Only the first game...

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Only the first game...

Post by EM_Puma »

...but, it's hard not to be optimistic after that game.
Qman wrote:Davis did a few things right tonight and mostly fouled a lot.
That comment somewhat sums up my feelings thus far.

Davis's first year after sitting out a year, we really needed him and he was very serviceable and a valued addition.

Last year it became obvious that he had hit the ceiling and what we saw is what we were going to get--still a decent and important component of the team.

Now this season, it's great to have Davis on the team, but it is obvious that the total surrounding cast has been bumped up sufficiently that now we only need Davis sparingly in his senior season--when normally you would expect most players to REALLY shine. That says it all as far as where we have progressed talent wise.

There is still rust and inexperience out there, but it's just incredible that we have this many new players on the team, we lost one of our most dynamic players (Collinsworth) ever, and you can see a definite improvement. Brad Daugherty said it all last night when he commented that he thought BYU would be good this season, but not this quickly to have handled a team like Princeton that was returning all of their starters from a 22 win season.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Only the first game...

Post by EM_Puma »

I was too tired to watch the Gonzaga game last night and I should have taped it, but anyone watch it and get a real feel for where they are at this season? SDSU had beaten San Diego, but after seeing SD lose last night to Samford by 18 points, it's hard to believe that SDSU is the SDSU we're used to seeing and might have not been the test to really gauge the Bull Dogs.

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

Supposedly SDSU has some key players injured right now.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Zag v Aztecs: I watched the first four minutes before anyone scored . . . No, seriously, first basket was around 16 minute mark in the first half. I fast forwarded through the rest of the game, it never seemed like SDSU ever got into the game. Hard to tell much about the Zags from this one as SDSU didn't really pose much of a challenge. Karnowski looks huge, but slow.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I watched the first few minutes too. There were several possessions where the Zags were playing 4v5 on offense because Karnowski simply couldn't get up and down the court.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

SpiffCoug wrote:I watched the first few minutes too. There were several possessions where the Zags were playing 4v5 on offense because Karnowski simply couldn't get up and down the court.
He won't be able to keep up with Mika. Or maybe we play Kaufusi and Mika at the same time so Karnowski has to play on Kaufusi and Mika tears it up against whoever else the Zags try to put on him.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

BlueK wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I watched the first few minutes too. There were several possessions where the Zags were playing 4v5 on offense because Karnowski simply couldn't get up and down the court.
He won't be able to keep up with Mika. Or maybe we play Kaufusi and Mika at the same time so Karnowski has to play on Kaufusi and Mika tears it up against whoever else the Zags try to put on him.
Even with Kafusi out there Karnowski plays Mika. Kafusi is no threat. Mika will have a tough time with Karnowski too. I'm looking forward to that match up