BYU vs ACU (exhibition #1)

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs ACU (exhibition #1)

Post by nuk13 »

Thanks Brayden for the tip about byutv.; I really enjoyed the game. The kids who stood out to me were Emery who obviously can shoot but can also push the ball up the court and pass it very well. Davis is very involved and knows where the ball is and how to put it in the hole. eHis block and return spike from Emery was the play of the game. Toolson seems to have all the offensive tools. He is not bad at defense.

I was also impressed with Hartsock and Shaw who both have a lot of upside. Fiesty is a good description of Ainge. I'm glad Austin is back. He is a fighter. I agree that the post is going to be better this year with Kafusi, Davis, Aytes, Shaw, Hartsock and Austin. I don't think we've ever had that much quality and quantity down low. We have 3 guys who can handle point and plenty who can do well at the wing position. There are shooters at every position.

If the young guys can develop this is going to be a very good team. This could be the year Gonzaga places 2nd in conference.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

No problem Nuk. Glad to help. No question about Gonzaga going down this year. Byu will be an interesting watch this year. LOADS of talent, just super young. I think/hope BYU figures it out this year, and Gonzaga takes a backseat to the Cougars for the next decade. As exciting as this year's team is, the best is still yet to come as we get Mika back, Haws gets off his mission and we get some experience. It should be fun to watch!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Brayden Green wrote:No problem Nuk. Glad to help. No question about Gonzaga going down this year. Byu will be an interesting watch this year. LOADS of talent, just super young. I think/hope BYU figures it out this year, and Gonzaga takes a backseat to the Cougars for the next decade. As exciting as this year's team is, the best is still yet to come as we get Mika back, Haws gets off his mission and we get some experience. It should be fun to watch!

I like the way you are thinking here. I have the utmost respect for Coach Few and the program he has built at Gonzaga, but it is time for them to spend some time chasing after BYU. I'm not so sure this is the year, but I like our chances. Some of the young guns will need to grow up quickly. You are spot on about the future, and don't forget about Payton Dastrup along with Mika and Haws. This year's team has to have some early season success in the big games in Hawaii and at Utah in particular. This kind of success early can make a big difference in dethroning Gonzaga later on.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We'll give them a run for their money this year. Keep in mind we beat them last year on their home court, something hardly anyone has ever done. That gives us some swagger.

That said, I don't think we win the WCC this year. Too young of a team. There will be slip ups. Next year and the year after look real good.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I hope Gonzaga has a great team this year and we beat them especially in the last game we have with them. The team is young but they sure looked confident in the ACU game. The BYUtv commentators claimed Emery is an alpha male and I don't think he's the only one. If they can get good experience in the early games and the vets and the kids can blend into a team there is a lot to build hope on.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Gunk wrote:We'll give them a run for their money this year. Keep in mind we beat them last year on their home court, something hardly anyone has ever done. That gives us some swagger.

That said, I don't think we win the WCC this year. Too young of a team. There will be slip ups. Next year and the year after look real good.

A young team yes, but they are anchored by a couple of very solid veterans who should balance/buffer the youth on the team. We might slip up, but I think the opposite is likely, we over perform. I like the talent coming, many of who will be able to contribute right away. The vets are enought to polish these young guys into a competitive bunch.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

BYULV wrote:
Gunk wrote:We'll give them a run for their money this year. Keep in mind we beat them last year on their home court, something hardly anyone has ever done. That gives us some swagger.

A young team yes, but they are anchored by a couple of very solid veterans who should balance/buffer the youth on the team. We might slip up, but I think the opposite is likely, we over perform. I like the talent coming, many of who will be able to contribute right away. The vets are enought to polish these young guys into a competitive bunch.

Do we really a have a young team?

KC (Senior and Mission)
Fischer (Senior and Transfer Year)
Toolson (Sophomore )
Kyle Davis (Junior and Transfer and Mission)
Kaufusi (Sophomore and Mission)

Austin (Senior, Mission and injury redshirt)
Calvert (Sophomore and Mission)
Emery (Freshman and Mission)
Chatman (Sophomore and Mission)
Aytes (Sophomore with Transfer year)

And yes it is basically freshman behind our main rotation... but with some good fortune they won't need to play.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

The Utah game is huge this year. Looking at the schedules, BYU is likely to be 5-0 going into that one. Utah is ranked going into the season but they may actually not be undefeated going into the BYU game as they play SDSU and some good opponents in Puerto Rico. I think they will be good again, but the loss of Wright will be felt.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Qman wrote:
BYULV wrote:

Do we really a have a young team?

KC (Senior and Mission)
Fischer (Senior and Transfer Year)
Toolson (Sophomore )
Kyle Davis (Junior and Transfer and Mission)
Kaufusi (Sophomore and Mission)

Austin (Senior, Mission and injury redshirt)
Calvert (Sophomore and Mission)
Emery (Freshman and Mission)
Chatman (Sophomore and Mission)
Aytes (Sophomore with Transfer year)

And yes it is basically freshman behind our main rotation... but with some good fortune they won't need to play.
http://byucougars.com/roster/m-basketball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say yes in answer to your question as to whether or not BYU has a young team. When you click on the above link, I counted 12 of the 16 players listed as Freshman or Sophomores. There are 3 seniors (one of whom is a transfer and has played here one season), and the lone junior is a transfer who has yet to play a regular season game for BYU. I am truly impressed at how Coach Rose and the coaching staff continue to manage the here today, gone tomorrow, and back in a couple of years aspect of missions, the revolving door of transfers, and the always unexpected injury bug, and still manage to put a very competitive team on the floor each season. Can't be easy to do.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

My point if the youth doesn't play a lot this year, then the overall young team matters more next year. But this year should have plenty experience.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb