NEXT YEAR.

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: NEXT YEAR.

Post by BroncoBot »

Qman wrote:In year one of Post Haws (PH), I foresee a major change in how we play. We are going to have two major post threats on the team in Davis and KC. The combo of Kaufusi and Austin will give us decent play from the center position. In short we should become a very good rebounding/power team. Shooting wise we have Fischer and....... Toolson? Emery? Calvert?

I think spacing is going to be difficult for us unless KC develops a consistent 3 pt shot.

Rotation wise I think it will work out like this:

Calvert- of course this the spot I am most uncertain about.
Fischer
KC
Davis
Austin ( I know Kaufusi is better but Rose respects his elders usually.)
This team is and always will be built for run and gun. It's worked well so far, and Dave Rose will continue to use it.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

craigoscarson wrote:starting lineup next year will be
KC
Fischer
Toolson
Davis
Kaufusi

and austin, bartley, emery and aytes will be 1st off the bench

Seljaas is straight to mission and I just about guarantee that Calvert will redshirt

Toolson will make the biggest improvement from this year to next and Kaufusi will be ripped and significantly better. And Austin will get his year back.

This is were I think BYU could end up by WCC play, I tend to think Coach Rose might start Nate over Davis at the beginning of the season (because he trust Nate/has 53 career starts for BYU @the 4). Also won't be surprised to see Zac Seljaas 6' 7" start @ #3 at some point in the season, he put up crazy numbers at Bountiful High School: 1,704 points (made 217 3's), 494 rebounds, 325 assists, 140 steals...
I've read on here a few people thinking Nick Emery will back-up at the PG, FWIW Nick is not a PG, he is a SG (just like Jackson was) look no further than his 176 career assist at Lone Peak. TJ Haws was Lone Peak's PG and even he had less career assists than Zac Seljaas (Zac's 325 vs TJ's 315).
Jordan Chatman will likely back Collinsworth at PG and Jordan is a great 3 point shooter from everything I have heard and read. But I've never found total for how many 3's he made in his High School career.
BYU will be loaded with 3 point shooters next year:
Chase Fischer made 141 3's in his Sr year alone @Ripley High School in West Virginia
Nick Emery made 269 3's at Lone Peak High School (61 3's as a Sr/86 as a Jr)
Zac Seljaas made 217 3's at Bountiful High School (82 3's as a Sr)
Jake Toolson made 189 3's at Highland High School in Gilbert, Arizona (59 3's as a Sr)
Cory Calvert made 135 3's at Chaparral High School in Parker, Colorado (56 3's as a Sr)

Here is what Nick Emery's game looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pVlWj-E5U

And even more exciting is TJ Haws' game (made 264 career 3's; 95 3's as a Sr):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDoq02yBX0

:crazy:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

E-Zone15 wrote:
KC
Fischer
Toolson
Davis
Kaufusi

Seljaas is straight to mission and I just about guarantee that Calvert will redshirt

Toolson will make the biggest improvement from this year to next and Kaufusi will be ripped and significantly better. And Austin will get his year back.

This is were I think BYU could end up by WCC play, I tend to think Coach Rose might start Nate over Davis at the beginning of the season (because he trust Nate/has 53 career starts for BYU @the 4). Also won't be surprised to see Zac Seljaas 6' 7" start @ #3 at some point in the season, he put up crazy numbers at Bountiful High School: 1,704 points (made 217 3's), 494 rebounds, 325 assists, 140 steals...
I've read on here a few people thinking Nick Emery will back-up at the PG, FWIW Nick is not a PG, he is a SG (just like Jackson was) look no further than his 176 career assist at Lone Peak. TJ Haws was Lone Peak's PG and even he had less career assists than Zac Seljaas (Zac's 325 vs TJ's 315).
Jordan Chatman will likely back Collinsworth at PG and Jordan is a great 3 point shooter from everything I have heard and read. But I've never found total for how many 3's he made in his High School career.
BYU will be loaded with 3 point shooters next year:
Chase Fischer made 141 3's in his Sr year alone @Ripley High School in West Virginia
Nick Emery made 269 3's at Lone Peak High School (61 3's as a Sr/86 as a Jr)
Zac Seljaas made 217 3's at Bountiful High School (82 3's as a Sr)
Jake Toolson made 189 3's at Highland High School in Gilbert, Arizona (59 3's as a Sr)
Cory Calvert made 135 3's at Chaparral High School in Parker, Colorado (56 3's as a Sr)

Here is what Nick Emery's game looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pVlWj-E5U

And even more exciting is TJ Haws' game (made 264 career 3's; 95 3's as a Sr):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDoq02yBX0

:crazy:
Welcome to the site, thanks for the post!

