Post by billbillbillbill »

80k only goes so far!

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU-Utah will be back on starting in 2017--in Provo

Post by BoiseBYU »

Look at the emotional scars Hill is willing to inflict upon his team..... :)

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

ouch. That will be a tough BYU team to beat for coach K and company. I thought this whole thing was about not getting another tough game in Provo, but I'd rather play BYU in 2016 vs 2017...

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Their player safety rationale and any remaining credibility went out the window when they replaced BYU this season with........Xavier.

This Xavier:

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I don't think K had a say in it. I noticed in the Utah press release K discusses the Butler and Xavier series additions but makes no mention of BYU. That is done by Dr. Hill.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

#1: The established big donors at the U didn't want to end the rivalry. Many in the state legislature were also angry about it and they include some of the folks in group #1. The only folks who wanted to end it were coach 80k and the most recent bandwagon jumper ute fans who in general don't donate a lot of money. "Dr" Hill eventually had to listen to the folks with the money and influence. At least, that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BlueK wrote:#1: The established big donors at the U didn't want to end the rivalry. Many in the state legislature were also angry about it and they include some of the folks in group #1. The only folks who wanted to end it were coach 80k and the most recent bandwagon jumper ute fans who in general don't donate a lot of money. "Dr" Hill eventually had to listen to the folks with the money and influence. At least, that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.
I think Chris Hill wanted to end it as bad, if not worse than Coach K. I think it's only back on because state legislators were drawing up a bill to call for an independent audit of the athletic department to exert some leverage on Dr. Hill. If not for that threat, I think the series is still off.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:
BlueK wrote:#1: The established big donors at the U didn't want to end the rivalry. Many in the state legislature were also angry about it and they include some of the folks in group #1. The only folks who wanted to end it were coach 80k and the most recent bandwagon jumper ute fans who in general don't donate a lot of money. "Dr" Hill eventually had to listen to the folks with the money and influence. At least, that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.
I think Chris Hill wanted to end it as bad, if not worse than Coach K. I think it's only back on because state legislators were drawing up a bill to call for an independent audit of the athletic department to exert some leverage on Dr. Hill. If not for that threat, I think the series is still off.
Personally, would rather not play them again and let the audit unfold...

Commoner
Recruit

Post by Commoner »

snoscythe wrote:
The State Auditor's office conduct an annual audit of Utah and all the other public schools.
The threat of another audit wouldn't bother anyone on the hill.

They bowed to pressure from donors.