No consequences for bad shots?

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: No consequences for bad shots?

Post by nuk13 »

Really though every shot looks like a bad shot when you're shooting reasonable 3 pointers and only making 10% of them.[/quote]

Hawk, I think you've hit on something here. How many games were won last year and this with the 3 point shot? How many were lost because of it? I'd like to see stats on it. How many missed 3 pointers end up as points for the other team. The 3 point shooters seem to think the next one will go in. All too soon time has expired and BYU has lost the game.

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Two words. Elijah Bryant. The guy came here with all the hype in the world, and after 5 games of Bryant playing some of the most selfish basketball I have ever seen in my life (churchball included) he is now likely a permanent fixture on the bench.

Rose gets it.

Why didn't Rose bench LJ Rose earlier, is what I wonder? When they went to a zone a big part of the reason that the cougars had trouble scoring is because the Trojans clearly left Rose unguarded and doubled Mika and Emery. Rose had 3 or 4 times a possession where the ball would come to him at the top of the key and there wouldn't be anyone within 6 feet of him. Rose just sat there with the ball until the defense adjusted right back to him. It was weirdest thing to watch. Even Matt Montague would take a wide open 16 foot jumper or 3. Rose did the right thing benching him, but it was too late. You'll notice when BYU went on the scoring streaks, it was with Haws or Guinn (or Beo) at point and Emery at the 2. Gotta shoot that open J. You just have to.

Why doesn't he bench Emery? Because he likes it when his guards score more than 7 or 8 points a night, which is not something anyone besides Emery or Haws are capable of doing on a nightly basis. Also, Emery is the single best defender we have on the arc.
To be honest, I never got the hype surrounding Bryant. I think he'll continue to progress the next several years and become a decent player for us. But he was from ELON. That's not even a real word, let alone a basketball power that plays in some strong league.
BYU had to out-recruit some pretty good teams to get him though (all of which are playing better than we are right now). Maybe they were all wrong too. Or maybe he's never come back enough from his knee injury.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Emery is a bit overrated IMO. His defense is keeping him on the court and we need every ounce of perimeter defense we can muster. That and he clearly isn't afraid to shoot it, which our PG is.

Bryant is/was a ball hog. A couple good games at the beginning of the season against softies likely got to Bryant's head.

LJ needs to shoot more. We can't have a PG that isn't some sort of scoring threat. The inside out game doesn't work if there is only one outside option. We can't afford to play 4 on 5.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel