rivalry

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

rivalry

Post by nuk13 »

I noticed something that might be overlooked. K. Wiltjer was asked if BYU and Gonzaga had developed into a rivalry. He said it lacked one thing: hatred. He talked of how hard both teams fought and yet he liked and respected the BYU players. Coach Few was also complimentary. The contrast between Gonzaga and Utah hit me. After the last Utah game coach K and their AD didn't just complain they cancelled. I didn't think I'd ever say this but if Utah and Gonzaga meet I will be pulling for the Zags.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: rivalry

Post by BroncoBot »

when was that even a question?

Zags anyday, everyday.

I don't agree. I think this could be a "healthy" rivalry without the BYU vs Utah hate. Frankly I don't care about utah and don't spend my energy "hating" them. Would much rather focus on teams that are worth playing.

GREAT GAME by the zags last night. They were composed and executed. Wiltjer and Sabonis were awesome and they were the better team x 3 this year with one loss.

Classy dudes those bulldogs.

McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

BroncoBot wrote:when was that even a question?

Zags anyday, everyday.

I don't agree. I think this could be a "healthy" rivalry without the BYU vs Utah hate. Frankly I don't care about utah and don't spend my energy "hating" them. Would much rather focus on teams that are worth playing.

GREAT GAME by the zags last night. They were composed and executed. Wiltjer and Sabonis were awesome and they were the better team x 3 this year with one loss.

Classy dudes those bulldogs.
Agree.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I think that hate is present in many rivalries and can make them more heated/intense, but I certainly don't think it's necessary. A rivalry can exist simply because two teams play each other close every time out and they play each other often.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

If you read the fans' comments on their forums and elsewhere it's pretty clear that most of their fans hate us, but that's no different than basically every fanbase in the MWC so I guess it doesn't really qualify.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Zag players aren't acting like big brothers, even though they are, they are suggesting that a rivalry must have hate, which they have for SMC.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Sammich wrote:If you read the fans' comments on their forums and elsewhere it's pretty clear that most of their fans hate us, but that's no different than basically every fanbase in the MWC so I guess it doesn't really qualify.
Basically every fan base in the WCC hates us too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote:
Sammich wrote:If you read the fans' comments on their forums and elsewhere it's pretty clear that most of their fans hate us, but that's no different than basically every fanbase in the MWC so I guess it doesn't really qualify.
Basically every fan base in the WCC hates us too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Honestly there's a not insignificant portion of our fan base that I can't stand either...

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Happily, we may all get to root for exactly that. I have Utah and the Zags meeting in the second round, with the Utes choking and the Bulldogs advancing to the sweet 16.
It's gonna happen!

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

CrimsonCoug wrote:Happily, we may all get to root for exactly that. I have Utah and the Zags meeting in the second round, with the Utes choking and the Bulldogs advancing to the sweet 16.
It's gonna happen!
Are you a prophet or what? Can you give me your phone number and thereafter give me tips on where the stock market is going?