New Assistant Coach is . . . . . .

BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

New Assistant Coach is . . . . . .

Post by scott715 »

Quincy Lewis. It is not official yet but close.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: New Assistant Coach is . . . . . .

Post by scott715 »

Well that was according to my friend who is not a BYU fan but connected to a WCC team. In looking into it, the rumor is just that he is the front runner. We shall see. Fingers are crossed.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Not sure this move would be good for BYU. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I don't like it.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:Not sure this move would be good for BYU. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I don't like it.
Don't know enough about Quincy Lewis to form an opinion one way or another. Hawk, I would however be curious to hear your reasons for not liking this move.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Wolverine wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Not sure this move would be good for BYU. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I don't like it.
Don't know enough about Quincy Lewis to form an opinion one way or another. Hawk, I would however be curious to hear your reasons for not liking this move.
I am by no means an expert on Quincy Lewis, so take this with a grain of salt.

Quincy Lewis is an amazing coach, and will be an incredible college basketball coach, but I don't like it for BYU right now because he is the former head coach of essentially most of the starters for the next several years, that's going to put a bit of a divide between Rose and the players.

More importantly, Lewis is known as an offensive basketball mind, focusing in fast paced run and gun play. Which is great. But BYU lost their Bigs and Defensive coach from a team that has had very poor bigs play and defense. Adding in another coach who isn't focused on defense or big development doesn't help this team.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

Quincy Lewis is an amazing coach, and will be an incredible college basketball coach, but I don't like it for BYU right now because he is the former head coach of essentially most of the starters for the next several years, that's going to put a bit of a divide between Rose and the players.

More importantly, Lewis is known as an offensive basketball mind, focusing in fast paced run and gun play. Which is great. But BYU lost their Bigs and Defensive coach from a team that has had very poor bigs play and defense. Adding in another coach who isn't focused on defense or big development doesn't help this team.
Yeah, that makes sense to me as well. I would like to see more emphasis on defense, yet at the same time, everyone is clamoring that college basketball is terrible and that it needs to be tweaked in favor of more offense and freedom of movement. So who knows, maybe in a year or two BYU basketball will be way ahead of the curve when and if changes are made to the game such as a 30 second shot clock. extending the 3 point line, widening the lane, etc. I don't think there will be much of an issue or conflict in the relationship department if Lewis were to become an assistant coach. Most of the Lone Peak guys will have served missions (maturity factor), and have been around Coach Rose and the program either as younger siblings of former players, or as in Mika's case, having a year in the program. I think they are probably as comfortable around the BYU program as they were at Lone Peak. Time will tell, but I think the basketball program trends upward from this point on.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Wolverine wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense to me as well. I would like to see more emphasis on defense, yet at the same time, everyone is clamoring that college basketball is terrible and that it needs to be tweaked in favor of more offense and freedom of movement. So who knows, maybe in a year or two BYU basketball will be way ahead of the curve when and if changes are made to the game such as a 30 second shot clock. extending the 3 point line, widening the lane, etc. I don't think there will be much of an issue or conflict in the relationship department if Lewis were to become an assistant coach. Most of the Lone Peak guys will have served missions (maturity factor), and have been around Coach Rose and the program either as younger siblings of former players, or as in Mika's case, having a year in the program. I think they are probably as comfortable around the BYU program as they were at Lone Peak. Time will tell, but I think the basketball program trends upward from this point on.
I hope you're right!

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Lewis would be a no-brainer as a replacement for Terry Nashif, but I'm not so sure he fills the gaps left by Pope's departure.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

If he actually is the front runner and gets the job, I like it. He is a very good basketball coach. Coach Rose is established in his position well enough that I don't foresee any conflicts between the players, him and Lewis. That Lone Peak team that won the NC played some pretty good defense so I think the questions about his defensive coaching ability are probably premature.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Just because he is known for his offense does not mean he's good at defense too. He has coached at a few colleges so he is experienced.