craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: New Assistant Coach is . . . . . .

Post by craigoscarson »

hawkwing wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Not sure this move would be good for BYU. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I don't like it.
Don't know enough about Quincy Lewis to form an opinion one way or another. Hawk, I would however be curious to hear your reasons for not liking this move.
I am by no means an expert on Quincy Lewis, so take this with a grain of salt.

Quincy Lewis is an amazing coach, and will be an incredible college basketball coach, but I don't like it for BYU right now because he is the former head coach of essentially most of the starters for the next several years, that's going to put a bit of a divide between Rose and the players.

More importantly, Lewis is known as an offensive basketball mind, focusing in fast paced run and gun play. Which is great. But BYU lost their Bigs and Defensive coach from a team that has had very poor bigs play and defense. Adding in another coach who isn't focused on defense or big development doesn't help this team.
No divide at all... This happens all the time in college hoops. AAU coaches have gotten asst coaching jobs just to get their recruits and once those coaches get to campus, they're expected to act as an asst coach or hit the road. There is no chance that Quincy doesn't know how to defer to Dave Rose.

The other thing is the idea that he doesn't know how to coach defense... he knows how to coach winning. Lone Peak didn't just outscore people, they had to figure out how to defend high school all americans with a 6'4" center before Mika was eligible.

I don't know about personality or fit... but the last thing Dave Rose is worried about is that there will be a divide or that Quincy can't coach defense. Those concerns are frankly ludicrous. There are other reasons to consider, but those 2 are not the reason he would or wouldn't get the job.

If bringing Quincy Lewis in gives us Frank Jackson, that single transaction is more than Mark Pope brought to BYU in his entire tenure at the Y. But I believe Lewis brings a ton more than that. I also believe there's not a future BYU head coach on the bench as we speak. I would be stoked if Lewis was added to the BYU bench. I hope BYU is willing to do something to get off the fence and be great.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If Quincy wants to coach at BYU, I say take him. He clearly knows how to get the most out of the type of players BYU recruits.

Regarding the loss of a defense expert, have you seen BYU's defense in the last few years? If Pope was the team's defensive genius than I'd say some new blood is needed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:If Quincy wants to coach at BYU, I say take him. He clearly knows how to get the most out of the type of players BYU recruits.

Regarding the loss of a defense expert, have you seen BYU's defense in the last few years? If Pope was the team's defensive genius than I'd say some new blood is needed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
There's no doubt that BYU has not been good at defense which is exactly why fans were hoping that the new hire would actually be a defensive mastermind. Or at least a guy who emphasises defense first.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

craigoscarson wrote:I also believe there's not a future BYU head coach on the bench as we speak. I would be stoked if Lewis was added to the BYU bench. I hope BYU is willing to do something to get off the fence and be great.
I'm willing to give Noah Hartsock time to develop as a coach. He has the look of coach to me. But like most coaches, I don't want mine to only have experience in one program.

Noah should he want to be a head coach would do well to leave BYU in the next year or two and get some exposure at other programs, in other leagues. Get hired at SUU or Northern Arizona or elsewhere.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at candidates.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

scott715 wrote:http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

Looking at candidates.
I would love for Coach Rose to be able to hire Mark "Mad Dog" Madsen, he has the same type background as Coach Pope did:
Both LDS: Check, I don't think Pope served a mission though... Madsen did in Málaga, Spain
BYU recruited both and both went to better programs where they had nice NCAA runs: Pope--> Kentucky (National Championship)... Madsen--> Stanford (Final 4)
About the same age: Pope 42... Madsen 39
NBA Drafted: Pope 2nd round, 52nd pick... Madsen 1st round 29th pick
Played in the NBA: Pope (Indiana Pacers/Milwaukee Bucks/Denver Nuggets) 153 games/ 57 starts... Madsen (Los Angeles Lakers/Minnesota Timberwolves) 453 games/ 70 starts
Coaching Experience: Pope 2009–10 Georgia (assistant)/2010–11 Wake Forest (assistant)... Madsen 2009–10 Utah Flash (assistant)/2012–13 Stanford (assistant)/2013 Los Angeles D-Fenders/2013–present Los Angeles Lakers (assistant/Player Development)
Both Post Player: Pope 6' 10" 235... Madsen 6' 9" 245

The "Mad Dog" was know working hard on both ends of the court, he left Stanford in their all time top 10 in both rebounds and blocked shots. Now I don't know if BYU could steal him away from the Lakers but IMHO it would be worth a try. Coaching in the NBA takes away a lot of family time with 82 game (41 of them away games) regular season schedule, pre-season games, and playoff. Also many, many Sunday games and practices if not playing, and Sunday travel. At BYU I think he would have much more time to spend with his family and BYU is like the only college that does not play or practice on Sundays. I would think those might be very compelling factors for Madsen. Plus it does not hurt that when Mark was 14 years old, he wrote down a goal of wanting to get a scholarship from BYU (#8);
http://markmadsen.com/10-tips-for-colle ... t-process/

Maybe BYU can sign him to a coaching contract just like they did with Coach Pope the second time around...

:crazy:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Rose's comments the last couple have days seem to indicate that Quincey Lewis is not really being considered. Rose said the primary thing he is looking for is collegiate coaching experiences--lots of exposure to lots of programs.

Lewis's resume of BYU-H, UVSC, SUU, and Lone Peak don't really seem to fit that bill in my mind.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Smokescreen.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... t-BYU.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes good arguments for Lewis.