BYU vs Saint Mary's

BYU Cougars on the court.
TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU vs Saint Mary's

Post by TheDean »

There is too much standing around on offense in the first half of the game. you have 4 guys standing around the 3 point line while one drives in to the paint. This kind of offense doesn't work and never will. You have to be in constant motion looking for back door cuts, something BYU doesn't do at all, instead of wait for the opportunity that may or may not come so you can shoot an open 3 point shot in the hopes of hitting it. there is a reason the 3 pointer is a 36% shot.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU vs Saint Mary's

Post by Schmoe »

We've got to hit our blankity-blank free throws.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Good game for BYU. We needed that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Player ratings:
Saint Marys (2).PNG
I thought the first half we played horrible defense but were saved by our 3 point shooting. I like being aggressive and trapping/doubling, but our rotation was atrocious. Second half defense was much better. I liked the constant switch between man and 1-3-1. The 1-3-1 is my favorite zone. I like it much better than the 2-3.

KC had another awesome game. I'm surprised that Emery got so many minutes. He played just awful and that attempted dunk was just embarrassing. Kaufusi continues to play decent, but still lots of room for improvement. Davis is in a funk. He can get to the rim but just can't finish.

Awesome awesome win! We're still gonna have to win the conference tourney though...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

We win by 11 with no one but KC having a particularly good game?!? I'll take it!

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

BoiseBYU wrote:We win by 11 with no one but KC having a particularly good game?!? I'll take it!
The defense was outstanding. KenPom's formula moved us up about 30 spots on the defensive side all the way up to #78 just after last night. We've been in the 100s most of the season.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BoiseBYU wrote:We win by 11 with no one but KC having a particularly good game?!? I'll take it!
A particularly good offensive game, that is. Our defense, as brilliantly schemed up by the coaching staff, stymied St. Mary's.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

There has been some complaining about KC's "selfishness" costing us games, and maybe there's some truth in that on occasion. But last night we saw, a few minutes into the second half, a Jimmer-like taking control of the game by Kyle. It was almost like a switch turned on and he just willed the team to that ten-point lead. I know this depended in part on other players hitting their shots when he passed to them, but seeing that sheer intensity of will expressed again by a player on both the offensive and defensive side was pretty awesome.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Sammich wrote:There has been some complaining about KC's "selfishness" costing us games, and maybe there's some truth in that on occasion. But last night we saw, a few minutes into the second half, a Jimmer-like taking control of the game by Kyle. It was almost like a switch turned on and he just willed the team to that ten-point lead. I know this depended in part on other players hitting their shots when he passed to them, but seeing that sheer intensity of will expressed again by a player on both the offensive and defensive side was pretty awesome.
I agree. I think we saw a little evolution in KC. He wasn't at all playing for the triple-double or anything else for that matter except the win.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

byufan4ever wrote:Player ratings:
Saint Marys (2).PNG
I thought the first half we played horrible defense but were saved by our 3 point shooting. I like being aggressive and trapping/doubling, but our rotation was atrocious. Second half defense was much better. I liked the constant switch between man and 1-3-1. The 1-3-1 is my favorite zone. I like it much better than the 2-3.

KC had another awesome game. I'm surprised that Emery got so many minutes. He played just awful and that attempted dunk was just embarrassing. Kaufusi continues to play decent, but still lots of room for improvement. Davis is in a funk. He can get to the rim but just can't finish.

Awesome awesome win! We're still gonna have to win the conference tourney though...
Emery gots minutes even when he's off offensively, because he plays great defense. In fact, his offensive game would probably benefit if he rested a little more on defense, but I hope he keeps up his defensive intensity.