DNews Emery Health Challenges

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

DNews Emery Health Challenges

Post by Qman »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... areer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are few really interesting quotes:
While playing basketball he felt cold, so he adapted by wearing long sleeves during games, which helped his circulation. He saw doctors, but they weren’t too concerned about the ailment.
I always though the long sleeve thing was really weird. But it is explained now.
“Physically, I’m feeling great. I haven’t felt this way in a long time,” Emery said. “I’m finally getting my circulation back and I haven’t had any nerve problems the past couple of months. It was definitely a big scare for a while. But I’m back on track to where I want to be … At first (TOS) was that mental block. But now, it’s at a point to where I don’t think about it anymore. That was the goal of the doctors and my goal as well. It’s progressing at a good rate right now. Before, it was a constant thing. Now, it comes and goes. I can never tell when it comes. When it does come, it doesn’t affect the way I play at all. It’s just more on the annoying side, where it kind of bugs you.”
This makes me a little nervous... he says it doesn't affect his play but losing feeling in you hands can't be helpful.
Jackson said Nick’s skill set will benefit BYU.

“He’s got a lot of power. He’s able to stretch the floor as well. He’s a fantastic shooter and is able to drive to the basket using his strength. That’s something he and I are different in — we’re built differently. He’s a little stockier. I’m a little leaner and a little more athletic in terms of jumping and stuff. His power and his distance are really what defines him as a player.”
Nick added that he’s comfortable playing both the point and shooting guard positions. “I can come off screens, or I can bring the ball up,” he said. “Whatever I’m asked to do, I’ll do.”
This seems it indicate he'll be ready to play D-1 ball and given our dearth of options he may be starting.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: DNews Emery Health Challenges

Post by nuk13 »

I would love to see an outstanding point guard. We have the other kind of guards. We need someone who'll get the ball to the unexpected place and who will shut down the opponents pg. This is not to say I'm dissatisfied with KC. I love his game and hope he breaks the ncaa record for triple doubles this year. I'd love to see Emery at Pg with Kyle at small forward. There will be incredible ball movement and thus open shots.

It would be great if these 2 and the others playing well enough to get to the next level, meaning beating the Zags and getting past the first game in the ncaa playoffs.

byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: DNews Emery Health Challenges

Post by byucougar1 »

KC doesn't have the footspeed to keep up with quick PGs. On defense he would usually guard the taller SG/ or 3/4. Emery will likely be used to defend PG as Fisher was not a good defender (that is why Halford, Winder and Bartley) played defense by committee last season.