BYU Ball Players Transfering

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Ball Players Transfering

Post by SpiffCoug »

For the record, I had no problem w/ Nielsen wanting to be a "stretch" player. There is a role for that on many teams. His problems were he wasn't a solid rebounder or low-post defender.

Was it too early to pull the plug? Maybe. He had been in the program for two seasons, but I think he only had one off-season. So he probably did get the short end of the stick.

Rose has shown he and his staff can develop players as the years go by. Whether you're a low-post or perimeter player, Rose and Co. can make you a better player.

It's too bad Neilsen isn't going to get that chance.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yes. Apparently Nielson wanted to be a stretch 4 defender as well.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

BYULV wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I reject the notion that any player wasn't told what was expected of them. A 6'11'' player shouldn't have to be told that they need to be a strong rebounder and solid post defender. That's where Nielson wasn't making the grade.

You can keep the stretch portion of your game if you are willing to play solid post defense and rebound.
Agreed. There is no way he wasn't told time and time again what was expected of him. He should have known on his own that he would be a better stretch 4 if he had low post abilities It doesn't need to be said, it's blatantly obvious.
I have to believe he knew what was expected. I don't think you win many games if your players don't know their rolls. As for shooting, I am also sure Rose is okay with midrange shots from bigs. He is probably not to thrilled with bombs unless you can make over 40%. hartsock made most of his points from midrange but played very good defense and rebounded well.

My thought on worthinton is that we may have seen his last minutes on the court in a cougar jersey. If he doesn't transfer I think his next jersey is something like "Son's of Helaman" (intramurals for those from Rio Linda).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image