Nate Austin returning

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Nate Austin returning

Post by hawkwing »

Nate Austin has been granted a medical hardship and will return to the team this season.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Re: Nate Austin returning

Post by ABYUFAN »

That is great news! He would have made a huge difference for us last year.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Hmm these leaves Coach Rose with an interesting problem.

We need offense so Davis needs to start at the 4. If Aytes is who we think he is then he should take the 4 minutes that Davis can't.

So that leaves the minutes at the 5 to split between Austin and Kaufusi. So who do you start? The 6th year senior? or walk-on true sophomore? What kind of message does that send to the team if you do the logical basketball thing and start Kaufusi?

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Qman wrote: What kind of message does that send to the team if you do the logical basketball thing and start Kaufusi?
That you're a logical coach who's committed to putting the best team on the floor.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Qman wrote:Hmm these leaves Coach Rose with an interesting problem.

We need offense so Davis needs to start at the 4. If Aytes is who we think he is then he should take the 4 minutes that Davis can't.

So that leaves the minutes at the 5 to split between Austin and Kaufusi. So who do you start? The 6th year senior? or walk-on true sophomore? What kind of message does that send to the team if you do the logical basketball thing and start Kaufusi?
We will not see Aytes on the floor this year and if we do, he will not be effective. Dude had microfracture surgery on his foot. That is not something you recover quickly from.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

From everything I've heard Kaufusi will be on scholarship, but Coach Rose said Nate would be a walk-on if he got his medical hardship. Now BYU does have an open scholarship (Bartley's), so maybe Nate gets that one. But IMO it not even a contest, Corbin is ahead of Nate and it;s not even close. Nate has played a some back up minutes at the 5 over his career, it's been because all other options were gone. How soon we forget that Nate's Sophomore year Josh Sharp 6' 7" 175 (also a Sophomore) started 22 games at the #4 compared to Nate's 7 starts. The other 7 games BYU more or less started a 4 guard line up... Nate is a hard worker and will like get his fair share of minutes, but Corbin has way more side in his game.

;)

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:

We will not see Aytes on the floor this year and if we do, he will not be effective. Dude had microfracture surgery on his foot. That is not something you recover quickly from.
Looks like his surgery was back in November 2014, unless he had a more recent procedure that I'm not finding? there are a lot of variables in microfracture surgery of the ankle, but there is no reason to believe he shouldn't be ready to play after about 6-8 months (and that's a very conservative time frame).

He should definitely be full activity by now. If he's not, the procedure wasn't effective and he may not ever be able to complete get rid of all the pain. Unfortunately there are no home run procedures for that type of injury. We will find out soon I suppose.