Gonzaga student letter to the editor

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Gonzaga student letter to the editor

Post by hawkwing »

This was posted to the Gonzaga Bulletin, what I presume is the school newspaper.

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/opinion/ ... 339f9.html
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:04 pm | Updated: 1:29 pm, Wed Mar 1, 2017.
Joseph Harshbarger | Senior | 7 comments
We lost in more ways than one Saturday night. Not only was BYU’s final score higher than the Zags’, but some students showed an ugly, hidden side of the Gonzaga student body that includes using religion as a means of criticism. Saturday night, a simple basketball game turned into a sort of religious crusade: Catholics vs. Mormons. Students filled the kennel dressed in stereotypical missionary clothes, others informing friends of their conscious effort to dress “un-Mormon” and some even using derogatory language to shake the opposing players. Before the game even began, discussions of archaic Mormon policies regarding polygamy and other stereotypes could be heard throughout campus, all in anticipation of the big game of GU vs. BYU. We students used derogatory comments based on the opposing players’ religion in attempts to distract them from performing well. Did this really help the Zags win?
Now, some may say that those of the Mormon faith have “strange” and/or “different” ideas. Let us note the various aspects of Catholicism that may appear “strange” to the outsider: the crucifix, the stigmata, the Papacy, Holy Communion, the gymnastics exhibition that is a Catholic mass and the Church’s obsession with holy relics, just to name a few. Do BYU students come to games and waive crucifixes at us? Do BYU students come dressed as 15th century priests ready to execute witch trials on those who are deemed “crazy” for their ideas? The GU Mission statement emphasizes our need to “foster a mature commitment to dignity of the human person, social justice, diversity [and] intercultural competence.” Students’ childish gibes at BYU players continually undermine the heart of what GU should and could be. Would it not be more beneficial to use that same energy on positive support for our Zags?
The founder of the Society of Jesus, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, encouraged everyone to go and “set the world on fire.” We as students have a responsibility to act as role models to show just how great we are at winning basketball games and encouraging inclusion, both in and outside of the Kennel.
Our country is facing a period of religious intolerance. We as young people have the duty to show the world that difference must and should be celebrated. Sports offer a wonderful opportunity for players to shed their national and religious identities, and to join together and play. Why do we as GU students feel entitled to mock and criticize the religion of other players?
Famed football player and coach Vince Lombardi is noted for saying: “Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” It is never easy to lose a game (especially after winning 29), but losing is a part of life. Do not let GU lose again; stand up against the religious cultural appropriation and create a positive, inclusive campus that finds joy in difference, not an outfit for the next basketball game.
Joseph Harshbarger is a senior studying international relations.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Gonzaga student letter to the editor

Post by byufan4ever »

Watching the game on TV I didn't notice. I still remember SDSU doing the missionary thing. I think it's kinda funny but it has stuck with me and always made me want us to beat them a little more. Maybe a little classless, but I never lost any sleep over it. However, there would definitely be more of an uproar if like he said we dressed up like Catholic priests or if we were to play a HBCU and paint our skins black or wave a confederate flag. But I try not to be offended easily.

I really wanted to see how other Gonzaga fans reacted to the letter and read their comments to see how many agree or disagree, but it seems that when I went to read it all 8 comments were from BYU fans. Don't we have a Gonzaga fan that posts here from time to time? I'd love to get his reaction.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by IowaCougar »

I think the letter is extremely well written and well thought out. Although I think most LDS members have grown thick skins on this kind of behavior, it's still bothersome to see. I assume the letter-writer was there in person at the game, and therefore saw the behavior that wasn't shown on screen.

I actually appreciate the fact that the network is mostly avoiding showing this kind of behavior at games - maybe if it gets less attention from TV, it will start to die out.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

IowaCougar wrote:I think the letter is extremely well written and well thought out. Although I think most LDS members have grown thick skins on this kind of behavior, it's still bothersome to see. I assume the letter-writer was there in person at the game, and therefore saw the behavior that wasn't shown on screen.

I actually appreciate the fact that the network is mostly avoiding showing this kind of behavior at games - maybe if it gets less attention from TV, it will start to die out.
Just wondering re: opponents dressing up as missionaries - does that offend anyone here? I find it kind of funny, not that they dress as missionaries, but that they think that that is going to get under someone's skin??? I'd find it much more offensive if they did something about Christ,and I think dressing/mocking a priest would be disrespectful. But mormon missionaries? Not offensive to me. Good letter anyway though.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I applaud the author of the letter. I love their high standards which you don't see much in the world.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I don't find dressing up as a missionary or a priest as offensive.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I find it offensive. It's done out of mockery. It isn't done out of respect. They aren't going trick or treating or putting on a play. They are dressing up as "mormons" for the sole purpose of making fun of Mormons.

Now, I think in the end it back fires because they just look foolish, especially when called out. SDSU got a lot of bad press for it and Gonzaga is one camera shot away from getting the same thing. I'm sure ESPN made a conscious effort to not show the "clever" costumes.

Course this isn't the first time. As Mormons we're used to it. And, in the end it provides some extra motivation for the team. Now, we really want to beat Gonzaga for personal reasons. They're poking fun of our religion.

Yes, over the centuries Mormons have developed a thick skin -- it's our cross to bear -- but we shouldn't have to and just because we may have developed thick skin that doesn't make it right or a good thing.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

I find the dressing as a missionary thing classless and offensive, but also believe that the ones wearing missionary outfits are probably college kids who may have not given much thought to what they're doing. This is not to a valid excuse for offensive behavior, just an explanation, or partial explanation, in my mind.

I like the letter. I think the message it conveys could be applied to many groups and people these days. these days.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

This is a very well written letter. Harshbarger exhibits intelligence and tolerance. The letter could be sent to many schools where derisive signs and costumes too often occur. It is difficult to find the line between making fun of your opponent and belittling them. As he says, it's a game.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think dressing as missionaries/priests is dumb.

I also think complaining about it is dumb.

I did a lot of dumb stuff at that age that I regret, so I'm more than willing to leave be and let them come to regret it in their own time and maturation.