So is this loss on Emery and Davis?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

So is this loss on Emery and Davis?

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Since some of you have singled out KC should we single out our back up PG taking crappy impossible shots and quick Carlino deep threes? And a no show by Davis? Or do some of you wants to blame this one on KC as well?

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: So is this loss on Emery and Davis?

Post by BoiseBYU »

Ugly game. Defense was better, but we shot poorly. Davis could not close. Too many turnovers.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Fischer: 5-16
Emery: 6-17
Davis: 2-9

Yes, sometimes you can shoot yourself out of a slump, but when it gets this bad, move the ball, drive and dish, find new ways to help your team. Awful.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

This team is extremely frustrating. They continue to find new ways to lose to inferior teams. I hope we start seeing some maturity from BYU if not this year in the next couple of years.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU looked like a tired team tonight and shot like a tired team.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Answer for the OP - Yes.
And on KC (I thought this guy was the assist leader at BYU, and he's still shooting 6-10 FTs which hurts in this game)
And on Seljaas - choked
and on Kaufusi who has been a disappearing act
and on Austin who decided to foul down the stretch the best FT shooter on the waves team when BYU would have got the rebound (everything fell apart at that point).
And on Toolson and Calvert because BYU looked gassed.

This was a total team failure.

Interesting how good BYU's defense looked tonight running man (another big mistake was rose taking out Davis and keeping Seljaas in there gaurding Pepperdine's Jett Raines who killed Seljaas in the post). BYU got blasted in those last 4 minutes when they went to a zone.

byu should not lose that game. They tightened up and ran out of gas in the end. They also have no half court game other than Emery/KC/Fischer take it straight at 3 guys and see what happens. I actually love Emery and KC. They both have good motors, I just think KC is playing out of position.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Specifically it was the last three minutes that were frustrating. The game was back and forth trading baskets and the lead most of the time. Towards the end of the game, Murray's 3 pointer was the play that pushed them ahead and gave them momentum. Critical turnovers by KC and some of his missed point blank shots along with dropped passes for assists to TRex, KD and extremely poor FT shooting doomed the team from finishing strong. In reality, when the inside game disappears (primarily KD), and the 3 point shooters: Fisher, Emery and Zeljas fail to perform, this team is toast.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I wouldn't put in on Emery as much as I would Fischer. Emery went 4-8 from the 3 and we really needed some of those. Fischer's 2 for 8 from 3 was bad, obviously.

Davis just looked lost tonight, and Austin has zero offensive game. I mean, you might as well flip a coin to see whether or not he will hold on to the ball.

If you still think that KC should be our point guard, I don't know that to tell you. We are down 2 with about a minute to go and he throws it straight out of bounds. The question I have, is why does he even have the ball when we are down 2 or 3 points and it is the last posession? If I were the opposing coach and I had a 2 or especially a 3 point lead, I would foul KColl and send him to the line, then get the ball back. You have a 50-60% chance to tie or go up by one with the ball back for the last shot.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:BYU looked like a tired team tonight and shot like a tired team.
This is a good point. BYU has played more road games than anyone else in the WCC.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

PER for the Pepperdine game:
Pepperdine.PNG
Davis just could not finish at the rim. He still played some decent defense though. KC was the best player on an overall bad team performance.

Season summary:
BYU Summary 2016-01-25.PNG
At some point we run out of players to blame and the man in the suit has to take responsibility for the bad results.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins