BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

San Francisco Player Ratings

Post by byufan4ever »

SF (2).PNG
Emery sure broke out of his shooting slump! I think we should play every game at San Francisco!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: San Francisco Player Ratings

Post by hawkwing »

Nick Emery played a very Jimmeresque game. Good for him, it was fun to watch.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I like that we had 7 guys with double digit ratings.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

I have to question the numbers. If Fischer's game wasn't even decent then something is wrong. He had a great game. 22 pts, 1 TO, 1 PF, shot .500 from the floor and .800 from the stripe. If that doesn't even rate a decent on the scale then the formula is flawed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

imuakahuku wrote:I have to question the numbers. If Fischer's game wasn't even decent then something is wrong. He had a great game. 22 pts, 1 TO, 1 PF, shot .500 from the floor and .800 from the stripe. If that doesn't even rate a decent on the scale then the formula is flawed.

it's because he didn't contribute much else than points. No assists. No steals. No blocks. Few rebounds. The formula encompasses total effort and contributions to a win. If a player/team doesn't rebound, make assists, get steals or block shots they've played a very one dimensional game.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

SpiffCoug wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:I have to question the numbers. If Fischer's game wasn't even decent then something is wrong. He had a great game. 22 pts, 1 TO, 1 PF, shot .500 from the floor and .800 from the stripe. If that doesn't even rate a decent on the scale then the formula is flawed.

it's because he didn't contribute much else than points. No assists. No steals. No blocks. Few rebounds. The formula encompasses total effort and contributions to a win. If a player/team doesn't rebound, make assists, get steals or block shots they've played a very one dimensional game.

Why is his score, and other's, higher than Davis? Just curios how the formula is weighted. It just seems to me that 22 pts with high make % would be heavier weighted.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

imuakahuku wrote:Why is his score, and other's, higher than Davis? Just curios how the formula is weighted. It just seems to me that 22 pts with high make % would be heavier weighted.

I don't know how it's weighted, but I'm assuming rebounds, steals and assists are all multiplied by something. Whatever that number is, for assists, Fischer's PER was multiplied by 0 because he had 0 assists. Davis' had the assist multiplier multiplied by 1 because he had an assist. Fischer had the rebound multiplier multiplied by 1 because he had just 1 rebound. Davis had that same multiplier multiplied by 6 because he had 6 rebounds. Davis had 2 blocks, Fischer 0.

PER, in basketball, is about how much you contributed to your team's victory. Other than points, Fischer contributed very little. He did have a very good shooting game, but the rest of his game was lacking.

I don't think byufan4ever posted the Pacific game PERs, but I bet Fischer had a strong PER in that game - even though BYU lost. Because in that game, even though he didn't shoot nearly as well (3 of 14 vs Pac opposed to 6 of 12 vs USF), Fischer had 1 rebound and two assists and two steals.

To have a good PER, you have to do more than just score.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I posted the Pacific ratings here:

http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 10#p223542

Yes, Fisher did have a better rating vs Pacific. I know the BYU announcers are in love with Fisher because he's leading our team in scoring, but there's so much more to basketball than scoring. This isn't football where you can focus on just one aspect of the game. You're on the court for offense and defense. Defense is a bit hard to quantify since it's quite possible to play lock down defense without getting a steal or block.

Here is my formula:

PER = Pts - (FGA-FGM) - (FTA-FTM) + (Reb * 0.75) + (Ast * 2) + (Blk * 1.5) + (Stl * 2) - (TO * 2)

Sure, it's not perfect. And I've changed it over the years as I've been using it. It started out as a very simple formula (no weights) that my JV coach used to measure our on court efficiency and I've adapted it by adding in weights which were partly influenced by a college basketball simulation game that I used to play called Drive The Lane (since I couldn't "see" the players play I needed someway to judge the players' performance).

But you can see that it really helps to have a positive Ast+Stl to TO ratio. Some people say if you dominate the boards you win. I say if you share the rock and play great D it's hard to lose.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Why are assists weighed more heavily than blocks? Blocks are much more rare than assists, and a better indicator of "effort". So someone with 10 blocks gets 15 points versus someone with 10 assists gets 20 points? I honestly think that would be the other way around. Blocks at 2, or 2.25 even, assists at 1.5 or 1.75.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Brayden Green wrote:Why are assists weighed more heavily than blocks? Blocks are much more rare than assists, and a better indicator of "effort". So someone with 10 blocks gets 15 points versus someone with 10 assists gets 20 points? I honestly think that would be the other way around. Blocks at 2, or 2.25 even, assists at 1.5 or 1.75.
Only problem I have with blocks is that they don't usually result in a turnover, just an in bounds for the other team.