Nate Austin and Medical Redshirt

BYU Cougars on the court.
beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Nate Austin and Medical Redshirt

Post by beauso79 »

Lets play the hypothetical card and say that neither Austin nor Aytes are able to play next year. It would be nice to know who the possible 5th year senior is they could be pursuing. Also, how bad does our post depth take a hit next year? With only Kaufusi, Neilson, Hartsock, Shaw, and Kyle Davis we might be in trouble. Neilson better start packing on the pounds. We might have to use KC more at the 4 again. Worthington may have to postpone his mission for a year...... ;)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

beauso79 wrote:Lets play the hypothetical card and say that neither Austin nor Aytes are able to play next year. It would be nice to know who the possible 5th year senior is they could be pursuing. Also, how bad does our post depth take a hit next year? With only Kaufusi, Neilson, Hartsock, Shaw, and Kyle Davis we might be in trouble. Neilson better start packing on the pounds. We might have to use KC more at the 4 again. Worthington may have to postpone his mission for a year...... ;)

Even if neither Austin or Aytes are able to play next year, I don't think our post depth does anything but improve.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

beauso79 wrote:Lets play the hypothetical card and say that neither Austin nor Aytes are able to play next year. It would be nice to know who the possible 5th year senior is they could be pursuing. Also, how bad does our post depth take a hit next year? With only Kaufusi, Neilson, Hartsock, Shaw, and Kyle Davis we might be in trouble. Neilson better start packing on the pounds. We might have to use KC more at the 4 again. Worthington may have to postpone his mission for a year...... ;)

Pretty sure BYU will be just fine in the post positions even if Austin and Aytes can't go. Kyle Davis showed at Utah St averaging a foul every 11.7 minutes. Having an extra year of experience Kaufusi and Neilson have gained will be a plus. Hartsock and Shaw I was saying I would red-shirt, but if BYU didn't have both Austin and Aytes one would likely be asked to play or maybe both. But BYU will also have Zac Seljaas 6'7" who Scout.com rates 4 stars and the #19 PF in the Nation. IMO he is a will likely play mainly a the #3 for BYU, made 217 3's and had 325 assists @Bountiful High School (FWIW, Nick Emery had 269 3's & 176 assists and TJ Haws had 362 3's and 315 assists at Lone Peak). There has also been rumors the 7'4" Alan Hamson might walk-on at BYU this Fall.

8)

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Great to see so much optimism about our post play when we haven't had good post play in years and have nothing but "potential" for the future.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

hawkwing wrote:Great to see so much optimism about our post play when we haven't had good post play in years and have nothing but "potential" for the future.

The post will play their rolls of what has been given them. It not like BYU didn't have a post player that could score, it's more they had better options (Haws, Collinsworth, Fischer, Winder, and Halford) who were all upper class-men.
Tyler Haws- BYU's All-Time leading scorer
Kyle Collinsworth- BYU's second leading scorer the last 2 years in a row
Chase Fischer- Made 103 3's this past season shooting 41.5% from the 3 point line
Anson Winder- Shoots well from 3, can take it to the hole, and can hit his free throws
Skyler Halford- 48.1% from 3 is all that needs to be said.

So it's not like a lot was being asked from BYU's big men in scoring. They were asked to rebound and play inside D (and often were the lone post player on the court). It's not like they couldn't score. Isaac Neilson actually was very good at scoring when given the chance to do so.
BYU's first 6 games-
Isaac's stats were: 83 minutes (13.8 ), 48 points (8.0), 22 rebounds (3.7)
BYU's first 13 games (OOC)-
Isaac's stats were: 166 minutes (12.8 ), 73 points (5.6), 44 rebounds (3.4)
Take into account, Isaac injured his hand (broke it) in the Eastern Kentucky and so he only played 1 minute against Utah St and Hawaii each in the next 2 games. And played quite a few games with a soft cast on his hand.
Isaac played a total of 7 games were he played 15 minutes or more the game and are the numbers for those 7 games: 139 minutes (19.9), 59 points (8.4), 34 rebounds (4.9)

