McKay Cannon

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: McKay Cannon

Post by frdbtr »

what we've needed from our guards is to take care of the ball, hit an open shot when it's there and play solid defense on the 3 point line. So far, that is what I'm seeing from them this year. We simply haven't had that for years with BYU. This team is looking good so far and if it continues to improve might pleasantly surprise us.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm Uh, we are 6-2, with some good wins and good losses - and at halftime we just held our opponent to 17 points, which is the first time in forever we can say that. Maybe lighten up a bit, and watch a game once in a while. Anyone watching the games has been pretty happy about what they see.
We can always count on you to declare that someone with a different opinion either isn't as smart or informed as you.

Here is how BYU has started out the last two seasons and this season:

2015-16:
7-3
Losses to: Colorado, Utah, Long Beach State
Wins: UVU, Adams State, Miss Valley State, Belmont, Weber State, Utah State, Central Michigan

2016-17:
7-3
Losses to: Valpo, UVU, USC
Wins: Princeton, Coppin State, Coastal Carolina, St Louis, Utah State, Weber State, Colorado

2017-18:
7-2
Losses to: UT Arlington, Alabama
Wins: Mississippi Valley State, Princeton, Niagara, UMass, UVU, Utah State, Illinois State

I'm not seeing a basis for all the optimism that the team has turned a corner here. BYU is doing what it's done the last few seasons--beat some patsies, lose to one or two, and then go on to the conference slate. Last year we held both San Francisco and Pacific to 22 first half points, but I don't remember anyone claiming that we had arrived defensively at that point. I guess holding the #220 scoring offense to 5 points less than that is a harbinger of lasting change now?

A loss to UT Arlington at home? That's not a good loss at all. Close wins over UMass and Niagara? Wins are wins, but some leave you queasy.

I hope just as much as anyone that BYU does in fact turn it around, but so far they're on about the same trend as they were the past two seasons.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 am
Brayden Green wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm Uh, we are 6-2, with some good wins and good losses - and at halftime we just held our opponent to 17 points, which is the first time in forever we can say that. Maybe lighten up a bit, and watch a game once in a while. Anyone watching the games has been pretty happy about what they see.
We can always count on you to declare that someone with a different opinion either isn't as smart or informed as you.

Here is how BYU has started out the last two seasons and this season:

2015-16:
7-3
Losses to: Colorado, Utah, Long Beach State
Wins: UVU, Adams State, Miss Valley State, Belmont, Weber State, Utah State, Central Michigan

2016-17:
7-3
Losses to: Valpo, UVU, USC
Wins: Princeton, Coppin State, Coastal Carolina, St Louis, Utah State, Weber State, Colorado

2017-18:
7-2
Wins: Mississippi Valley State, Princeton, Niagara, UMass, UVU, Utah State, Illinois State

I'm not seeing a basis for all the optimism that the team has turned a corner here. BYU is doing what it's done the last few seasons--beat some patsies, lose to one or two, and then go on to the conference slate. Last year we held both San Francisco and Pacific to 22 first half points, but I don't remember anyone claiming that we had arrived defensively at that point. I guess holding the #220 scoring offense to 5 points less than that is a harbinger of lasting change now?

A loss to UT Arlington at home? That's not a good loss at all. Close wins over UMass and Niagara? Wins are wins, but some leave you queasy.

I hope just as much as anyone that BYU does in fact turn it around, but so far they're on about the same trend as they were the past two seasons.
*deflating balloon sound*

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU post-Cannon is better than BYU pre-Cannon. That helps with optimism, because Cannon hasn't played the entire season.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cannon is to baskettball what Joe Critchlow was to football after the UNLV game.

Jerrond
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Jerrond »

[/quote]
*deflating balloon sound*
[/quote]

Whoopee cushion?

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 am
I'm not sure that is fair. I think I deal with people that have differing opinions as well as anyone on the board.
2017-18:
7-2

I'm not seeing a basis for all the optimism that the team has turned a corner here. BYU is doing what it's done the last few seasons--beat some patsies, lose to one or two, and then go on to the conference slate.

Agree to disagree. The combined record of both teams BYU lost to is 14-3. Sure, no one is really playing world beaters right now, but I see a different team this year.

I think that the UT Arlington loss looks fine right now, and will look better as the season goes. They are a good team that returns 4 or 5 starters and 11 of 13 overall players from last year's NIT team. To lose to them in - what - the second game of the year? Basketball isn't about perfection. It is about the grind. We have a bench deep enough to grind this year.

I'm happy with the overall effort and talent I see, and I expect that to get better as we move into a worse part of our schedule.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

This team is a lot more fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the game on Saturday, which really hasn't been the case the last few years.

For me, watching sports is about being entertained. The last 3 years were frustrating. When there was a game, I found myself debating whether to watch it or not and whether I did depended on how confident I was that the team would win.

I want to watch this year's team play regardless of whether they win or lose.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I think right now it's hard to make the case that this is the same as last year in that we didn't lose to UVU. And UVU is most likely better than they were last year. It's basically the same team with some added pieces. Neilson who killed us last year isn't even good enough to start for them this year.

Fans are funny. I hate to see BYU lose, but the prospect doesn't scare me into refusing to enjoy the wins or having the hope of enjoying a fun season. I remember even during Jimmer's senior year there were a lot of BYU fan skeptics on these message boards for the first half of the season who were refusing to get too excited until we played UNLV on the road that year, even though we were playing well and had a very good, experienced team. Well, we crushed UNLV and the rest is history. Not to say this team is that good. But just enjoy what's in front of you would be my advice. It's been much more enjoyable basketball so far than over the last two years. I think we look good tomorrow against Weber and then take out the Utes next week.
Last edited by BlueK on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I absolutely enjoy it, but that doesn't mean I have to buy into unbridled optimism for the future and start crowning new princes after every win.