WCC All Conference Team

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: WCC All Conference Team

Post by EM_Puma »

Gunk wrote:Emery has been in a slump offensively the last half of WCC play. His 1st half stats have padded his season stats.

Overall, BYU is filled with freshman and sophomores. I'm not offended that some of our guys didn't make it on the lists. We'll have more on there next year.
The positive of the whole ordeal is that he'll have a chip on his shoulder next year that hopefully improves his game.

nuk13
All-American

Re: WCC All Conference Final

Post by nuk13 »

EM_Puma wrote:Honestly, if you were picking teams and you could pick Nick or TJ. Who are you picking? I'd take Nick.
I'll take Haws.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

nuk13 wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:Honestly, if you were picking teams and you could pick Nick or TJ. Who are you picking? I'd take Nick.
I'll take Haws.
The only one to respond.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

Remember these award are voted on by coaches. Basically the WCC coaches think Haws is a better player than Emery. And I for one agree.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Haws has shown better than Emery in this year's conference play, they have both been underwhelming and a disappointment though, in my opinion.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I can't disagree Hawk. They've both had good games but weren't consistent. I hope we're proven wrong in the next games and for sure next year. They are young and Haws is just off his mission. The commentators on the Gonzaga game kept referring to the team being mostly freshmen and sophomores so they should have a lot of upside.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

hawkwing wrote:Haws has shown better than Emery in this year's conference play, they have both been underwhelming and a disappointment though, in my opinion.
The only one I've been "disappointed" in is Emery. He has a full season under his belt. There should be marked improvement from last year. His defense got better, which is under appreciated, but his shot selection stayed the same. All he would need to do is take better shots and he'd be a much more effective player.

Before this season TJ hadn't played competitive ball for two years. The jump from high school to D1 alone is a big transition. Trying to do it after having not played in two years is tough. The disappointment in TJ by fans is hyper critical, IMO, and has more to do with unrealistic expectations.

Oh, Mika, Tyler, and Collinsworth came back from missions no problem, some may argue. Well, those players already had a year of D1 hoops under their belts. They knew what they were getting into. TJ graduated high school, disappeared for 2 years, and jumped into D1 hoops. Expecting him to be a world-beater is unrealistic, IMO.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Haws has shown better than Emery in this year's conference play, they have both been underwhelming and a disappointment though, in my opinion.
The only one I've been "disappointed" in is Emery. He has a full season under his belt. There should be marked improvement from last year. His defense got better, which is under appreciated, but his shot selection stayed the same. All he would need to do is take better shots and he'd be a much more effective player.

Before this season TJ hadn't played competitive ball for two years. The jump from high school to D1 alone is a big transition. Trying to do it after having not played in two years is tough. The disappointment in TJ by fans is hyper critical, IMO, and has more to do with unrealistic expectations.

Oh, Mika, Tyler, and Collinsworth came back from missions no problem, some may argue. Well, those players already had a year of D1 hoops under their belts. They knew what they were getting into. TJ graduated high school, disappeared for 2 years, and jumped into D1 hoops. Expecting him to be a world-beater is unrealistic, IMO.
interesting that the one guy you critique is the one guy, who I can think of, who went from HS to mission to BYU and made a huge impact. freshman - nick Emery. guy had a dang good year last year. I hope tj doesn't have a similar slump and also hope we see more of the old nick emery.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

EM_Puma wrote:
nuk13 wrote:
I'll take Haws.
The only one to respond.
So, 100% of respondents? Or were you insinuating a silent majority disagrees?

I'd take Haws as well.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I'd take emery.

Just a reminder how good he was Freshman year.
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/6/3/ ... -greatness
He's battled some stuff this year, and I think the whole team (minus mika) is still trying to figure out their roles. If nick gets things figured out for the tournament, BYU may have a sporting chance. although, I'm not too confident seeing as how Rose had to call out his team for being to relaxed following a win in Spokane.