Top 50 coaches in the NCAA

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Top 50 coaches in the NCAA

Post by hawkwing »

Dave Rose was not listed. Fair? Not Fair? There's no denying that Dave Rose is a fantastic regular season coach, but it's also undeniable that he has a terrible post season record. Is that enough to leave him off the list of top 50 coaches?

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketb ... es-2015-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: Top 50 coaches in the NCAA

Post by hawkwing »

Larry Krystkowiak of Utah is ranked #22.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

I'm going to say it's pretty lame. To be making the tourney consistently with the recruiting limitations of BYU, which most would agree is a football-first school, should be enough to put him in. EDIT-- I'd put him at 37.
Last edited by Schmoe on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Please add where you would rank Rose in your replies. I'll go first. 43.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Schmoe wrote:I'm going to say it's pretty lame. To be making the tourney consistently with the recruiting limitations of BYU, which most would agree is a football-first school, should be enough to put him in.
Obviously we'd all like to see better post season results. I think we're going to start to see that. But first we had to get to the tournament more often, and Rose has done that: 8/10 years. It's easy to forget how that was not even close to the norm for BYU before he got here. Next, we had to break the 18 year NCAA tournament win drought. And he's done that with 4 wins in the last 4 tournament appearances. What even BYU fans sometimes seem to forget is that Rose now has more NCAA tournament victories than anyone who has ever coached at BYU -- well, tied for 4 with Stan Watts anyway. He hasn't lost as many games as Watts did though. And he's done that in HALF the number of seasons.

But I love what Rose has said his expectations are and what he just said this week:
"It was really important to me when I took this job 10 years ago that we didn't just have good teams but have a great program," Rose said. "We wanted to be consistent year after year and not just plan for a big year. We're still looking for that really big year, but we also want to be consistently good."

I remember right before Steve Cleveland left, that he commented about how high expectations were at BYU and basically how expecting to get to the NCAA tournament every year was basically too much to expect. I like Coach Cleveland, but I didn't really care much for that comment, nor did I think it was true. Dave Rose has shown that BYU can get there almost every year. He has set a higher bar, and with the multiple 4* recruits who will start to load up our roster over the next few years, I think we're going to get to where Rose has always wanted to take this program. If you project future rosters and look to see who is coming into the program and back from missions, there could actually be as many as seven or eight 4* players on the team at the same time around 2017 or 2018. That is pretty amazing. Imagine how good the football team would be if 2/3rds of the roster were 4* talent!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

hawkwing wrote:Please add where you would rank Rose in your replies. I'll go first. 43.
I'd say that until BYU wins more than 2 games in the NCAA 43 is as high as I'd go. I hope that come March we can revise that down into the single digits. I think the talent is there.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Unfair. He's easily top 25. And how does Utah's coach get so high? Thay guy has a losing conference record, a losing post season record, and is 4 games (2 wins) over 500 for his career. To put it in perspective, Rose would have to lose every game for the next 5 years before he'd have Larry Krystkowiak's current winning percentage.

The list is stupid

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

ABYUFAN wrote:Unfair. He's easily top 25. And how does Utah's coach get so high? Thay guy has a losing conference record, a losing post season record, and is 4 games (2 wins) over 500 for his career. To put it in perspective, Rose would have to lose every game for the next 5 years before he'd have Larry Krystkowiak's current winning percentage.

The list is stupid
Valid points. Krystkowiak is a good coach, but he hasn't done enough to deserve to be that high. Also, Steve Alford and Steve Fisher making the list but Rose not is kind of funny. Who was winning the conference almost every year when all three of those guys were coaching in the same league? It wasn't SDSU or UNM. Also, no one ever fired Dave Rose, unlike those guys. I'm not saying they aren't good coaches, but neither is way better than Rose. But with the players we have coming in over the next few years I'll predict now that future lists like this will find it impossible to keep Rose off.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

nuk13 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Please add where you would rank Rose in your replies. I'll go first. 43.
I'd say that until BYU wins more than 2 games in the NCAA 43 is as high as I'd go. I hope that come March we can revise that down into the single digits. I think the talent is there.
I'd like to see Fisher and Alford win more NCAA tournament games before ranking them above Rose. It would also help the argument if they had won more MWC championships than BYU when all three were in the same league, but that didn't happen.
Last edited by BlueK on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:Unfair. He's easily top 25. And how does Utah's coach get so high? Thay guy has a losing conference record, a losing post season record, and is 4 games (2 wins) over 500 for his career. To put it in perspective, Rose would have to lose every game for the next 5 years before he'd have Larry Krystkowiak's current winning percentage.

The list is stupid
Valid points. Krystkowiak is a good coach, but he hasn't done enough to deserve to be that high. Also, Steve Alford and Steve Fisher making the list but Rose not is kind of funny. Who was winning the conference almost every year when all three of those guys were coaching in the same league? It wasn't SDSU or UNM. Also, no one ever fired Dave Rose, unlike those guys. I'm not saying they aren't good coaches, but neither is way better than Rose. But with the players we have coming in over the next few years I'll predict now that future lists like this will find it impossible to keep Rose off.
I think he has done enough to make the list. He took a program that was completely in the tanks and turned them around to a sweet 16 team in just a matter of a year or two.