Prediction Group: CougarCorner

NEXT YEAR.

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Starting line up?
KC
Fisher
Austin
Kaufusi

Who else will step up? Chapman? Emery? Calvert? Aytes? Davis? Toolson?
Where is BYU going to get 20 ppg with Haws departure?
Will this still be KCs team? Will he still run the point or fill the 3 gap and Nick runs point?
Almost seems like the 2-deep is better respectively as a 2-deep than the starting line up is as a starting lineup.

Will KCs shot finally become a force or will he not evolve beyond what he is (which is pretty good--28tb best player in the big dance)?
Will KC even be here or will he take his chances and bolt? This could be its own thread.
Will Kaufusi continue to evolve and even best Austin, such that Nate come off the bench as a five?

Maybe there are other compelling questions?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: NEXT YEAR.

Post by beauso79 »

Lots of questions........
First I'd say find a way to fix the defense. Maybe go study what Syracuse does and perfect the zone. We got torched last night by their guards because we had nobody that could stay in front of them. The number of times they were allowed to drive and dish for a dunk was pathetic. Find a coach that knows what defense is supposed to look like. It may be exciting but it gets old seeing us try to outscore everyone and lose big games because of it. Turn overs and lack of rebounding didn't help much either last night.

I don't see how KC can afford not to return. He obviously isn't 100% healthy yet and and can't hit a jumper consistently.

My starters:
1 - Emery
2 - Fischer
3 - KC
4 - Davis
5 - Kaufusi

I would have said to start Bartley over Emery but after seeing Bartley regress the last few games I think we really need Emery to step up unless a guy like Chatman, Toolson, or Seljaas can show they belong in the starting lineup. Austin could start over Kaufusi but I'd rather see a guy on the floor that actually tries on offense. No more Sharp type players please. Without a Tyler Haws next year this team will need better defense/rebounding and I think this group of starters could provide that.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I have us as

Fischer
Emery
Collinsworth
Aytes
Austin

With a lot of minutes from Davis, Toolson and Bartley

This will be a fun team to watch

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

The easiest way to fix the zone is to not play it. This year we didn't have a viable point guard that deserved big minutes, next year we will. Calvert and Emery should both get looks, if both are healthy, and either one is a MAJOR upgrade to the position this year. This year we don't have a gapingly bad defensive liability in Haws, who needs major minutes (and deserves them). For these reasons, and others, I think that the Kyle Collinsworth experiment at point guard is finally over, and BYU will be much better as a team because of it. He still should be a major focus of the offense, but - as has been shown and said by me all season - his ballhandling skills and passing skills leave one wanting for more. It just doesn't make sense to play him at point next year. I get playing him there this year, because he and Rose chased off the teams only point guard, but with very viable options... I can't believe that they wouldn't play KC in the vacant 3 spot... I just can't believe they would be that foolish.

If Calvert is healthy coming back from a mission it is between him and Emery. I would go:

Calvert
Emery
KC

At the 1,2,3 spots. It gets interesting from here. Do you play Austin at the 4 and Kaufusi at the 5? How well is Aytes going to play. It will be very interesting to see what happens. We need an inside game badly on offense, and Austin isn't going to give us that, so maybe Aytes and Austin are your starters.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

ABYUFAN wrote:I have us as

Fischer
Emery
Collinsworth
Aytes
Austin

With a lot of minutes from Davis, Toolson and Bartley

This will be a fun team to watch
Pope has said that Davis is the best post player on the team so I don't see how Aytes starts over him unless he's that good. I hope Aytes can become a Stacy Davis player a la Pepperdine. I'm ok with Austin starting if he can get and stay healthy. Neilson better hit the weight room because with Worthington and Andrus leaving as well as the uncertainty of whether Austin will be able to play next year, be it injury or the NCAA, he will be needed. Really wish we had taken a chance on USU's Collette instead of Neilson. I hope Davis is big enough to play the 5 as I don't think Shaw or Hartsock are capable.

I hope a combination of Emery, Toolson, Seljaas, and Chatman can provide some of the scoring that Haws and Halford provided this year. Chatman may be a dark horse to start and has been playing very well for the practice squad and is recovered from injury now.

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

I think Calvert is red-shirted next year due to all the guards we'll have. The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at the end of his freshman year and couldn't finish in traffic with his left.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I wasn't that impressed with Calvert. Average handles and not much of a shot. I would put Emery in front of Calvert.

KC will more than likely run point. If KC develops a jumper, I don't have as big an issue with that. Emery will probably serve as the backup.

Fischer at the 2 with Chatman likely backing him up.

The 3 is where it gets interesting. Rose has a whole bunch of options here. He could go Bartley, Toolson or even Nixon. KC would be great at the 3 but that isn't going to happen.

Between Davis, Kaufusi, Austin and Ayres, we have a solid post. Even if Austin can't get another year, we should be good at the 4/5.

The offense will look different next year. It will or should flow inside out as opposed to around the perimeter.

We should be able to play man against WCC teams. I personally like it when Rose switches the defense up between man and zone.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

I believe Nixon is headed out on a mission after this year but Seljaas could probably provide more at the 3 than Nixon could anyways

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I've heard Andrus, Nixon, and Toolson are going on missions IIRC. Has anyone heard if Worthington was going as well? I saw a thing that he had plans but just completed his Sophomore season so I'm not sure.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

You are all assuming that point guards need to shoot, and they don't. Calvert had good handles, and can shoot if needed. He can penetrate the defense and dish out. You don't get to be Arizona's best player by not being able to shoot and having average handles. I think you will all be surprised. Also, Gunk, you forgot Emery in your lineup. He will be a factor if healthy. Preferably over KC at the point guard spot who will slide over to small forward. The best players play at their most suited positions, stop messing around, Rose.

Kevin Durrant would have been great at point guard in college, 6'9 with great handles and passing ability. Texas had DJ Augustin at point, and smartly played KD at Small and went for wins instead of gimmicks.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: