Program hit its ceiling?

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Program hit its ceiling?

Post by EM_Puma »

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2421853-15 ... rogram-hit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see a lot of negativness in many pieces by Jay Drew from the SLTrib, but I'd have to admit that once in awhile I like his angle. For sure not sugar-coated.

My first perception of this article was that yes, he's pointing out that, "For the fifth time in eight appearances in the Big Dance under 10-year coach Dave Rose, the Cougars bowed out in the first round. Rose's record in March Madness fell to 7-10. He is 4-8 in the NCAAs and 3-2 in the NIT."

Not a very glorious track record, but Jay kind of missed the fact that going to the "Big Dance" eight times in ten years is quite the accomplishment. Over a couple of hundred coaches at division 1 college ball would die to have been the the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 10 years. They can't be discussed in such light because they haven't been near that good. It didn't come because BYU bought a ticket to attend, but it is born out of their success. Yes, if you want to argue "ceiling" then let's discuss the ceiling of progressing in the tournament and not the hard fact that his teams have accomplished something few others have.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Program hit its ceiling?

Post by snoscythe »

The question is, has he plateau'd. and if so are you satisfied with the plateau and stick with him, or do you make a move to progress to the next level knowing that the move may backfire and lead to a regression.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I suspect with an assistant like Quincy Lewis (who would boost recruiting) we could make another step forward. The quotes from the former players in the article show that they feel the coaching staff isn't teaching defensive focus well enough to win on the big stages. Now I think Rose is feeling a little vulnerable and is wary of bringing in a talented assistant with HC experience. But that is the next right step.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Rose can only squeeze so much out 6'6" guards. The recruiting pool is what it is. And, I don't see another coach being able to come in and get more out of our 6'6" guards.

Success in the tourney is proportional to seeding. Seeding is based off success. With hardly an ounce of post production the last few years we got chewed up a bit. Defense has been atrocious.

The only area I can see Rose making an immediate improvement in is in defense. We should aim for the best perimeter defense in D1 hoops. Completely take out teams' perimeter game.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

If you like Drew's article, then you also should consider some facts that he managed to gloss over. Davie's HC violation and not being able to play was huge and definitely prevented them from advancing. They lost their inside-outside game.

Kyle's torn ACL left BYU missing a vital cog last year and this year, in the MS game, he was not 100% in the second half. He indicated that he tweaked his knee and wasn't comfortable putting pressure on it. If he is 100% we likely beat MS.

As far as a plateau, I don't agree. Look at the recruits coming in to BYU now and in the future. Much better players. The recent transfers (Bartley and Nielson) point to some serious competition and diminishing minutes for players who have reached their ceiling.

Drew is a pot-stirrer and has trouble keeping an objective, unbiased perspective...better suited for MSNBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, etc.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

or SLTribune. Oh wait, he works there. Never mind.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Of the six former BYU players contacted for this article, none said the Cougars have reached their limits as a program. But several acknowledged that a combination of the honor code, heightened admissions and academic standards and the move four years ago to the lesser-respected West Coast Conference has made it more difficult than ever before for Rose to attract types of players who can keep the Cougars in the top 25 and make it to the Sweet 16 or beyond every three or four years.
I would like to know which six former players he contacted. But it is telling that from a PLAYER's perspective, the WCC is inferior to the MWC in basketball. No doubt Rose has a tough recruiting (and coaching) job. I am not ungrateful for what he has done. But I do wonder if BYU could do better. Rose is good, but not great. Good gets you not fired. Great gets you post season wins.

Also, why is the goal just to make the NCAA tournament? How can we expect to progress beyond the first round when our goal is only to make the tournament?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

byufan4ever wrote:Also, why is the goal just to make the NCAA tournament? How can we expect to progress beyond the first round when our goal is only to make the tournament?
Who said the goal was to "only" make the tournament? That's laughable that anyone would state specifically that they wanted only to make it to the tournament. I think everyone who is invited believes in the possibility of winning a game or two once you are awarded the opportunity.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Our ceiling will be determined by the ability of the assistant coaches. The Head Coach does not do it all.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

EM_Puma wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:Also, why is the goal just to make the NCAA tournament? How can we expect to progress beyond the first round when our goal is only to make the tournament?
Who said the goal was to "only" make the tournament? That's laughable that anyone would state specifically that they wanted only to make it to the tournament. I think everyone who is invited believes in the possibility of winning a game or two once you are awarded the opportunity.
Agreed. But it is a minimum threshold that allows Rose to enjoy some success in the fans eyes. But yes, should be and is higher, I'm sure.

But this article is just more crap from a Ute placator. The Trib has to find subscribers and readers and there's only one thing that fires up Ute fans more than even winning, it's trashing BYU. It's just punk, pitches in the dirt. That's about all he has. Big wup.
Has Rose plateaued? I think if he can fire up the D all season like he did in the second half of the season, the D is at least solid. I doubt it will ever be spectacular. But it does have to be solid at a minimum. Second half of MS is inexcusable. First half season D cost several games it shouldn't have. But until Kaufusi developed a little but, there was no interior D and poor perimeter D. Not good. But all the talent, and talent coming in, should combine for at least continued success and not a drop off.