But I'm most excited about Corbin Kaufusi, I believe he started BYU's last 13 games-
Corbin's last 13 games- 271 minutes (20.8 ), 50 points (3.8 ), 65 rebounds (5.0)
But it really seemed like it started clicking for him in the St Marys game, he didn't score (didn't take a shot) but had 4 blocks, 5 rebounds, and only 2 fouls in 19 minutes of play. He help BYU jump out to the 12 point half time lead and so he didn't have play much with BYU winning the game by 22 points.
St Marys game on: 9 games, 195 minutes (21.7), 43 points (4.8 ), 50 rebounds (5.6)
@Portland he really started rolling at the very end of the season-
6 games, 143 minutes (23.8 ), 35 points (5.8 ), 39 rebounds (6.5)

So both freshmen big men for BYU seem to have the ability to score... Isaac broke his hand so BYU started playing the small line up, His minutes were reduced the rest of the because the 4 guard line worked pretty good and took a while to recover from the broken hand. With Corbin it seemed to be all about experience and learning the system better. Corbin also had mission legs for no better way to explain it and battle injuries keeping him out of practices before the season started. The injury was aggravated during the Purdue game which kept him out of the Eastern Kentucky game and limited him to only 1 minute of playing time in the @Utah St game.

So yes I have much optimism, when you add in Kyle Davis and all of BYU's current big men having year under there belt with off season to develop even more. This year they also get to play some game in Spain I think to further develop.

I also feel this year they will be asked to score a little more, but make no mistake Kyle and Chase will be the first options. But I see much more balance in the scoring this year.

;)

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I agree that BYU's big's were not asked to score. But I disagree with the assessment that they could have if they'd been asked to. I don't think our bigs could have averaged over 10 a game if our hopes had depended on it. They are frankly not good enough.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I am confident that Neilson and Kaufusi will show us more nest season if Rose will work them. The potential is there to have a better year than last season.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I like the logic of "BYU's big guys didn't score much, therefore we didn't need them to score much."

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

hawkwing wrote:I agree that BYU's big's were not asked to score. But I disagree with the assessment that they could have if they'd been asked to. I don't think our bigs could have averaged over 10 a game if our hopes had depended on it. They are frankly not good enough.

It's not all about what their roll on the team was, there are other factors to like playing time, shooting range, confidence, and ect...

Look at playing time:
Tyler Haws: 32.1 minutes--> 22.2 PPG
Kyle Collinsworth: 30.9 minutes--> 13.8 PPG
Chase Fischer: 26.9 minutes--> 13.2 PPG
Anson Winder: 25.5 minutes--> 12.7 PPG
Skyler Halford: 18.4 minutes--> 8.8 PPG
Corbin Kaufusi: 16.5 minutes--> 3.4 PPG

Luke Worthington: 12.3--> 1.8 PPG
Josh Sharp: 10.3 minutes--> 1.4 PPG
Dalton Nixon: 9.7 minutes--> 2.1 PPG
Frank Bartley IV: 9.3 minutes--> 2.5 PPG
Isaac Neilson: 9.1 minutes--> 3.1 PPG
Jake Toolson: 7.8 minutes--> 2.3 PPG
Ryan Andrus: 7.5 minutes--> 1.9 PPG
Jordan Ellis: 2.6 minutes--> 0.1 PPG

Left Nate Austin off the list because of the injury... Notice how the first 6 went in direct correlation of minutes play and scoring. Then it goes to Luke and Josh, neither one are scorers (Just like Nate Austin also). After those 2 it's follows pretty close, except for Isaac Neilson who seems to be a pretty good scorer.

;)

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

nuk13 wrote:I am confident that Neilson and Kaufusi will show us more nest season if Rose will work them. The potential is there to have a better year than last season.
Neilson is gone, he's transferring.