Kyle played one heck of a game against LMU

BYU Cougars on the court.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kyle played one heck of a game against LMU

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:Key = 6 fga on the game. That's what a Coach Rose PG needs should be doing in this offense.
Yep. I wish that basketball counted assists on the second to last pass and not just the last pass when shot in succession, because that outlet pass is key to BYU's success in getting out in transition and Kcoll has been hesitant to throw it before this game. As I have mentioned, I think that is because he wants the assist.

To his credit he threw the outlet all night long, and it was the best BYU has played this season except for maybe one other game.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

I think I watched a different game last night. I saw a team that played terrible defense in the first half and that struggled in the half court game. We played helter skelter at times and it was frustrating. It looked like they didn't know what to do on offense. Please tell me that Rose does not have a play that has Austin taking a lot of jumpers from just inside the three point line. There was also more standing around in the first half. I remember one play where Austin got trapped near the corner and the other four players stood where they were waving their an arm. I was in disbelief! GUARDS GO TO THE BALL, BIGS MOVE AND GET OPEN BUT DON'T EVERYONE JUST STAND THERE!

I think the key last night was our defense. It led to so many open shots on the other end (and KC was the catalyst of that defense). It seems to me that we really struggle to get good looks in the half court offense so the shots don't fall. When our guys are running the floor they seem to be more confident and they make more of their shots.

Kudos to not one but two players (one BYU and one LMU) who tried to make a statement dunk and got rejected by the rim :blush: . Better luck next time guys!

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

This team has a pattern of either not having a good game plan or not being disciplined in executing it.

We play a 1-3-1, man and a 2-3 matchup at times on D. But we haven't mastered any of them as a team. There doesn't seem to a lot of coaching on how to force guys into help spots or on where the help should be on D. If we knew our base D then we could make effective adjusts for each opponent and at half time.

Offensively we do similar things. We aren't a flex offense or 4-out or anything. We have a few set plays that work fairly well, but when someone clamps down we can't get anything out of basic set. So then KC or Fischer have to create something. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't.

I don't know how much of this was Rose or his assistants. But when Rice was here our Man defense was much more disciplined.

I like the overall talent Rose has brought in and the effort level of the team. But great teams know how to get stops and clutch buckets. Right now the coaching staff hasn't prepared them for that.

Now on the LMU game- we gave a decent effort in the 1st half but apparently being on BYUTV motivated them to a great first half. I liked how Emery was trying to get to the rim.

Their big guy Jacko was killing us. So Coach Rose did the obvious thing- he put his 'PG' KC on him. KC slowed him way down and maintained his offensive production. KC is a great player. I think his selflessness tonight was more a product of the LMU leaving guys open for him to pass to all night long.

Also Seljaas got the start in the 2nd half to spark out offense.

It was a fun game and we pulled off a nice road win. But I haven't seen the progress I hoped to see as the year as gone on.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

We outscored them by 21 points in the second half. The second half was a completely different game on both ends. The offense was excellent in half 2 and the efficiency numbers back up that claim. The defense also improved statistically for sure, and there were more big plays there and the effort did seem a little better to me.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

KC's talent or gift to me is that he can make everyone else so much better. Lots of other good or talented players cannot do that. Last night he made the team look good, very good. And last night was proof the KC does not need to score for the team to do well.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Qman wrote:This team has a pattern of either not having a good game plan or not being disciplined in executing it.

We play a 1-3-1, man and a 2-3 matchup at times on D. But we haven't mastered any of them as a team. There doesn't seem to a lot of coaching on how to force guys into help spots or on where the help should be on D. If we knew our base D then we could make effective adjusts for each opponent and at half time.

Offensively we do similar things. We aren't a flex offense or 4-out or anything. We have a few set plays that work fairly well, but when someone clamps down we can't get anything out of basic set. So then KC or Fischer have to create something. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't.

I don't know how much of this was Rose or his assistants. But when Rice was here our Man defense was much more disciplined.

I like the overall talent Rose has brought in and the effort level of the team. But great teams know how to get stops and clutch buckets. Right now the coaching staff hasn't prepared them for that.

Now on the LMU game- we gave a decent effort in the 1st half but apparently being on BYUTV motivated them to a great first half. I liked how Emery was trying to get to the rim.

Their big guy Jacko was killing us. So Coach Rose did the obvious thing- he put his 'PG' KC on him. KC slowed him way down and maintained his offensive production. KC is a great player. I think his selflessness tonight was more a product of the LMU leaving guys open for him to pass to all night long.

Also Seljaas got the start in the 2nd half to spark out offense.

It was a fun game and we pulled off a nice road win. But I haven't seen the progress I hoped to see as the year as gone on.
Great analysis. I have to imagine that it all drives Rose insane. He has forgotten more about bball than I will ever know so I'm sure he is aware of it. I know the team is young but we do have three very good seniors.

On a different note. Wow on Aytes! I think he is trying to make plays and it just blows up in his face.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image