Frank Jackson no longer committed to BYU? Duke in play

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Frank Jackson no longer committed to BYU? Duke in play

Post by Gunk »

I think he got misquoted. Probably said something along the lines of being able to go on a mission and still come back and play. Not that he was going to hone his game while as a missionary.

He'll be able wake up early and work on his handles without having to convince his companion. I believe Matt Montague said he would dribble for an hour so every day while on his mission and actually came back a better ball handler because that was basically all he could focus on basketball wise.

Most chapels in my mission didn't have courts and if they did they were outside. We were not allowed to play more than 3x3 and were only allowed to play on P-day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

The kid is getting a lot of attention. Here is a viewpoint from someone who knows the family.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14265955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know Frank and family but this is my speculation which makes sense to me. I think he goes to Duke for a year. After a year at Duke playing in the ACC he will know if he is NBA material. If he is then he goes into the draft the next year. If he does not excel as a freshman then a mission makes more sense and he can have a great college career after that and then maybe the NBA. If he goes right away on a mission then making the NBA is unlikely. Just too hard to recover the skill set at an NBA level after 2 years. I heard a conversation that there has never been a guard out of Utah play in the NBA.

The Jacksons are great people and very committed. It has been proven you can go on a mission and have a great college career. It has not been proven you can do it in the NBA as a guard. You also lose 2 years of income for a career that may only last 2 - 10 years.

I think Duke or similar school makes more sense for Frank than it did Jabari. Jabari was going to the NBA after one year as a top 5 pick no matter what. He could have gone to BYU and still got drafted in the same spot. Frank still needs to prove himself at an elite level to be worthy of a top NBA draft pick. Right now he is borderline. Dominating the WCC will not do that for Frank. I love BYU and wish he would come but can understand the reasons for going somewhere else. The part that is not speculation is I have heard if BYU were in a major conference he would be coming. In this case the WCC definitely hurts recruiting.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

scott715 wrote:The kid is getting a lot of attention. Here is a viewpoint from someone who knows the family.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=14265955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know Frank and family but this is my speculation which makes sense to me. I think he goes to Duke for a year. After a year at Duke playing in the ACC he will know if he is NBA material. If he is then he goes into the draft the next year. If he does not excel as a freshman then a mission makes more sense and he can have a great college career after that and then maybe the NBA. If he goes right away on a mission then making the NBA is unlikely. Just too hard to recover the skill set at an NBA level after 2 years. I heard a conversation that there has never been a guard out of Utah play in the NBA.

The Jacksons are great people and very committed. It has been proven you can go on a mission and have a great college career. It has not been proven you can do it in the NBA as a guard. You also lose 2 years of income for a career that may only last 2 - 10 years.

I think Duke or similar school makes more sense for Frank than it did Jabari. Jabari was going to the NBA after one year as a top 5 pick no matter what. He could have gone to BYU and still got drafted in the same spot. Frank still needs to prove himself at an elite level to be worthy of a top NBA draft pick. Right now he is borderline. Dominating the WCC will not do that for Frank. I love BYU and wish he would come but can understand the reasons for going somewhere else. The part that is not speculation is I have heard if BYU were in a major conference he would be coming. In this case the WCC definitely hurts recruiting.

Thanks for sharing.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Anyone know who we play in 2016-17? All we know is the WCC, Utah, USU. Do we have a tournament?

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Who was the last player to go to Duke and serve a mission? If he goes to Duke, odds are no mission. But that's OK. Missions may not be for people whose athletic goals outweigh their religious goals...

