Selfish, Sloppy, Unwatchable

BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Selfish, Sloppy, Unwatchable

Post by BlueK »

He doesn't give everyone the green light to shoot bad shots. He does bring players to the bench when he sees a problem (Carlino, sometimes Fischer). What he won't do is tell a player to pass up a good shot that comes in the right flow of the offense.

But I think he will change the offense now somewhat to something like they did a couple of years ago when Davies was still here. It was a little more deliberate and they made sure the ball went into the post first almost every time. That makes a lot of sense with the players we have this year, and that's what they will do. Our problems against LBSU came from their pressure defense on the perimeter mixed with our desire to run the offense too fast. Had the guards kept their heads and not rushed so much they wouldn't have made so many bad passes and we win the game.

Rose likes uptempo and taking advantage of transition opportunities. He always has and that will not change. However, remember in the 2013-2014 season the breakneck pace style was introduced at the Stanford game and caught them way off guard. It even surprised our fans. But fans have really short memories and think since we've been playing more or less at that style since that it's always been the way every Rose team has played.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I've been thinking about that game. We did not do any backdoor plays. With the pressure D, it should had been open and a few successful plays would had lessen the pressure.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:I've been thinking about that game. We did not do any backdoor plays. With the pressure D, it should had been open and a few successful plays would had lessen the pressure.
We never do back door plays. I can't remembert he last time we deliberately ran a back door play.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:
scott715 wrote:I've been thinking about that game. We did not do any backdoor plays. With the pressure D, it should had been open and a few successful plays would had lessen the pressure.
We never do back door plays. I can't remembert he last time we deliberately ran a back door play.

Does BYU have plays? Half tongue in cheek, half real question. Our plays mostly seem to convince of chucking up a 3 pointer whenever the urge hits you.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Does BYU have plays? Half tongue in cheek, half real question. Our plays mostly seem to convince of chucking up a 3 pointer whenever the urge hits you.
Last season there were a lot of plays, usually centered around getting Haws the ball. From what I have seen this year, it's quite unorganized out there.

Again, I think this where we would benefit from having a true PG - someone of the mind set of being a facilitator.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Last season there were a lot of plays, usually centered around getting Haws the ball. From what I have seen this year, it's quite unorganized out there.

Again, I think this where we would benefit from having a true PG - someone of the mind set of being a facilitator.

I agree with you here. A true PG in this system would be nice to see. I am beginning to wonder if there is such a thing anymore. As crappy as this team played on the road against LBSU and lost by a point, is there any solace in the fact that LBSU won tonight 80-77 over Seton Hall in a tournament in Charleston? It will be interesting to watch this team moving forward.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image[/quote]

I think Emery could do it but he looks to shoot too much. How about Chatman? I think he has a team first mentality. It may take a while but I believe he could do it.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

This is hopefully the loss that Rose needed to enforce change on his lineup.

I have said it for weeks, and years. KC is not a true point guard. I love KC and the hustle, but it is the wrong thing for the team. Durant could have averaged a triple double at Texas playing as a 6'10 guard. He has the same handles as KC, is a better passer, and his shooting is in a whole other solar system. So it begs the question... why did Durant play at the forward position? Because it was where he was going to play in the NBA, and it was better for the team that he play somewhere with the ball out of his hands.

Emery is twice the point guard that KC is. He can shoot, pass, drive, and play very good MAN DEFENSE against his opposing guard. BYU's best lineup is Emery at point, (Insert 2 guard here - it could be Fischer, but sometimes he is ice cold), KC at small forward, Davis at PF, and Kaufusi at center. I expect to see this lineup the next time they are out. Fishcer should not be starting over Emery. Emery is the better player in almost every facet. I am fine with them starting side by side, but there is no excuse (other than "he's earned it, seniority, etc.) to start Fischer over Emery.

There is no Tyler Haws to prevent KC from sliding into small forward, so this change absolutely needs to happen, and the quicker the better.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: