Someone needs to talk me off the ledge

BYU Cougars on the court.
Matty-B
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Someone needs to talk me off the ledge

Post by Matty-B »

Why does BYU keep playing games with me and my emotions? Whether it be football or basketball, they always seem to be just good enough to give me hope and keep my cabinets stocked with the blue Kool aid.
I can't stand it. No matter the situation they always find a way to let me down. It always seems to be a lack of killer instinct. The drive to keep the pedal to the floor and never let up. Where is that??
I'm sitting here and watching utah go down by more than 10 and instead of laying down they somehow man up and make a run and lead the game... Such a thing seems so alien to me. Why?!?!
Byu either dominates from start to finish or else the game is up in the air. There are comebacks but, only against teams we never should never have been losing to in the first place.
the only explanation I can think of is coaching... We get talent, not as much as the other guys, but enough where our so called advantage of maturity and disciple should kick in. They just don't....
I would now like to see new head coaches in both basketball and football and I don't care if they are Mormon or not. They can still enforce the honor code without being members of the church.
This is my rant as I sit here on my couch. Sorry for all spelling errors I don't care to proof read.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I haven't been as pleased with byu sports since Oklahoma. The win over Texas was equally as pleasing until they turned out to be garbage.
Somehow, as much as Id like to jump ship and claim some other team, I'll never be able to. BYU (especially football) is somehow engrained in me. I do love the future schedules and hope line hell we can win some of those key games

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Someone needs to talk me off the ledge

Post by Wolverine »

Meh...such is the life of any fanbase when their team suffers a disappointing loss. If you don't care for Coach Rose and Coach Mendenhall then you will probably need to find another team to agonize over as they will both be leaving on their own terms. Go pick up a PAC-12 bumper sticker and don't look back if it will make you feel better.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I don't know how many fanbases are out there that when their team goes up 17 points at halftime, a bunch of their fans are thinking "If anyone could lose this lead, we could". BYU just can't make things easy. It's similar when BYU is down huge at halftime. You're thinking, yeah, BYU is going to come back and tie the game, and then lose anyway. They do just enough so that you don't turn the game off, and that makes the loss hurt even more.

It's gotta happen to all fanbases, but that's where BYU is right now for me. Football had the win at Texas, and basketball had the win at Gonzaga, but there were simply too many close/overtime losses that hurt, or losses to underdogs like Nevada and Pepperdine.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The problem is, you gotta stop letting the hype talk you onto the ledge in the first place.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

Mars wrote:
I don't know how many fanbases are out there that when their team goes up 17 points at halftime, a bunch of their fans are thinking "If anyone could lose this lead, we could". BYU just can't make things easy. It's similar when BYU is down huge at halftime. You're thinking, yeah, BYU is going to come back and tie the game, and then lose anyway. They do just enough so that you don't turn the game off, and that makes the loss hurt even more.

It's gotta happen to all fanbases, but that's where BYU is right now for me. Football had the win at Texas, and basketball had the win at Gonzaga, but there were simply too many close/overtime losses that hurt, or losses to underdogs like Nevada and Pepperdine.
Meh....the nature of most fans and fanbases is to be fickle, pessimistic, and negative. If that wasn't the case, places like CC and fan sports forums in general would cease to exist ;)

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

It may sound a bit Sacrilegious but you might broaden your horizons. I'm first and foremost a Cougar fan win or loose, but after years of frustrations and this years "one-half and done" is a perfect example I have another team I also root for. In my case It's UK. Lots of similarities, Blue and white, Wildcat vs Cougar, have a fierce rivalry with a nearby team that wears red (UL). I don't follow their football so much as basketball.

Anyway that's my advise.

Go Cougars

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Lower your expectations.

BYU is an above average team. The problem is too many fans convince themselves or believe that BYU is/should be an elite program. And, then take personal offense when the team fails to perform at an elite level.

In basketball, we have only made it as far as the Elite 8 and we have only made the Sweet 16 seven times. For a 100+ year program that isn't very many times.

Can the team improve, sure. But past precedent says it really won't. So, why convince yourself BYU is something that it isn't?

It's okay that BYU isn't elite. I don't know if it's a Mormon thing or not, but for some reason unless BYU is the best team around fans are discontent, angry even. Anger comes from personal offense, which comes from expectations not being met. The expectations on BYU are too high. It's why one fan can enjoy a season and another not. The results of the season aren't any different. One fan is deluded with visions of grandeur the other isn't.

It's okay that BYU isn't elite. They don't have to be to enjoy the teams. Once you realize this, the seasons actually become much more enjoyable, you are to sit back and enjoy games without the disappointment brought on by unrealistic expectations.

BYU football will go no-name bowl next year and basketball will be a bubble team.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel