Officiating in conference games gotten better so far?

BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Officiating in conference games gotten better so far?

Post by scott715 »

I learned the rule book says the net is part of the rim thus the dunk was not a basket. The refs were looking to see if the ball had hit his head and then came out.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

scott715 wrote:I learned the rule book says the net is part of the rim thus the dunk was not a basket. The refs were looking to see if the ball had hit his head and then came out.
Can you cite your source? All I've found in the official rulebook is
Art. 2. A goal is made when:
a. A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains
in or passes through the basket;

It does define the net as part of the basket, but it seems arbitrary to say that a ball that has gone through the ring but is stopped by the net is no good as there are three inches of leeway in how long a net can be and the rulebook specifically mentions that the purpose of the net is "to check the ball momentarily as it passes through."

Also, if it does have to pass through the net, what happens when a ball breaks through the side of the net? (extremely rare, I know, but about as common as what we saw last night) If this is the rule, in this day and age of replays, it seems like a stupid one.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

The reffing was demonstrably bad. There were probably at least 10 fouls called that weren't actual fouls, and about 20 no calls. I have seen better games reffed at every level leading up to Div 1 ncaa. There needs to be some sort of accountability for this league.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I had felt like the last two games we had gone back to the bad days of the WCC/MWC. I looked at the stats and yes, last night was the worse of the conference games this season but last night it was just as bad both ways:

Opponent/BYU/Opp/Total
Pepperdine/24/24/48
LMU/23/19/42
@Pepperdine/15/18/33
@LMU/15/16/31
@Portland/21/26/47
@Gonzaga/22/16/38
San Fran/17/23/40
Santa Clara/19/18/37
@Pacific/16/27/43
@SMC/19/16/35

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Schmoe wrote:Thought I'd revive this in light of last night's game. These officials are awful. They anticipate foul calls, causing clean blocks and steals to get called as fouls, they simply don't call travels, and even after review they didn't count Kaufusi's dunk which clearly and obviously went through the hoop. These guys are terrible, they jobbed us out of a W at Portland, they suck.
A ball has to go all the way through the net to count, which it didn't. Maybe a dumb rule, but it's the rule, and they were correct despite what the announcers said. They even reviewed it during the game. It was a fluke thing. I've never seen that before.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

So they make the one hard call, but miss about 5 clear blocks and call them fouls, when they were all ball?

:skeptic:

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BlueK wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Thought I'd revive this in light of last night's game. These officials are awful. They anticipate foul calls, causing clean blocks and steals to get called as fouls, they simply don't call travels, and even after review they didn't count Kaufusi's dunk which clearly and obviously went through the hoop. These guys are terrible, they jobbed us out of a W at Portland, they suck.
A ball has to go all the way through the net to count, which it didn't. Maybe a dumb rule, but it's the rule, and they were correct despite what the announcers said. They even reviewed it during the game. It was a fluke thing. I've never seen that before.
Yep, I looked up one other example of this happening and I'll admit that I was wrong on that one. However, it doesn't change my overall assessment of the officiating this season.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Schmoe wrote:
BlueK wrote:
Yep, I looked up one other example of this happening and I'll admit that I was wrong on that one. However, it doesn't change my overall assessment of the officiating this season.
I agree there have been some bad calls. And it's just going by memory, but I think it was actually worse before this year. It's less horrible this year, or at least more on par with the P12 and MWC. Remember when Rose started to bring Mika off the bench a couple of years ago? Bad officiating was the only reason. He figured out that the first call on Mika was almost always a really bad call. So he'd save him on the bench for a few minutes until the call would come against Worthington or someone else. Then he'd bring him in and he ended up staying out of foul trouble most of the time.
Last edited by BlueK on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

The ball must clear the net for it to be counted.

Art. 1. A goal shall be made when:
a. A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through

And the definition of the basket is:

Rule 4 Definitions, Section 4. Basket
Art. 1. Each basket consists of an 18-inch ring, its flange and braces, and appended net through which players attempt to throw or tap the ball.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

They couldn't be any worse than our YM games. We have very few bball players so this year we have to members who want to play. My son 9th grade and another kid who is a senior. There is one other kid that is not baptized but the dad is a member and they have been one of our focus families on and off for the last four years. Anyway we count him as a member so we don't label him since he does have a connection to the church. So the refs are from another ward which just happened to win it for five years straight. But it seems our ward is not liked by them because we are just about the only one that can take it from them. So last week we are playing another ward and these refs are just hosing the boys. They call an offensive foul on one of the ok members and he turns and walks away and mutters under his breath "you've gotta be kidding me ". The ref follows him and starts asks what he said. He turns and looks at the ref and asks "what?" And gets tossed. This was his response after the game.