A recent recruiting miss

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: A recent recruiting miss

Post by byufan4ever »

I thought we had a scholarship crunch and with Toolson gone we would now have a scholarship for every returning + incoming players. If we're still recruiting a JC doesn't someone else have to go?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Did BYU lose him or pass on him?
Word is they lost him, he had an active scholarship offer and was wanted on this team from what I've heard.

I've also heard that there are some hard feelings between the Toolson clan and the coaching staff.
Most JC transfers would probably opt for an immediate shot at playing time at the D1 level. It's hard to imagine he'd play ahead of the guards BYU already has.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I doubt Rose is loosing any sleep over this "miss."

Of the 16 players on the roster, 10 are post players - Mika, Davis, Kaufusi, Childs, Dastrup, Hartsock, Hamson, Shaw, Aytes, and Pingree. The remaining 6 players are guards - 2 point guards and 4 shooting guards.

We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all. The poster is just trying to get some more Twitter notoriety.

If I'm not mistaken, Jake Toolson wasn't on the roster; however, he may have still been on scholarship. If he wasn't on scholarship, we're still in a crunch. Should Kaufusi opts to pursue football, I believe that frees up a scholarship.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Not a miss. Childs is probably going to start at the 3 for us. He has talked about trying it, at least. He'd be smart to do it. The NBA is going small at the 4, and Childs has NBA potential, and could fit in as a Draymond Green type player, if he works on his defense and continues working on footwork and stretch 3/4 position techniques (passing, shooting, ball on the court slashing ability).

Dastrup and Mika are our starters, and Davis and Kaufusi and Hamson and Aytes are our primary backups. Childs can play post as well, but he doesn't have an nba future as a down low banger, though he'll have a lot of success against the WCC doing that.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

kjjson
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by kjjson »

Even if BYU did want Toolson and offered him, I don't blame him for choosing UVU. He played with Haws, Emery, and Mika. Is there a part of him that felt like he should have gone Division 1 straight from High School but didn't get the chance/notoriety because of who else he played with? Does he feel like that could (likely?) happen again and this was his chance to start?

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

What I have seen is that Conner was offered walk on and was not offered a scholarship up front.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all. The poster is just trying to get some more Twitter notoriety.

I agree again with you Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a fowl shot.

Perhaps Hartsock could become a good shooting forward.

I don't like losing the Toolsons.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

"We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already. This isn't a miss at all."
I agree again with you Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a fowl shot.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

"We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already."

I agree with you again Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a foul shot. If that goes on this next year, with what may be the best front court we've had for years, we won't have any better team than we had this year.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

nuk13 wrote:"We have no shooting forwards. We need a 6' 7 - 8" wing that can shoot, preferably mid-range shots. We don't need another 6' 2 - 6" guard that likes to bomb threes. We have 6 of those already."

I agree with you again Gunk. I think we lost some games because of these guys bombing threes. A lot of those attempts could have been worked in for 2 points and perhaps a foul shot. If that goes on this next year, with what may be the best front court we've had for years, we won't have any better team than we had this year.

Jakob Hartsock 6' 8" 205
Zac Seljaas 6' 7" 215
Dalton Nixon 6' 7" 215
Were all recruited as SF that could also play a stretch 4. In Zac's case he was actually listed as a guard on the roster and I have actually heard Coach Rose say he could play the PG much like Kyle has. Zac had more assists in High School (325) than Nick Emery had. Zac can play positions 1 through 4.
Just look at those 3 player's shot selections:
Jakob Hartsock: 24-2 starts, FG 11-42 (26.2%), 3pt 10-36 (27.8%), FT 0-0 (N/A), 29 rebounds, 4 assists
Zac Seljaas: 35-1 start, FG 88-178 (49.4%), 3pt 68-136 (50.0%), FT 23-33 (69.7%), 100 rebounds, 41 assists
Dalton Nixon: 27-2 starts, FG 20-47 (42.6%), 3pt 3-18 (16.7%), FT 13-13 (100%), 45 rebounds, 21 assists

All three would have the majority of their shots as 3's, if not for the fact that Dalton shot so poorly from 3 to start the season he didn't take as many (out of his last 10 shots only 3 were from 3, he missed all 10 shots). Dalton can really shoot the ball, but his freshman year it seems like he was press a little bit to much. But High School (Orem) stats shows he can play:
Dalton Nixon: 1,376 points (111- 3's), 574 rebounds, 106 assists, and 82 steals
Zac Seljaas: 1,704 points (217- 3's), 494 rebounds, 325 assists, and 140 steals
Jakob Hartsock: Can't find any stats total in Oklahoma, through his BYU bio:
Sr- 18.6 points
Jr- 20 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, shooting- FG 49.6%, 3pt 36.6%, FT 78.0%

All three of these players normally played the 4 in High School, because they were one of if not the tallest player on there team. But it does not mean they don't have the skill set to play the 3.