bed last night and then it look looks like the fun began! I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but here are my added thoughts. Coaches get a little too much credit and a little too much blame when their team either wins or loses a game. Last night Rose should not get too much credit that the team played lights out the first half and too much blame for how it played out the second half. We WIN that game with a healthy Anson. Can't blame Rose for that. The game was close and a few bad plays decided the game. Rose doesn't get credit for Tyler playing a really great game but he doesn't get the blame for the bad plays either, at least in my book. A coach should be judged on how the program is run, the scheme he brings, and the effort his players give. Rose rates quite well. Rose runs a top notch program. The fact is BYU is a perennial March Madness participant. He is smart enough to see that BYU's best chance with the players he has is to play up tempo. Sure we'd like some other athletes but how many think someone like Calapari would recruit that much better at BYU? And this team never packed it in. IF there is an area I think seems weak, it is in second half adjustments. I'm not smart enough to know if that is pervasive or not and how one addresses that, but that's my one beef. Cheers to all! I guess at the end of the matter for me, while the sun did come up, I'm still quite bummed, but overall quite pleased with Coach Rose and BYU BB.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Great post. So was Dave rose completely out coached in the first half? If he was out coached in the second half, which an argument could be made that he was, then was he only "completely out coached" for half the game and therefore not "completely out coached" for the whole game? And therefore not "completely outcoached" at all?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Ole Miss found our Achilles heal and exploited it. In the first half they tried to match their guards with ours. They probably thought they were superior. Didn't work out for them.

In the second half they went big and the gamble paid off. Without a viable 4 to help down low on defense we were sunk. Had I been coach, I would have stuck Andrus or Worthington in with Kaufusi for a few minutes, if anything to give Ole Miss something different to worry about.

At the very least I hope Rose and KC took notes because Ole Miss put on clinic on how to score in the paint without a dominant, back to the basket big. Screens and back door cuts down low have been something missing from BYU hoops for years and is my biggest gripe with Rose. We don't need a Shaq to score in the paint. We do need a guard that can take it off the dribble and get defenders collapsing on them - we didn't have that this season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

Hopefully Emery can provide that type of guard play next year.