Basketball at UVU

BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Basketball at UVU

Post by scott715 »

Pope at UVU is turning the program into BYU JV.

kjjson
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Basketball at UVU

Post by kjjson »

Is UVU having a quality basketball team a good thing or bad thing for BYU?
I'm wondering what effect it will have on BYU if UVU becomes competitive in basketball? We have already had several players transfer to go there, and while to this point, it hasn't hurt and I'm not concerned we will lose a star player, how does it effect our depth? Do we get people who would rather be number 1 or 2 at UVU rather than be number 5 or 6 at BYU, or is more numbers 10-12?

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

UVU having a strong team is fine with me. There is no danger of the BYU basketball program being in the UVU program's shadow any time soon.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

UVU having a strong team is fine with me. There is no danger of the BYU basketball program being in the UVU program's shadow any time soon.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Stronger BBall at all the Utah schools I think helps BYU and the other Utah schools. It's good to be known as a BBall town or state

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Fido wrote:UVU having a strong team is fine with me. There is no danger of the BYU basketball program being in the UVU program's shadow any time soon.
I don't know that I agree. We used to say that about USU in football, but in the last 5-6 years the situation has changed a bit and playing at USU football can get you into a New Year's Day bowl easier than it would at BYU.

As noted, there could easily be more depth-type players lost to an up-and-coming UVU.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

EM_Puma wrote:
Fido wrote:UVU having a strong team is fine with me. There is no danger of the BYU basketball program being in the UVU program's shadow any time soon.
I don't know that I agree. We used to say that about USU in football, but in the last 5-6 years the situation has changed a bit and playing at USU football can get you into a New Year's Day bowl easier than it would at BYU.

As noted, there could easily be more depth-type players lost to an up-and-coming UVU.
One new years bowl game would not put BYU in USU's shadow. BYU isn't in Utah's shadow and Utah has two, and a better conference affiliation.

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

I see this as a temporary thing. UVU has a good coach and BYU is stacked right now with talented starters for the next 3 or so years so good recruits are seeing an opportunity there. It would be good to have another team similar to Weber State that has success and gets to the dance with the auto bid from Utah. I don't consider it a threat to the Y.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It is not a threat until it becomes a threat. They could pull a Gonzaga and play in a crappy conference but get a lot of good non conference games and do well. Any chance that they could help draw to down some teams to play at both places to save on travel costs? Even a cross town tournament?

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Competition breeds success. I welcome the idea that BYU needs to prove themselves every year, to every recruit.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: