BYU Cougars on the court.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: San Francisco Player Ratings

Post by Brayden Green »

BYULV wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Why are assists weighed more heavily than blocks? Blocks are much more rare than assists, and a better indicator of "effort". So someone with 10 blocks gets 15 points versus someone with 10 assists gets 20 points? I honestly think that would be the other way around. Blocks at 2, or 2.25 even, assists at 1.5 or 1.75.
Only problem I have with blocks is that they don't usually result in a turnover, just an in bounds for the other team.
Sure, I agree with that. But, there is a lot of non-stat effect in the game of someone that can block. Rudy Gobert can alter an entire offensive strategy, and that is very valuable to a team when you take away the inside game.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Like BYULV said blocked shots often don't result in TOs thus why they are less valuable than steals. And I like I said there are many things that are hard to quantify by stats alone. Take a sharp shooter who stands at the 3 point line and draws his man close to him afraid to play help defense. That helps a teammate get a one-on-one to the basket. Doesn't show up in the stat sheet and doesn't get any points in my calculation. You're not going to find one formula that makes everyone happy. t's not perfect, but I like it and I go through the effort to track it and post it so you're stuck with it! :)

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

And that is the best reason. I would love to see one for the woman's game.