Frank Jackson no longer committed to BYU? Duke in play

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Frank Jackson no longer committed to BYU? Duke in play

Post by Qman »

How much is just a good choice vs a better choice? Last time I checked going on a mission is not a saving ordinance.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Qman wrote:How much is just a good choice vs a better choice? Last time I checked going on a mission is not a saving ordinance.
Who said it was?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Qman wrote:How much is just a good choice vs a better choice? Last time I checked going on a mission is not a saving ordinance.
Not a saving ordinance, but a commandment.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Schmoe wrote:
Who said it was?
A mission is not an ordinance. An ordinance is a ceremony or religious ritual through which a covenant is made. A mission is a commandment, however.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

Now that the Dukies are just another One-and-Done destination school if he goes he'll have a good chance of spending 4 years riding the pine while watching future NBA first rounders come and go ahead of him each year. Seems like a good kid. Hope he holds to his guns and serves a mission and rethinks and re-evaluates the Y as an option.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Who said it was?
A mission is not an ordinance. An ordinance is a ceremony or religious ritual through which a covenant is made. A mission is a commandment, however.

Oh-Oh...

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

SenorCougar wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Who said it was?

Oh-Oh...

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Part of the problem with religion in general (and ours especially) as it applies to youth is that we are constantly painting artificial boundaries that our kids can't come back from. We scare our kids into believing that once they lose their viriginity, for example, they lose a part of themselves and step into an endless chasm of despair, so that if and when that happens before wedlock they feel they already have a predestined path laid out for them. We can do the same thing with drinking, smoking, "single dating" and even missions. The topics are endless, the approach is largely the same. It could be that we are creating self-fulfilling prophecies with the way that we approach our youth.

What Frank does is his business, and with all due respect, none of you have any idea what would be better for him or his current or future family. At best, you have personal evidence which you are trying to apply to Frank, but your experiences don't translate. Sorry. My advice is to pull the reigns back and focus on yourselves, and what you can control, but then again, you shouldn't take advice from someone on the internet whom you have never met (and who knows nothing about your situation past or present).
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Brayden Green wrote:Part of the problem with religion in general (and ours especially) as it applies to youth is that we are constantly painting artificial boundaries that our kids can't come back from. We scare our kids into believing that once they lose their viriginity, for example, they lose a part of themselves and step into an endless chasm of despair, so that if and when that happens before wedlock they feel they already have a predestined path laid out for them.

We can do the same thing with drinking, smoking, "single dating" and even missions. The topics are endless. It could be that we are creating self-fulfilling prophecies with the way that we approach our youth.

What Frank does is his business, and with all due respect, none of you have any idea what would be better for him or his current or future family. At best, you have personal evidence which you are trying to apply to Frank, but your experiences don't translate. Sorry. My advice is to pull the reigns back and focus on yourselves, and what you can control, but then again, you shouldn't take advice from someone on the internet whom you have never met (and who knows nothing about your situation past or present).
We are discussing the benefits of BYU and missions in general, not giving Frank Jackson advice; I doubt he's reading our posts here. We do know his and anyone else' life and family will be blessed more if they follow the commandments than if they don't, including the commandment to serve a mission. Not sure how someone's life can be better for choosing a career first over following a commandment. I agree with your initial premise that we in our culture overpreach the boundaries from which we cannot return, but that doesn't mean we should loosen those boundaries.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Telling others that they should focus on themselves is pretty ironic.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,