Good Ol' Letdown Games

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Good Ol' Letdown Games

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:Struggles in recruiting during the Jimmer years is what happened. At BYU it takes years for recruiting to work through the system. Not much different than what happened to BYU football toward the end of Bronco's time.
A team of walk-ons should be able to beat the bottom teams in the WCC.

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:
BlueK wrote:Struggles in recruiting during the Jimmer years is what happened. At BYU it takes years for recruiting to work through the system. Not much different than what happened to BYU football toward the end of Bronco's time.
Even Gonzaga loses those games sometimes. They've just done it less. They do it less because they have more 4-star type talent. And yes, since the Jimmer years BYU has had to rely on a few barely above walkon players to play a lot of minutes. Zylstra, Sharp, Worthington, Cusick...heck, even Nate Austin fits there. The talent is not really what it was in Rose's earlier years, and I really think it's because he wasn't a very good recruiter early on, or maybe there was a dearth of LDS talent for a few years. But he was better using Cleveland's talent than Cleveland was, which is why we went from 9 wins to 20+ wins right off the bat. I think he has since improved his recruiting, but only Mika and Emery have played yet since the 2013 class was signed, which is where his recruiting drastically took off.
Last edited by BlueK on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

BlueK wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Even Gonzaga loses those games sometimes. They've just done it less. They do it less because they have more 4-star type talent. And yes, since the Jimmer years BYU has had to rely on a few barely above walkon players to play a lot of minutes. Zylstra, Sharp, Worthington, Cusick, Zylstra...heck, even Nate Austin fits there. The talent is not really what it was in Rose's earlier years, and I really think it's because he wasn't a very good recruiter early on. But he was better using Cleveland's talent than Cleveland was. I think he has improved his recruiting, but only Mika and Emery have played yet since the 2013 class which is where his recruiting drastically took off.
And don't forget Zylstra

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

ABYUFAN wrote:
BlueK wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Even Gonzaga loses those games sometimes. They've just done it less. They do it less because they have more 4-star type talent. And yes, since the Jimmer years BYU has had to rely on a few barely above walkon players to play a lot of minutes. Zylstra, Sharp, Worthington, Cusick, Zylstra...heck, even Nate Austin fits there. The talent is not really what it was in Rose's earlier years, and I really think it's because he wasn't a very good recruiter early on. But he was better using Cleveland's talent than Cleveland was. I think he has improved his recruiting, but only Mika and Emery have played yet since the 2013 class which is where his recruiting drastically took off.
And don't forget Zylstra
Seriously, why should any good team have to rely on a player like Zylstra to play a lot of minutes? He played hard, which was great. But talent wise he was no better than the guys USD or Portland puts out there -- maybe not even that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Wow, I guess it's a huge blessing we got out of the MWC when we did or we would have gone winless in that conference.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:Wow, I guess it's a huge blessing we got out of the MWC when we did or we would have gone winless in that conference.
Not winless, but we definitely would have started losing more often to the lower level teams there than in past years when the talent was better.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:
Sorry, but that is just nonsense. Even in the WCC they are scholarship players.

Maybe a team of preferred walkons at BYU **should** beat the lower teams, but it isn't always a 99 out of 100 proposition like it is for football.

In NCAA basketball one or two players can make such a difference (Jimmer, anyone) that upsets are very likely, and happen pretty regularly. In football almost all of the top teams have a perfect record or near it. In basketball it is regular to see half a dozen loses in the top 10. And not all of those losses are "good" losses.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BlueK wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Even Gonzaga loses those games sometimes. They've just done it less. They do it less because they have more 4-star type talent. And yes, since the Jimmer years BYU has had to rely on a few barely above walkon players to play a lot of minutes. Zylstra, Sharp, Worthington, Cusick...heck, even Nate Austin fits there. The talent is not really what it was in Rose's earlier years, and I really think it's because he wasn't a very good recruiter early on, or maybe there was a dearth of LDS talent for a few years. But he was better using Cleveland's talent than Cleveland was, which is why we went from 9 wins to 20+ wins right off the bat. I think he has since improved his recruiting, but only Mika and Emery have played yet since the 2013 class was signed, which is where his recruiting drastically took off.
He isn't a bad recruiter. He got sick for a year with his cancer, and then we announced to go to the WCC. We took a dip because of the WCC. I had personally never heard of the conference until we became a member of it. I am very sure that I wasn't the only one.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

hawkwing wrote:Wow, I guess it's a huge blessing we got out of the MWC when we did or we would have gone winless in that conference.
Sorry,but we dominated that conference. The reason we started getting bad recruits is because we had problems drawing talent to the WCC. It's a garbage conference. It really is. I like the respect of the teams, and that all are pretty upstanding, but as far as competition level and hype, the MWC was much better in its heyday, and there are dozens of other conferences that BYU basketball would be better suited in.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Brayden Green wrote:
Sorry,but we dominated that conference. The reason we started getting bad recruits is because we had problems drawing talent to the WCC. It's a garbage conference. It really is. I like the respect of the teams, and that all are pretty upstanding, but as far as competition level and hype, the MWC was much better in its heyday, and there are dozens of other conferences that BYU basketball would be better suited in.
A garbage league that we have no business losing to the teams in, yet we lose 3 or more times each year to the worst of the worst.