BYU vs St. Mary's

BYU Cougars on the court.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs St. Mary's

Post by Fido »

When I hear about Rose's up tempo offense, it just sounds one dimensional. So if a team (like St. Mary's) is able to shut down that dimension, you have nothing and the game gets ugly in a hurry. With players who can't get on the floor moving on to other schools and having success, I can't help but think the problem isn't that Rose can't get athletes....but maybe he isn't using his athletes to take advantage of their games. Are BYU's teams really lacking in skill to the point that run and gun is the only game they can play? Isn't Mika and Childs as your interior rotation worth running some half court offense for?

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Problem is, up-tempo starts with defense. If you're not getting rebounds (i.e. the other team is making baskets like Saint Mary's), not getting steals, and not getting turnovers, you don't have the opportunity to play up-tempo because there is no transition game to be had--the other team has plenty of time after made baskets to get down the court and set up on D.

So, we have team that wants to play up-tempo, but is inept or unwilling to play defense. That's not a recipe for anything close to success or consistency.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

McY wrote:Abysmal showing last night. Painful to watch. I had to avert the eyes at some point in the 2nd half.

In addition to the coaching complaints being tossed around, I am going to toss out an additional theory that I believe has plagued this team this year -- and this is not based on much more than my lay observations this year. This team lacks mental confidence and toughness. Maybe I'm totally wrong. But, how can a mentally tough, confident, and positive thinking team, with this level of physical talent, explain the losses to UVU or SD? Sure, there is the occasional glimpse of great play and we pull off solid wins, e.g., beating #1 Gonzaga. In many other instances, we pull off egregious losses to teams that do not have better talent. I also see too much complaining to the refs, although in last night's game I didn't see as much of that going on as earlier in the season. So, in addition to potential coaching questions, when I see losses like last night, plus distracting complaints to the refs, and lack of cohesive play, I think the team is not mentally in a good place.

Last night's game was so frustrating to watch. I hope that the version of the team that beat Gonzaga reappears for the NIT and that we do not see players complaining to refs so often and that we see a team that appears to be mentally focused and confident.

This is the end of this rant, for now.
That's a good rant and I would agree.

The only reason we should ever lose to UVU or most WCC teams is a mental breakdown. We have superior talent (even our bench) and solid coaching.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:Problem is, up-tempo starts with defense. If you're not getting rebounds (i.e. the other team is making baskets like Saint Mary's), not getting steals, and not getting turnovers, you don't have the opportunity to play up-tempo because there is no transition game to be had--the other team has plenty of time after made baskets to get down the court and set up on D.

So, we have team that wants to play up-tempo, but is inept or unwilling to play defense. That's not a recipe for anything close to success or consistency.
Frankly, it is why I don't watch BYU basketball. Sports are supposed to be fun, and it is just too aggravating to watch a team play no defense.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I know this is a week old but I am astounded that BYU could beat the undefeated number one team in the nation and a few days later get splattered all over the court. You guys have explained it very well (match up problems) but it is still astounding. I could swallow a 10 point or so loss but 31 points leaves a lot of questions.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I had a dream/nightmare last night that for the NIT game tonight we ended up playing St. Mary's instead for some reason and they slaughtered us again...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote:I had a dream/nightmare last night that for the NIT game tonight we ended up playing St. Mary's instead for some reason and they slaughtered us again...
The team we are playing is very similar offensively and in match-ups to Saint Mary's, just with not quite as all around good talent.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:I had a dream/nightmare last night that for the NIT game tonight we ended up playing St. Mary's instead for some reason and they slaughtered us again...
The team we are playing is very similar offensively and in match-ups to Saint Mary's, just with not quite as all around good talent.
They play at a faster tempo though and like to press on defense. Those differences I think actually help us.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...