Cougar Classic

BYU Cougars on the court.
crazycougar84601
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Cougar Classic

Post by crazycougar84601 »

Why does BYU no longer host a cougar classic? I enjoyed these as a kid. I also remember hosting the WAC tournament one year. Wad neat to see different teams play at our venue.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Cougar Classic

Post by BlueK »

crazycougar84601 wrote:Why does BYU no longer host a cougar classic? I enjoyed these as a kid. I also remember hosting the WAC tournament one year. Wad neat to see different teams play at our venue.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I think it was just getting harder and harder to get good teams to come for a 4 team school hosted tournament. Not sure all the reasons, but in the last few years of the CC, it seemed like the quality of the opponents kept going down. At least, that's what I remember. When I was a kid it seemed that tons of teams would host their own tournament, including BYU, Utah and Utah State. Also, I think I read once that they had to pay these teams to come and it was getting to where the expense wasn't worth it. Now these kinds of tournaments don't really exist anymore. The ones we have now are almost all owned by ESPN, from what I understand because it's the primary way they can get the popular teams to play each other in November and December.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...