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

KC
Fischer
Toolson
Davis
Kaufusi

Does this lineup make anyone else very nervous defensively?

KC-above average
Fischer-below average
Toolson-below average
Davis-below average? or average?
Kaufusi-above average

So I guess we will be playing a lot of zone again.

Offensively I do the question who is the number one guy in crunch time? Are we posting Davis? Can KC hit a jumper in crunch time? Toolson?

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Qman wrote:
KC
Fischer
Toolson
Davis
Kaufusi

Does this lineup make anyone else very nervous defensively?

KC-above average
Fischer-below average
Toolson-below average
Davis-below average? or average?
Kaufusi-above average

So I guess we will be playing a lot of zone again.

Offensively I do the question who is the number one guy in crunch time? Are we posting Davis? Can KC hit a jumper in crunch time? Toolson?
I think you're being generous in calling Kaufusi an above average defender. While he showed moments of above average defense, I think by and far he was a below average defender.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

hawkwing wrote:
I think you're being generous in calling Kaufusi an above average defender. While he showed moments of above average defense, I think by and far he was a below average defender.
You're probably right. But a shotblocker his size playing averagely has an above average effect defensively.

It is interesting to me that Austin and Bartley, who are two of our better defenders, might be coming off the bench.

In a positive scenario for this team:

KC comes back better than ever with a good enough jumper to keep the D honest.
Fischer finds a little more consistency and stops making mental mistakes.
Davis establishes himself as a serious scoring threat in the post and as a leader on the floor.
Kaufusi comes back stronger/smarter and dominates the paint on D.

Two of guards/wings step up and earn minutes. Either Bartley, Emery, Chatman, Toolson provide something consistent and positive.

Aytes and Austin provide enough good back-up minutes.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

Qman wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
You're probably right. But a shotblocker his size playing averagely has an above average effect defensively.

It is interesting to me that Austin and Bartley, who are two of our better defenders, might be coming off the bench.

In a positive scenario for this team:

KC comes back better than ever with a good enough jumper to keep the D honest.
Fischer finds a little more consistency and stops making mental mistakes.
Davis establishes himself as a serious scoring threat in the post and as a leader on the floor.
Kaufusi comes back stronger/smarter and dominates the paint on D.

Two of guards/wings step up and earn minutes. Either Bartley, Emery, Chatman, Toolson provide something consistent and positive.

Aytes and Austin provide enough good back-up minutes.

Each to there own, I like Toolson's D in the limited minutes I saw of him and you do know that KC finished #1 in the WCC with 59 steals (Chris Anderson had 58), he now has 155 career steals at BYU (FWIW, Jackson Emery had 148 at the end of his Jr season). Anson finished his career at BYU with 107 steals and he has been one of BYU's better defenders the last couple years. Steals don't determine if you are a good defender or not, Jimmer and Carlino both had a lot of steals at BYU, but those came from playing the passing lanes. Kyle can actually steal the ball away from the player he is defending. I agree and like Bartley's D, but I'm not sure I would say he is any better than Kyle as a defender. But Nate, I've always felt his D was lacking, he gets bullied in the post a lot. Nate is a hard worker, but that does not equal a good defender. In the 2013-14 season Kyle Davis owned Nate Austin in the Utah St game. They went head to head as #4's, here are the stats from that game:
Nate Austin 6' 11" 230: 25 minutes, 2 points (FG 1-2 50.0%), 3 rebounds (2-O, 1-D), 1 assist, 0 blocks, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 0 fouls
vs
Kyle Davis 6' 8" 220: 29 minutes, 16 points (FG 7-11 63.6%, FT 2-2 100%), 9 rebounds (4-O, 5-D), 3 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls

