Valpo

BYU Cougars on the court.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Valpo

Post by BYULV »

SpiffCoug wrote:I never want to hear that officials don't cost a team a game. They missed an obvious goal-tending on Valpo in the first half. BYU should have had two more points that the officials stole from the Cougars.

BYU still had their chances and didn't take advantage of them. That was an awful shot by KC late in the game. They sucked in too deep on that final three by Valpo, leaving him wide open.

But the refs stole two points from BYU in a two-point game.
Probably 4 points, because valpo got a runout with an easy basket off of that "Block".

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

The guy who blocked Fischer's shot was playing dangerously close to Fischer. I know it's hard to think of this in the moment, but it would have been very easy to draw a foul and go to the line to shoot 3 free throws for the possible tie or win. The guy was leaning over Fischer and he started to jump in the air before Fischer even started going up to shoot. Fischer tried to fade away from him which resulted in a blocked shot, but he easily could have drawn so much contact that even refs who typically swallow their whistle would have been forced to call a foul. It was our best chance for a win at that point.

The icing on the cake is that even if Chase just made 2 out of three free throws The other player would have fouled out and wouldn't have been part of overtime.

Also KC took several shots from pretty long distance for him, and it was ugly. Especially that last air ball. That is not a high percentage shot for BYU and should have been avoided. Overall it was a great game from Kyle though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

PER for the final game of the season:
Valparaiso.PNG
Valparaiso (do you really pronounce it Val-po like ESPN?) is a really good team that could have won a game or two in the big dance. I've really enjoyed watching KC play, but man, if he even had a halfway decent midrange jumper, we win that game. That last shot of his was just so awful...

Season PER:
BYU Summary 2016-03-30.PNG
KC's season PER ave of 25.79 beats his last season's 23.70 which was the previous high for my stats going back to 2004-2005. Next season is "suppose" to be "special." How many of our returning players will really make an impact next season? Emery is obviously special and very likely will be the focal point next season. Davis and Kaufusi will get big men minutes but don't expect to ever see them on the WCC All-Conference team. Chatman "could" emerge to be useful if he doesn't get beat out by other players. Seljaas is leaving on a mission. The rest (Aytes, Shaw, Hartsock, Toolson (is he ever coming back??)) I don't see ever getting more than scraps of minutes. What are you thoughts of next season?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Jarhead wrote: The guy who blocked Fischer's shot was playing dangerously close to Fischer. I know it's hard to think of this in the moment, but it would have been very easy to draw a foul and go to the line to shoot 3 free throws for the possible tie or win. The guy was leaning over Fischer and he started to jump in the air before Fischer even started going up to shoot. Fischer tried to fade away from him which resulted in a blocked shot, but he easily could have drawn so much contact that even refs who typically swallow their whistle would have been forced to call a foul. It was our best chance for a win at that point.
Officials just don't call last second fouls. And that really irks me. I've heard it discussed several times on ESPN and sports radio shows and A LOT of people are in agreement to "just let them play" at the end of the game. In my mind officials should be consistent all game long. They're not perfect, but they need to try to be consistent. If something is a foul in the first minute, it's a foul in the last seconds of the game. I don't think Fischer gets that call no matter what. No official has enough balls.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It happened against Utah this year.

Oh could you show the final PER per minute?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote:
Jarhead wrote: The guy who blocked Fischer's shot was playing dangerously close to Fischer. I know it's hard to think of this in the moment, but it would have been very easy to draw a foul and go to the line to shoot 3 free throws for the possible tie or win. The guy was leaning over Fischer and he started to jump in the air before Fischer even started going up to shoot. Fischer tried to fade away from him which resulted in a blocked shot, but he easily could have drawn so much contact that even refs who typically swallow their whistle would have been forced to call a foul. It was our best chance for a win at that point.
Officials just don't call last second fouls. And that really irks me. I've heard it discussed several times on ESPN and sports radio shows and A LOT of people are in agreement to "just let them play" at the end of the game. In my mind officials should be consistent all game long. They're not perfect, but they need to try to be consistent. If something is a foul in the first minute, it's a foul in the last seconds of the game. I don't think Fischer gets that call no matter what. No official has enough balls.
It gets called every blue moon or so. But even more effective would have been to throw a few passes that last stretch. If nothing else get it to Emery who is one of the more effective players I've ever seen pulling up from a dead sprint and hitting a jumper.
Chase is more of a standard pull up and shoot a J if your open type player, like me.. :blush:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

4 guys were in the lane for the rebound. Hard to get everyone out in just a couple of seconds.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

BroncoBot wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
It gets called every blue moon or so. But even more effective would have been to throw a few passes that last stretch. If nothing else get it to Emery who is one of the more effective players I've ever seen pulling up from a dead sprint and hitting a jumper.
Chase is more of a standard pull up and shoot a J if your open type player, like me.. :blush:
I don't disagree that refs normally won't call fouls last second, but watching the replay a few times, the positioning here was perfect for drawing full body contact. Chase probably could have collided with this guy and gone tumbling down hard while trying to shoot. It was a higher percentage play than hoping somehow he would end up getting that shot off and have it go in. Obviously it would have been better if Chase had passed sooner, but with one second left and the way the guys were positioned, trying to draw the foul really was our best shot at staying in the game. Possibly a 40 to 50 percent chance a foul gets called, and if it wasn't called we could be legitimately complaining about getting robbed by the refs (not that that would really make me feel better). Just something I observed, but I probably wouldn't have thought of doing that if I had the ball for the last shot though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

byufan4ever wrote:
Next season is "suppose" to be "special." How many of our returning players will really make an impact next season? Emery is obviously special and very likely will be the focal point next season. Davis and Kaufusi will get big men minutes but don't expect to ever see them on the WCC All-Conference team. Chatman "could" emerge to be useful if he doesn't get beat out by other players. Seljaas is leaving on a mission. The rest (Aytes, Shaw, Hartsock, Toolson (is he ever coming back??)) I don't see ever getting more than scraps of minutes. What are you thoughts of next season?
Emery will be a starter, everyone else will come off the bench. The Lone Peak Trio if healthy can not be denied, and Dastrup and Childs are serious talents. CHilds could start at the 3 for us (he has range, and our next best option is maybe CHatman or Hartsock).

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

scott715 wrote: Oh could you show the final PER per minute?
Here you go!
BYU Season Stats.PNG
I'd say the benchmark of a good PER/Min is around 0.50. Also, the PER average for the entire team was 10.19 (Total PER / total GP) which is by far the highest since the 2004-2005 season that I have PER on. I know Rose just had another 20+ win season blah blah blah, but come on, this was one of our most talented teams (stats wise) with an extremely easy schedule and we failed to make the Big Dance. I know this is a football town and Rose has done a lot of good things, but make no mistake, WE HAVE TO MAKE THE TOURNAMENT NEXT SEASON.

And on a side note, the new attachment upload tool is real slick!