Classic Jay Drew Spin

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Classic Jay Drew Spin

Post by snoscythe »

Jay Drew has an article today about BYU hoops' international recruiting, specifically Agasiy Tonoyan from Russia.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... mplicated/

Drew tries to blame the hold-up on Tonoyan's recruiting on BYU's stricter English scores requirement, but later in the story admits that Tonoyan also did not receive NCAA clearance on his transcripts, meaning he is ineligible to play anywhere in the NCAA, not just BYU.

He also does not mention whether Tonoyan's English scores would have been good enough to get into other WCC schools. He just tries to paint a story of a kid who could play anywhere else, but BYU is too demanding.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Classic Jay Drew Spin

Post by Gunk »

College is supposed to be about getting an education. I can see why the NCAA would have some hoops in place when it comes to transcripts.

I doubt BYU was the hold up. There are plenty of international students at BYU that can barely speak a word of English.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
coachK
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by coachK »

Like every math TA I ever had :sulk:

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am Jay Drew has an article today about BYU hoops' international recruiting, specifically Agasiy Tonoyan from Russia.

Drew tries to blame the hold-up on Tonoyan's recruiting on BYU's stricter English scores requirement, but later in the story admits that Tonoyan also did not receive NCAA clearance on his transcripts, meaning he is ineligible to play anywhere in the NCAA, not just BYU.

He also does not mention whether Tonoyan's English scores would have been good enough to get into other WCC schools. He just tries to paint a story of a kid who could play anywhere else, but BYU is too demanding.
So does this mean that you went forward and paid for an online subscription to SLTrib?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:06 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am Jay Drew has an article today about BYU hoops' international recruiting, specifically Agasiy Tonoyan from Russia.

So does this mean that you went forward and paid for an online subscription to SLTrib?
Nope. Get 10 free articles before the paywall kicks in. According to my browser history, this was my 2nd Trib article for February, so I don't ever foresee running into that paywall.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:06 pm
EM_Puma wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Nope. Get 10 free articles before the paywall kicks in. According to my browser history, this was my 2nd Trib article for February, so I don't ever foresee running into that paywall.
I'm not sure that I have any interest in reading 10 trib articles total...

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

My theory is that Drew is a Russian bot.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

coachK wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:56 pm Like every math TA I ever had :sulk:
Worst experience of my life was taking an Introduction to College Algebra class my last semester at BYU to finish of an overlooked general requirement. That was 9 years since I took my previous math class in high school.

TA who taught the class was from Hong Kong and I (with a moderate hearing defect) couldn't understand a lick of anything, even with one-on-one sessions. With a herculean effort I was able to pass with a 43% on the final to get me 1% point above failing.