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

SenorCougar wrote:Who was the last player to go to Duke and serve a mission? If he goes to Duke, odds are no mission. But that's OK. Missions may not be for people whose athletic goals outweigh their religious goals...
No desire to be critical here, but serving a mission is the only religious goal an individual needs to set? Frank can't have athletic goals and ambitions and still have religious goals that could still outweigh those athletic goals, such as temple worthy, temple marriage, worthy disciple of Christ, honoring his Priesthood, being a righteous father and husband, etc. Best of luck to Frank in all of his decisions and pursuits and may he have a successful and happy future.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Wolverine wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:Who was the last player to go to Duke and serve a mission? If he goes to Duke, odds are no mission. But that's OK. Missions may not be for people whose athletic goals outweigh their religious goals...
No desire to be critical here, but serving a mission is the only religious goal an individual needs to set? Frank can't have athletic goals and ambitions and still have religious goals that could still outweigh those athletic goals, such as temple worthy, temple marriage, worthy disciple of Christ, honoring his Priesthood, being a righteous father and husband, etc. Best of luck to Frank in all of his decisions and pursuits and may he have a successful and happy future.
He can still have those goals, but will have a much more difficult time achieving those goals should he place his career ahead of his mission. It sets a tone/priority for his life which doesn't make it impossible, just more difficult. Additionally, once he gets into big time college BBall culture and then especially NBA culture, he may not have the spiritual tools necessary to handle those circumstances as well as he thinks he can right now.

As a dad I would be pushing mission all the way and let the rest take care of itself. You can always find another career if BBall doesn't pan out, but can never recreate the experience from a mission.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BYULV wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
He can still have those goals, but will have a much more difficult time achieving those goals should he place his career ahead of his mission. It sets a tone/priority for his life which doesn't make it impossible, just more difficult. Additionally, once he gets into big time college BBall culture and then especially NBA culture, he may not have the spiritual tools necessary to handle those circumstances as well as he thinks he can right now.

As a dad I would be pushing mission all the way and let the rest take care of itself. You can always find another career if BBall doesn't pan out, but can never recreate the experience from a mission.
We could debate this all day long. I agree 100% that you can never recreate the experience from a mission and that a mission does wonders to prepare an individual for their future spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc. I don't agree that an individual (Frank Jackson in this particular case) will have a much more difficult time being a worthy and spiritual individual and achieving all of his spiritual goals and receiving all of our Father's promised blessings should he choose to pursue his career goals and not serve a mission. I don't know Frank in the least, but I do understand completely his potential as a son of a loving Heavenly Father. I have seen many who have served a mission "have a much more difficult time achieving those goals" as those who chose not to serve.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Wolverine wrote:
BYULV wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

We could debate this all day long. I agree 100% that you can never recreate the experience from a mission and that a mission does wonders to prepare an individual for their future spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc. I don't agree that an individual (Frank Jackson in this particular case) will have a much more difficult time being a worthy and spiritual individual and achieving all of his spiritual goals and receiving all of our Father's promised blessings should he choose to pursue his career goals and not serve a mission. I don't know Frank in the least, but I do understand completely his potential as a son of a loving Heavenly Father. I have seen many who have served a mission "have a much more difficult time achieving those goals" as those who chose not to serve.

Not saying he can't achieve those goals, only that he'll make it a lot harder to do so should he put himself in circumstances that detract from those goal . And big time college BBall and especially the NBA lifestyle will not make it easy for him. You also can't say that deciding to pursue basketball instead of a mission won't negatively impact his spiritual trajectory. (Speaking generally here, not about Frank specifically, of course)

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

BYULV wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
BYULV wrote:
Wolverine wrote:

Not saying he can't achieve those goals, only that he'll make it a lot harder to do so should he put himself in circumstances that detract from those goal . And big time college BBall and especially the NBA lifestyle will not make it easy for him. You also can't say that deciding to pursue basketball instead of a mission won't negatively impact his spiritual trajectory. (Speaking generally here, not about Frank specifically, of course)
The first part of your response is pretty much a no brainier. If any individual puts themselves in circumstances that detract from those goals, then it obviously becomes much harder to achieve those goals. You don't think an individual who pursues high level college basketball and a career in the NBA can't live a spiritual and righteous life? As for the "it makes it more difficult" angle, I guess I will just disagree. We all live in a world with horrendous temptation and sin available at the touch of a fingertip. Also, I don't see why pursuing basketball instead of a mission has to equate In a negative trajectory as for spiritual impact. Will it have the same upward trajectory as serving a mission? Of course not, but I don't know of many that experience the same upward spiritual trajectory that they did while in full-time service to the Lord.