Kyle Collinsworth's selfishness is losing BYU games.

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kyle Collinsworth's selfishness is losing BYU games.

Post by Qman »

Brayden Green wrote:Exactly Gunk. Steve Kerr brought the Spurs' system to GS, and it's a thing of beauty to watch.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

In addition to unselfishness the other Key is to have a system. IMO KC forces things because our system breaks down quickly and he doesn't have a fallback option within the system. Now we do play several freshman and/or transfers in their first year of play. Maybe we just don't have the chemistry or experience to play that way.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Qman wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Exactly Gunk. Steve Kerr brought the Spurs' system to GS, and it's a thing of beauty to watch.

In addition to unselfishness the other Key is to have a system. IMO KC forces things because our system breaks down quickly and he doesn't have a fallback option within the system. Now we do play several freshman and/or transfers in their first year of play. Maybe we just don't have the chemistry or experience to play that way.
Perhaps...

I think the system is too loose, which let's talented and overtly confident players like KC and Carlino dictate too much.

Last season the game plan was set Haws up for a shot. KC operated well within that gameplan. What is it now? Seems to be more of an inside out plan. So, if you're a forward playing PG and can't shoot, where do you fit in that game plan?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

Wolverine wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:It's getting frustrating for the 3rd year in a row to watch Collinsworth lose his team games because he can't give up the point guard spot to people that are obviously better. I will even give you last year with Tyler Haws you might want to play KColl at PG because he is too good of a player to come off the bench, and neither he nor Haws can guard shooting guards, so one of them plays SF and one plays PG. I understand the logic there. I don't agree with it, but I get what is trying to happen there.

There is no excuse for starting KC as the Point Guard over Nick Emery this year. Absolutely none. KC guards the other teams' small forward on defense, and Emery guards the point guard in man defense. Anything that KColl does well (posting his man, passing out of a doubleteam, rebounding) he can do from the small forward position, and with the ball out of his hands he would be open to run around the court and make back cuts to the basket (like he did his freshman year with JImmer at the point). I'm not interested in straw man arguments. Kyle has a ton of heart, and a lot of talent. I'm not questioning that. I am questioning if that talent is being used correctly. I don't thing it is.

KC vs. Emery.

Is KC a better dribbler / passer? No.
Does he have better court vision? No.
Is he quicker? No.
Does he shoot better from the FT line (critical for late game situations, and getting fouled driving? No.
Does he have better court vision? No. He dribbles with his head down, and shows no desire to advance the ball upcourt. Probably because it won't result in an assist.
Does he have a better mid-range jumper? No. He has 0 mid range jumper.
Does he shoot better from the 3 line? No, he is terrible from 3, and Emery is the all-time record holder for freshman made 3's.
Does he break the full court press better? No.
Does he push tempo uo the court looking for fast break options? No.

I don't understand it. Rose is a smart man. But, he is dead wrong here, and it has gone on too long. Getting triple doubles is not as important as winning ball games, and I have seen chasing a triple double infect KC's play and decision making.
I like KC and appreciate all he does, but I am in agreement with you on almost all of your points (and they are many and thorough). For some reason, and I have no idea why, I am at peace with letting this season just run it's course. Pretty much a "Que Sera, Sera" attitude on my part at this point. I will cheer for the team to win every game, but look forward to next year with a more traditional PG running the offense, and seeing Mika and Davis as a tandem in the post. Dastrup and little Haws get me excited as well. From what I hear, the transfer from Elon, Bryant, will step in at the Point quite capably. I think Coach Rose knows it isn't an ideal PG situation. What none of us fans and posters know are the internal dynamics of the team or the pulse of the locker room. It is easy to sit back as a fan and say to hell with it, shake it all up and make some changes. I believe that is much easier said than done. Coach Rose has my trust in doing what is best for the team and program moving forward. I wish him nothing but the best.
Yeah, I agree with you Wolverine. I'm at peace with just letting this season play out. I think there will still be some nice moments this year, but they will likely be more like the 2013 season and its NIT final four run, or something like that. BYU has some serious talent coming in next year. One thing for this year is that BYU has played a ridiculous number of road games so far, so some things will even out before the end of the season with playing a lot more at home where we play a lot better. Also, with Gonzaga down a little this year, we may actually have a decent shot at surprising in the conference tournament. I know it doesn't "feel" like it right now because we lost our last game, but this is the team that also beat the Zags on the road not that long ago. And St Mary's has to finish playing a lot of road games. It's not over yet.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

This assessment will be tested tonight. Since he will have limited playing time, BYU should be a better team, right?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SenorCougar wrote:This assessment will be tested tonight. Since he will have limited playing time, BYU should be a better team, right?
And...

Herculean effort by KC, but I think BYU will be pretty stable without him. Of course if I could, I'd keep him for another year though. With TJ Haws and Nick Emery next year the BYU backcourt will be frightening. Bryant could have something to prove as well. Very excited about next year and appreciate the year that KC just had. He's certainly a special player and was a big part of this years success.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I love that this thread is still at the top of the board. I'm no basketball genius but......

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well Bryant will replace KC and Haws will replace Fisher. We should be in good shape for next year. I was very fearful with KC being sick. I thought we would get blown out. Almost did at the start.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

If KC had gotten sick earlier in the season, we would have been. In January, and even in February, when KC came out, there was consistently a noticeable drop off. In early March, Coach Lewis said, and I agree, that Nick was "just now hitting his [high school playing level] stride." Emery was not handling the point nearly as well earlier as he is now, and he is not handling it nearly as well now as he will next year. The future is bright at the point position, but this year, KC has given us mountains more than he has cost us.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

KC has been one of the best EVER to play at BYU. Can't believe the disrespect he's been getting from some... :~(

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

KC is clearly the best PG on the team, and it was even evident last night as Fischer and Emery both struggled at times bringing the ball up the court and distributing it effectively. But BYU was able to outlast and ultimately outplay Creighton with the guys who were available.