When #1 rolls into Provo...

BYU Cougars on the court.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: When #1 rolls into Provo...

Post by BoiseBYU »

I wondered at the decision to double down low and give up open threes. I know there's a Hobbesean choice to be had, but I would have put my faith and trust on Mikva versus the Beluga Whale one on one and defending the perimeter than what the coaches opted for and stuck with. This team is not bad and they are not coached poorly. I think things can get better but I think for most fans there is a false expectation that is being battered more so than the team is disappointing....

bigblahla
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

When #1 rolls into Provo...they got Challenged!!!

Post by bigblahla »

Wow...impressed....where has that defense been? Interesting game on many fronts....hats off to the Cougars...Williams Goss is an assassin and the guys around him aren't to shabby....little Hawes came of age...Mika left no doubt he belonged...Childs is scary good and could become scary great...Bryant is no Slouch...could be a heck of a game in Spokane....more importantly if you get to the title game of the WCC tournament you have a punchers chance....give the players on both TEAMS all the credit for a highly contested exciting game...as a Zag fan I'm amazed at the Streak they have established in leading games...heads up Cougar fans it's always darkest before the dawn and if you care to look you might see a little sunlight...

Go!! Zags!!!

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I was impressed with GU.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If there was any light to come from this game it was our defense. Our defense kept us in this game and I hope that's what the team takes away, that they can compete with the best by focusing on defense.

We shot 35% last night while Gonzaga shot 45% . Mika went 5 for 15. If we had shot anywhere close to our percentage and kept the defense up we would have walked away with a W. Gonzaga had 14 turnovers, we kept it to 9.

Gonzaga also out rebounded us 47 to 34. Boards and shots not falling doomed us. We shot 27% from behind the arc. I think this is the worst 3 point shooting team we've had in the last 20 years. I'd take JT back in a heart beat.

This team has the talent. The mental game, discipline, and hunger are lacking. They need to bring it every night.

Unless Rose is killing it on defense, he needs to be on the bench. Same with Emery.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star

Re: When #1 rolls into Provo...they got Challenged!!!

Post by BoiseBYU »

bigblahla wrote:Wow...impressed....where has that defense been? Interesting game on many fronts....hats off to the Cougars...Williams Goss is an assassin and the guys around him aren't to shabby....little Hawes came of age...Mika left no doubt he belonged...Childs is scary good and could become scary great...Bryant is no Slouch...could be a heck of a game in Spokane....more importantly if you get to the title game of the WCC tournament you have a punchers chance....give the players on both TEAMS all the credit for a highly contested exciting game...as a Zag fan I'm amazed at the Streak they have established in leading games...heads up Cougar fans it's always darkest before the dawn and if you care to look you might see a little sunlight...

Go!! Zags!!!
Congrats on the win. You have a very very good team. Our team is very young and the upside is promising! On to Spokane

McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

Zags have a remarkable team this year, so can't get too down over the loss (as much as I would have loved to see a W). Williams Goss is a nightmare to face. Karnowski is more than a beast (plus, he has a respectable beard).

Tale of two halves last night. 2nd half was enormous improvement over the 1st. Why does BYU play a tale of two halves so often? It is frustrating to not see consistent play. Wouldn't it be great to see not only a baseline of consistent great team effort, but an occasional streak of above and beyond team ball?

I am hoping Zags hit a lull or slump right around WCC conference time, with Cougs hitting its high at that time, and that both face each other in the Championship. Could make for an interesting game.

I am not in the group calling for a Coachectomy at this point, particularly not based on this game against a #1 ranked team. Lots of things to give encouragement when you take a step back. I know that does not put a W on the record, but I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Just my two cents.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think Goss is the league MVP.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I finally got to watch this game and here is my 2 cents:

It was clear early on that we as a team were intimidated by their size and physical play. Over the course of the game we adjusted but they are too good for us to spot them 10 points. I liked our effort defensively and we missed some shots we normally make. But in the end Gonzaga was clearly a better squad last night.

Karnowski was too strong for Mika to do his normal moves and in the second half we figured out how to get Mika the ball on the move where his quickness was an advantage. That and Mika didn't really face-up and try to blow by Karnowski.

TJ had a good game but at times it felt like no one else wanted to take a shot. I keep telling myself he is going to get stronger before next season...I hope.

Bryant looked a little unsure of what shots were good shots from him. But he settled down as the game went on.

Emery was hacking like a wild man and picked up fouls quickly.

LJ Rose needs to be told that if doesn't want to shoot he can sit on the bench. I am sick of him passing up wide open looks.

Childs didn't know how to handle Gonzaga's aggression on the offensive glass. He played an okay game but some of these mistakes just have be cleaned up.

I liked the TJ-Bryant-Guinn-Childs-Mika lineup. It gives us size defensively and clear roles for everyone.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb