BYU vs SMC

BYU Cougars on the court.
nuk13
All-American
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by nuk13 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am

SpiffCoug wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm
The game was lost 11 seconds into OT when Yeoli got Landale in the air, drew the contact and the refs swallowed the whistle and didn't foul out SMC's best player.

After that, BYU continued their complete scatter-brain play that was a continuation of how they played the final 5:41 after going up 55-49.

Over the final 5:41, BYU went 1-6 (0-2 from 3) and had 2 turnovers. While SMC when 6-8 (2-4) with 1 TO.

Then in OT, BYU went 2-9 w/ 2 turnovers.

4 of BYU's 12 turnovers came in the final 10 minutes of the game as did 12 of BYU's 25 missed shots. So over the final 22% of the game, BYU committed 33% of their turnovers and had 48% of the shots they missed.
The question is, can it be fixed? Could Dastrup have made the difference?

User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12760
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by SpiffCoug » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Can it be fixed? I think so. The BYU defense was much better when Yeoli wasn't the one guarding Landale. Yeoli started the game 10-15 shooting. Then when he began to be the primary defender on Landale, because Rose went small ball with Seljaas at the 4 instead of Childs, his offense stopped and finished the game on 1-8 shooting.

He was going tit-for-tat with Landale, offensively, when he didn't have to guard him. Dastrup had 5 rebounds in 11 minutes. Worthington added 3 in 19 minutes. Seljaas had 0 in 18 minutes. Dastrup should have played more. Seljaas less.
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5639
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by Gunk » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 pm

Yeah, I don't get the choice to go small. Maybe Rose thought Childs would do better against Landale and going smaller/quicker would allow us to stay out on perimeter shooters better...I don't know.

Either way, Dastrup was having a great game and Rose benched him. At the same time, SMC went "big." Hopefully Rose learns from this.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5587
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by Brayden Green » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9262
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by BroncoBot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm
I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
I'd be happy if smc was your typically ranked team. They aren't this year. BYU should have won that game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by frdbtr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 am

BroncoBot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Brayden Green wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm
I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
I'd be happy if smc was your typically ranked team. They aren't this year. BYU should have won that game.
I agree with this. BYU should go through the WCC undefeated at home practically every year and yet we have dropped more games at home to WCC foe's than we ever did in the MWC. This is a disapointing loss.

User avatar
ABYUFAN
Heisman Winner
Posts: 2836
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:59 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by ABYUFAN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 am

frdbtr wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 am
BroncoBot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Brayden Green wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm
I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
I'd be happy if smc was your typically ranked team. They aren't this year. BYU should have won that game.
I agree with this. BYU should go through the WCC undefeated at home practically every year and yet we have dropped more games at home to WCC foe's than we ever did in the MWC. This is a disapointing loss.
I'm gonna be lazy and not look it up but I'm quite certain that this isn't true. One of the years that Rose won the MWC his team was 10-6 in league play.

User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7807
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by snoscythe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 am

OT was a failure because of a stupid strategy.

The plan seemed to be "let's get Landale to foul out"......and nothing else.

Every play was to set up iso on Landale, huck the ball at the rim, and then turn and look at the refs instead of even contemplating trivial things like rebounds. BYU didn't get a single offensive rebound in OT because (1) we were playing Seljaas instead of Dastrup/Worthington, (2) the other four players were at the three point line to get the iso on Landale, and (3) Yeoli and Bryant were holding hands out to referees after misses begging for calls instead of following their shots for rebounds or putbacks.

After the first no-call, Rose should have put a plan B into action, but that never happened, and guys begging with refs for calls on the way down to the defensive end of the court instead of finding their guy or getting into position put stress on the rest of the defense and gave SMU wide open threes in the confusion.

Something to learn from, but not worth the price of the lesson.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by frdbtr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm

ABYUFAN wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 am
frdbtr wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 am
BroncoBot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Brayden Green wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm
I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
I'd be happy if smc was your typically ranked team. They aren't this year. BYU should have won that game.
I agree with this. BYU should go through the WCC undefeated at home practically every year and yet we have dropped more games at home to WCC foe's than we ever did in the MWC. This is a disapointing loss.
I'm gonna be lazy and not look it up but I'm quite certain that this isn't true. One of the years that Rose won the MWC his team was 10-6 in league play.
BYU's record in the MWC was as follows:

05-06 12-4 T 2nd
06-07 13-3 1st
07-08 14-2 1st
08-09 12-4 T 1st
09-10 13-3 2nd
10-11 14-2 T 1st

I can't find the home losses but I would find it hard pressed to find many in those stats. I can't remember the exact number but BYU had like a 60 game home winning streak in MWC play that stretched from the Cleveland into the Rose coaching years. BYU didn't lose a home game to the MWC until the utes beat us somewhere in the middle of those years above. BYU didn't lose a home game under Rose until a very good Tim Duncan led Wake forest team beat us. I stand by my statement that BYU has lost more home games to WCC foe's than MWC foe's and any loss to a WCC foe at home is a major disapointment. I am not giving up on this team, they are still young but IMO they should not have lost that game on Saturday. By the way, their 10-6 conference record was 12-13 in the WCC.

User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7807
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs SMC

Post by snoscythe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm
ABYUFAN wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 am
frdbtr wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 am
BroncoBot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm
Brayden Green wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 pm
I'm happy. They had a shot to win at the buzzer. They played like a bunch of freshmen and sophomores in overtime, which makes sense. We own this series going forward. I can't wait until we get back to the time where we have Juniors and Seniors out on the court on a regular basis :)

Good effort, great defense for the most part. They just tightened up towards the end and in OT, and St. Mary's hit some BIG shots.
I'd be happy if smc was your typically ranked team. They aren't this year. BYU should have won that game.
I agree with this. BYU should go through the WCC undefeated at home practically every year and yet we have dropped more games at home to WCC foe's than we ever did in the MWC. This is a disapointing loss.
I'm gonna be lazy and not look it up but I'm quite certain that this isn't true. One of the years that Rose won the MWC his team was 10-6 in league play.
BYU's record in the MWC was as follows:

05-06 12-4 T 2nd
06-07 13-3 1st
07-08 14-2 1st
08-09 12-4 T 1st
09-10 13-3 2nd
10-11 14-2 T 1st

I can't find the home losses but I would find it hard pressed to find many in those stats.
I found them:

05-06 -- one home loss. It was a non-conf loss to WCC's LMU to open the season.
06-07 -- undefeated at home.
07-08 -- undefeated at home (did lose to Mich St @ the Delta Center)
08-09 -- two home losses. A non-conf loss to #6 WF to break a 53 game home-winning streak, then lost a conference game to UNLV two and a half weeks later.
09-10 -- one home loss. MWC loss to #10 UNM.
10-11 -- one home loss. MWC loss to UNM -- first game after the Davies suspension.

So, over the course of 6 seasons, we lost only 2 non-conference games at home (one to #6 ranked team), and only 3 conference losses at home (one to a #10 ranked team).

Post Reply