Compare 2013-14 season stats, Austin played in the WCC and Davis played in the MWC (which was a stronger conference).
Nate Austin: 35-35 games, 934 minutes (26.7), 132 points (3.8 ), 278 rebounds (7.9; 90-O, 188-D), 32 assists, 31 blocks, 26 steals, 38 turnovers, 119 fouls
vs
Kyle Davis: 29-27 games, 725 minutes (25.0), 263 points (9.1), 221 rebounds (7.6; 89-O, 132-D), 37 assists, 39 blocks, 12 steals, 45 turnovers, 62 fouls

8)

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Good stuff e-zone. Thanks.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Each to there own, I like Toolson's D in the limited minutes I saw of him and you do know that KC finished #1 in the WCC with 59 steals (Chris Anderson had 58), he now has 155 career steals at BYU (FWIW, Jackson Emery had 148 at the end of his Jr season). Anson finished his career at BYU with 107 steals and he has been one of BYU's better defenders the last couple years. Steals don't determine if you are a good defender or not, Jimmer and Carlino both had a lot of steals at BYU, but those came from playing the passing lanes. Kyle can actually steal the ball away from the player he is defending. I agree and like Bartley's D, but I'm not sure I would say he is any better than Kyle as a defender. But Nate, I've always felt his D was lacking, he gets bullied in the post a lot. Nate is a hard worker, but that does not equal a good defender. In the 2013-14 season Kyle Davis owned Nate Austin in the Utah St game. They went head to head as #4's, here are the stats from that game:
Nate Austin 6' 11" 230: 25 minutes, 2 points (FG 1-2 50.0%), 3 rebounds (2-O, 1-D), 1 assist, 0 blocks, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 0 fouls
vs
Kyle Davis 6' 8" 220: 29 minutes, 16 points (FG 7-11 63.6%, FT 2-2 100%), 9 rebounds (4-O, 5-D), 3 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls

Compare 2013-14 season stats, Austin played in the WCC and Davis played in the MWC (which was a stronger conference).
Nate Austin: 35-35 games, 934 minutes (26.7), 132 points (3.8 ), 278 rebounds (7.9; 90-O, 188-D), 32 assists, 31 blocks, 26 steals, 38 turnovers, 119 fouls
vs
Kyle Davis: 29-27 games, 725 minutes (25.0), 263 points (9.1), 221 rebounds (7.6; 89-O, 132-D), 37 assists, 39 blocks, 12 steals, 45 turnovers, 62 fouls

8)
To be clear I think Davis is a better player than Austin and he should start but....what I recall Davis was a good team defender in a established excellent defensive system. Doesn't provide blocks or steals. His value is on the other end of the court.

The things Austin does well on D are help defense, rebounding and playing pick and roll in a man to man defense. He isn't strong enough to be a very good post defender.

Either player would have been a difference maker in our loss to Ole Miss.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

Qman wrote:
vs

vs

8)
To be clear I think Davis is a better player than Austin and he should start but....what I recall Davis was a good team defender in a established excellent defensive system. Doesn't provide blocks or steals. His value is on the other end of the court.

The things Austin does well on D are help defense, rebounding and playing pick and roll in a man to man defense. He isn't strong enough to be a very good post defender.

Either player would have been a difference maker in our loss to Ole Miss.
Nate Austin 6' 11" 230: 35 games, 934 minutes, 31 blocks
Kyle Davis 6' 8" 220: 29 games, 725 minutes, 39 blocks (he had 31 blocks at Southern Utah)
Remember Kyle Davis played almost the whole season at Utah St with a knee injury, he missed the Pacific game on 12/7/13. The rumor is he (Kyle) thought they (Utah St coaching staff) rushed him back to early and pressured him in playing some games he didn't think he should have played in because of the injury and that's one the main reasons he transferred from Utah St.

I do agree that Nate would have made a difference in the Ole Miss game and still wonder why Isaac didn't play in the game at the 4 just to add some more size in the post.

8)