April 1: Quincy replaces Pope & becomes the next in line...

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

April 1: Quincy replaces Pope & becomes the next in line...

Post by Cougs_Rule »

...And brings Frank Jackson with him.

****Not my idea. http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/byusports/2 ... rth-are-ap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Re: April 1: Quincy replaces Pope & becomes the next in line

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yep

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

I wish they would have added Peery as well

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Honest concern.

So now we have no one on the BYU coaching staff that has any NBA experience? That doesn't strike anyone as odd and something that would be useful?

I don't think it makes or breaks us as a team, but I'm guessing that there are few major programs with similar staffs with no one who has been exposed to the NBA level of play.

UVU will now have at least two former players as coaches from both major programs and who know somewhat of what life is like in the NBA.

I'm trusting enough in Rose that this was a good move, but I'm holding out for some proof in the pudding.

:skeptic:

HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by HoosierCougar »

Prior to Pope, who was the last staff member with NBA experience? I don't think Rice played or coached in the NBA... am I wrong?

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

At least Quincy has coached outside of the state of Utah at some point in his career. Granted, it was 2 years at BYU-H, but that's 2 years more than the rest of the coaching staff combined.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:At least Quincy has coached outside of the state of Utah at some point in his career. Granted, it was 2 years at BYU-H, but that's 2 years more than the rest of the coaching staff combined.
Who needs coaches with out of state experience when the entire team has never lived outside of Utah County.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

HoosierCougar wrote:Prior to Pope, who was the last staff member with NBA experience? I don't think Rice played or coached in the NBA... am I wrong?
Agree, but I thought he recognized such experience was beneficial and now we take a step back. If you are a top tier recruit--a teenage one to boot--doesn't it seem important to include such experience on your staff? Having the experience doesn't necessarily make you a better coach, but with Pope you had someone who has years of basketball taken to another level above college.

I went and looked at the staffs of the 2015 Final Four (Duke, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Michigan State). Wisconsin has no one on their immediate coaching staff with any NBA experience and the other three have coaches with "professional" experience, but actual NBA experience is not requisite.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

The premier program in BYU's conference doesn't have anyone on their staff with NBA experience. http://www.gozags.com/SportSelect.dbml? ... SID=627530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It doesn't seem to hurt them any in the caliber of recruit they are getting nor their success on a national level.