Dave Rose - Job Security

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dave Rose - Job Security

Post by hawkwing »

I like seeing your stats and grading point of view. Interesting thoughts!

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever, you have BYU having won a tournament game in the 13-14 season, but looking up the tournament results BYU wasn't in the first round (last in) and they didn't win the round of 64. So I think that's may be in error.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:49 pm
First (and you didn't bring this up but Jarhead did), his job security should have NOTHING to do with what is happening with the football program. Again, could anyone here realistically go to their boss and say, "I'm not performing as good as I should but that's ok because Johnny in the other department is a far worse employee than I am"? Rose's performance has to be looked at in a vacuum.
Actually something along these lines happens all the time. Employers often focus their energies on taking corrective action on their problem employees while promoting or ignoring other employees who have smaller, less noticeable problems. AD's only have 24 hours in their day. If they spend 18 of those hours working on the dumpster fire of the football program, they will not have the time to focus on other areas. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, it's just reality.

The flip side of this coin is the "devil we know" mentality. Even if a bug gets planted in the ear of the admin that we should not be complacent with 20 win seasons, the Admin will now be forced to say - "yeah, like we shouldn't have been complacent with 9 win football seasons; let's finish cleaning up that mess before we begin another one..."

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Actually something along these lines happens all the time. Employers often focus their energies on taking corrective action on their problem employees while promoting or ignoring other employees who have smaller, less noticeable problems. AD's only have 24 hours in their day. If they spend 18 of those hours working on the dumpster fire of the football program, they will not have the time to focus on other areas. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, it's just reality.

The flip side of this coin is the "devil we know" mentality. Even if a bug gets planted in the ear of the admin that we should not be complacent with 20 win seasons, the Admin will now be forced to say - "yeah, like we shouldn't have been complacent with 9 win football seasons; let's finish cleaning up that mess before we begin another one..."
Exactly

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I think Rose may be enjoying a minor upswing in job security given how horrible the football team is but if Rose doesn't perform this season (fails to make the NCAA tourney) his job security will plummet.

Fans won't be able to take two failed sports. The heat will be intense for Rose if he doesn't win. All the angst from the football season will just carry over to basketball.

People are looking for basketball to save them from their woes. If Rose delivers, he'll gain a lot more fans.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel